Losing weight with an injury

Options
Hi all -- I hurt my foot this weekend (had my foot hurt for me, actually) moving furniture. I'm going to the doctor today, but my question applies in general, too. I'm worried that this injury is going to set me back in my weight loss goals I have set for myself. Any suggestions on how to maintain weight loss with a bum foot? Should I still go and do weights, even if my doctor forces me into the dreaded boot? My usual method of cardio is elliptical/running, so I'm sort of at a loss.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. Keep eating at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. You may just need to make sure your diet it stellar and you are eating the "right" foods until you are healed.

Also, do some upper body strength training. Just because you have a foot injury doesn't mean you can't lift.
  • grimsin
    grimsin Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    even if you don't exercise at all you should be able to lose 1-2 pounds a week by your diet alone :) focus on healing and eating right and you'll be happy when you can exercise again :) If your doctor says upperbody or something is okay then do that, but what you eat is going to have the greatest impact no matter what.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    It will depend on what kind of injury you have. First and foremost, with an initial injury, do not push yourself. Think RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Ask the doctor their suggestions on activity levels. Regardless, your diet will be key at this point. If it is not too bad there are still some things you can do, but weight bearing may not be one of them.

Stay positive, don't push or you will risk prolonging your recovery. Be realistic. Be cautious. You can still do this!!! :) Just be safe!
  • _haleyscott
    Options
    try to focus on the upper body, just so you don't totally stop exercising. but even if you don't exercise, if you still pay attention to your calorie goal you'll be able to lose weight anyway :)
  • sarijw
    sarijw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys!

Just got back from the doctor--fractured toe, and he only put me off my "normal" activities for a week. Woo hoo! I was definitely planning on sticking to my calories rigidly this week and I can sit and do some upper body stuff.

I appreciate all the encouragement and support!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Exercise isn't necessary for weight loss. Keep eating at a calorie deficit and you'll lose weight. You may just need to make sure your diet it stellar and you are eating the "right" foods until you are healed.

Also, do some upper body strength training. Just because you have a foot injury doesn't mean you can't lift.
    This, exactly. I injured my achilles tendon two weeks ago, kept doing my exercise (the 30 day shred) for a few days until I could no longer deny I had screwed something up. I went to the doctor and she said to rest it as much as possible, meaning no more exercise, not even walking for cardio. It's been almost 2 weeks since I started resting my foot and it feels so much better. I have been doing crunches and upper body strength training in the meantime, and have been able to stick to my calorie goals and stay on track.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight! glad you'll be up and at it again in a week or so. I have hip impingement that sometimes really gets in the way of anything but laying in bed and I've still managed to lose the weight without regular exercise, you can do it!