Does any one have issues with meat?

Options
I'm wondering does any one have issues with meat? Mostly red meat. I have severe acid reflux, and I'm talking like I'm on the ground hunched over in pain... I also have IBS. I've always eaten meat and I've never had issues until I had my daughter 18 months ago. I don't get the acid reflux often because I've changed my diet and I know mostly all my trigger foods and I've dropped some weight. Now however I'm having issues eating meat. I think it's the grease but I know there are people out there who can't eat meat period. I've cut alot of my red meat out for dieting reasons. Is there anyone else who has issues with meat or who has IBS? It runs in my family and my younger sister has Crohns disease. Just wondering if any one else has meat issues....

Replies

• BamaRose0107
    Options
    Hi I have a history of acid reflux and stomach ulcers. I kept going to the doctor because I was in so much much pain. My doctor could never figure out what was truly wrong. I went to a gastro doctor and he told me to lay off red meat and limit my dairy intake. I felt like a different person. From what I gather is that people with stomach problems sometimes have a hard time digesting red meat. Thats what happened in my case. Now I don't eat any red meat at all and my stomach problems have almost completely disappeared. All those days I spent doubled over in pain and all I needed to do is cut out meat.
  • Kimlane70
    Options
    My problem is mostly when i combine meat with potatoes or bread or any kind of starchy food. But if I eat steak with a salad I don't have the tummy trouble or feel bloated and yukky. . I have read several books about food combining and it makes alot of sense to combine or not combine certain foods together in the same meal. I've also been eating more tilapia,shrimp, salmon, and tuna in place of other meats like beef and pork which seems to be better for me. Hope this helps some.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hi Pawprint...
    My answer to this question is.... sometimes.. I have a dx of crohn's disease and while I don't have any specific dietary requirements, I've found that I feel SO MUCH BETTER by limiting my intake of red meat (especially), likewise with dairy. A bit of cheese here and there, no big deal. Same with an occasional steak (that's small in size). However, my other half tends to skip meals during the day before my discovery, we would eat large dinners every night that were heavy in red meat - and I felt lousy (without even realizing the connection). It might be a change worth making (to focus more on fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. with lean meats built in) - you might find you feel a heck of a lot better! Good luck!
  • pawprint061
    Options
    Thanks... that kinda all describes what I've gone through and what I've read to do. I didn't want to make any changes until I heard from some real people. Dairy doesn't bother me as much since I've switched to fat free milk because of the acid reflux. Thanks for your input though guys, makes me feel a little better.
  • lizbeth787
    lizbeth787 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My problem is mostly when i combine meat with potatoes or bread or any kind of starchy food. But if I eat steak with a salad I don't have the tummy trouble or feel bloated and yukky. . I have read several books about food combining and it makes alot of sense to combine or not combine certain foods together in the same meal. I've also been eating more tilapia,shrimp, salmon, and tuna in place of other meats like beef and pork which seems to be better for me. Hope this helps some.

I would look into some kind of gluten intolerance if I were you!