Trader Joe's

Options
Ck228
Ck228 Posts: 25 Member
We just got a Trader Joe's in our town. I have heard lots of good things about them. Tell me what are some of your favorite things to buy there and what are some of your least favorite things? Thanks

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    their roasted peanut butter with flax seeds is tasty. the mojito salmon dinner in frozen section is good. the marinated carne asada is good. good selection of cheeses. the cave aged greyure (sp?) is awesome.

if you still eat bread, they have the ezekial cinnamon raisin bread which is great. the TJ brand canned salmon and tuna with no salt is good.

good store, good prices. the closest one to me is 25 miles but worth the occasional trip to stock up
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have one near my work. My least favorite thing is their produce.

I eat the black bean and corn enchiladas pretty regularly. Their hummus is decent. They have nice tofu (extra firm and sprouted). Their organic frozen berries are pretty cheap as is their organic pb.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Love their almond butter and trail mix. Their greek yogurt is good. I love their produce and nuts. Great breakfast bars and an awesome frozen food section. Their chili lime chicken burgers and soycutash are 2 of my favorite frozen items!!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    2 buck chuck.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese - $1.99

Love their frozen veggies, guilt free frozen foods, almond milk (the pink box).

I shop at Trader Joe's about once a week. The lines are long, but go really fast. I always spend less than I thought I was spending.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm a frequent TJ's shopper. Some of my staples:
    - chili hot sauce
    - organic tofu
    - organic hummus
    - spiced soybeans
    - baked beans
    - vegetarian chili
    - organic peanut butter
    - almond butter with flaxseeds
    - organic frozen blueberries
    - spiced apple cider in the fall
    - etc.

They are great and I'm lucky to work about 5 minutes away from one.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have a few favorites. The Green Drink Powder is not bad, especially compared to the stuff I used to get at Whole Foods. The Turkey Bacon, cranberry hifiber muffins and frozen roasted corn are tops. There are a few items I get from there because the price is spot on; coconut oil, shrimp, soy cheese, most of the frozen veg.

Trader Joe's is a 2 hour drive from here. But, so very worth it.
  • AshlynG923
    AshlynG923 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm in love with the fresh mozzarella sticks.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Nuts (shelled pistachios, almonds, cashews)
    Nut butters (Almond butter with roasted flaxseed; valencia creamy salted peanut butter)
    Sprouted 7-grain bread (warning: it's only good toasted)
    Chipotle pepper hummus
    Chipotle salsa (low sodium! it's amazing)
    Greek yogurt ($1 cheaper than Chobani/Fage)
    Frozen fruit
    Bagged organic spinach, baby lettuce, romaine
    Frozen wild salmon (best prices I've seen)
    Jarred marinara sauce with no salt - love this and can't find it anywhere else
    Coconut Oil (again, organic virgin for the best price around)
    Lite canned coconut milk
    Dark chocolate peanut butter cups

What I don't like:
    Most of the loose produce. Use a discerning eye if buying it.

If you buy something there and don't like it, bring it back - money returned, no questions asked.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal
    Frozen veg
    Coffee filters (coffee is good but expensive)
    Hamburger buns
    Veggie burgers (not much variety but a full dollar cheaper than Meijer!)
    Tofu is cheap

I think produce may vary from store to store because some people say it's great, but not so much at my store. Hardy stuff like onion, apples, etc are generally OK but refrigerated produce is often a little off.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I love the Chili Lime Chicken burgers and some of their soups - Carrot Ginger and the Roasted Pepper Tomato..
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Flowers! They have super prices on great flowers and I always like bringing my wife home some when I go!

Anyway, this may sound weird, but their frozen section in general is really great ... they have a lot of delicious choices ... for me, while some of these are not unusual, my staples from them are:

Frozen French Green Beans
    Coffee and Cocoa (no sugar, just a coffee and cocoa blend) ... much of their coffee is great
    Salami & Cheese Snacks (more like a small meal, but the kids and us love them for lunches)
    Chili and Lime Thai Cashews, delicious
    If you are an oreo lover, their Joe Joe's are great
    17 (or whatever) dried bean and barley mix is a great deal (and make the recipe on the back, but puree it) ... comes out like a split pea that is super yummy (and healthy)
    Great wine and beer selection if you're into that
    Frozen Turkey Meatballs
    Frozen Fish, especially Tuna and Mahi Mahi (they have great prices)

They are not a health food story by any means, as they stock a lot of junk food too, but you can some really good stuff.

Probably my grocery store of choice ... depending on where we lived we've actually used them as our primary grocery store ... they are actually quite affordable.

But again, check out that frozen food section (and samples) as they often rotate in and out some good products
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You have to buy their Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip!!! It's comparable to Spinach Dip and way healthier (plus tastier)! I also buy my meats from there!
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Lemon pepper pappardelle
    Brown basmati rice
    Turkey bacon
    Chicken sausage (several varieties)
    Nuts
    Cuban black beans
    Fruit jams
    Salsa
    Cheese
    Frozen seafood (salmon, crab cakes, tilapia, etc.)
    Frozen veggies
    Peeled beets (refrigerated veggie section)
    I only buy fresh produce if I know I'm going to use it within a couple days, otherwise I find it goes bad quickly!
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I love their salsas!
  • possibri
    possibri Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    We just got a Trader Joe's in our town. I have heard lots of good things about them. Tell me what are some of your favorite things to buy there and what are some of your least favorite things? Thanks

Best*
    –Trader Joe's Uncured Chicken Hot Dogs
    –Trader Joe's original hummus
    –Calbee Snappea Crisps
    –Trader Joe's Green Tea
    –Trader Joe's Quinoa and Black Bean Chips
    –Trader Joe's uncured peppered turkey bacon
    –Simply Lite Low-Carb Dark Chocolate with Almonds
    –frozen chicken tenderloins (great for making strips or nuggets)
    –"Just a handful" nut single packs (great for on-the-go)

*all of these are gluten free

Worst
    –the produce at my store tends to be slim pickin's and not always in the best shape
  • ruadh
    ruadh Posts: 5
    Options
    Nobody seems to have mentioned my favorite dessert, the Raspberry/Vanilla Cream bars. Only 80 calories. and delicious
  • VinaAnderson
    Options
    LOVE Trader Joe's!! My Top 3 Items are:

Frozen vegetarian burritos
    Organic Oats and Flax Instant Oatmeal
    Just a Handful of Nuts Snack Packs
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Just a Handful Size of Trek Mix or Cashews. Prepackage size helps me limit my portions.
    Frozen Quinoa Melange.
    For my occasional treat I eat a square of the Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate with Whole Hazelnuts. Yum!