Dizzy and light headed...

Options
This has never happened to me before after a work-out. I swim for 60 minutes each morning before breakfast. I wouldnt say i swim particulary hard either. I eat a hard boiled egg before swimming because i know i cant go on a completely empty stomach, but nothing else until after. today,i had to stop at 55 minutes because i thought the room was spinning alittle. and i stumbled to the locker room to change and go home. so now its after breakfast, waffles and toast, and im still feeling giddy. im at work and im eating some applesause to hopefully help. any ideas as to why? i have been doing this routine for over a month now and this is the first time its happened.

Replies

• rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    This happened to me a little bit ago and it turned out to be low blood pressure. My circumstances were a little different than yours, though. I was being treated for high blood pressure with medication and I started to get dizzy when I stood up. It lasted about 5 seconds then went away but it would happen every time.

Turns out the meds were lowering my BP too much.

The only things I have read concerning dizziness when training would be low blood pressure or not eating enough.

Please see or call your doctor if it keeps up!
  • liv280590
    Options
    I guess it because you were eating too few calorie or vitamin B or iron (best source from spinach). This also happened to me sometimes..
  • PrincessPoetess
    PrincessPoetess Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    see a doctor and explain to them what happened. Like the other person who commented it happend to me as well. Turns out my bp was too high!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    When I was on vacation I swam laps for almost an hour and then went to the hot tub for a soak for about 10 minutes and the combo brought on an episode dizzy faint my wife brought me 2 gatorade type drinks and I recovered in a few minutes I was dehydrated and my blood sugar dropped as well you can get dehydrated swimming as much as running and not know it since you dont feel sweaty.
    I did mention it to my Dr and we discussed it over the phone told me to drink more and eat a little more carb type food before exercising your egg is almost all protein maybe save the egg for after and have some cereal before
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    I think you should get checked out by a Dr., but my first reaction would be: EAT!
  • stacey5971
    Options
    i am eating, just after i work out because i dont want to cramp up in the pool. but i will check with the dr if this happens again tomorrow. thanks!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I wasn't eating back exercise calories for about two weeks, and this started happening to me.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I know there are lots of carb haters out there, so a lot of people will probably disagree, but I would suggest eating something with carbs before swimming instead of just a single egg to keep your body fueled. For a full hour of swimming, your body needs something to work with.
  • theartichoke
    theartichoke Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    If it persists, definitely go see your GP, just to get a checkup. I have the same problem and its been happening for almost 2 months. My blood pressure is a bit low and it's compounded by my low thyroid function. Also, weight loss can cause this to happen, temporarily, as your body adjusts. It doesn't sound like you're starving yourself, I doubt this has anything to do with food. Take care, keep an eye on it and see the Dr. if needed, just to be safe.
  • densta1968
    Options
    keep tabs on your potassium. when mine's low, I feel dizzy and light-headed. I'd still check in with a medical professional though, just to be certain.
  • stacey5971
    Options
    Today before i went swimming, i had a spoonful of reduced fat peanut butter and a sip of gatorade. i did not get dizzy, so thats a good thing!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    This isn't the place to ask that question. Go see a doctor, its dangerous to get medical advice from laymen.