protein powder - worth it for me?

Options
I've been wondering about having protein powder, if there is any point for me personally, will I get any benefit from it or is there no point for me?

My diary is open so you can see what I get through my diet...I'm veggie but still eat eggs and dairy. I'm 31, female, 5'4", and currently 153.5 lb and 32% body fat. Looking to get into the mid 20s body fat, and replace the fat with some lovely muscle. Also aiming to drop another 19lb or so.

Exercise-wise, each week (I don't always fit all of this in every week, it depends on my shift patterns), I'm doing 40-45 mins swimming (1 km), 40 mins run (5 km), 30-40 mins elliptical/rowing/wattbike, and managing about 30-60 mins of weight training using machines. I'm having to use puny weights for upper body (2-3kg) but can do 4-6 times that on lower body stuff. I've also just started 30-day shred, which I'm doing with 2x2kg hand weights.

So, is there much point me using a protein supplement? Will it help me in my goals? Or will it just be a waste of money? Will I get better results altering my exercise instead?

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone needs protein powders.

I use protein powder for a couple reasons
    1) I hate eating in the morning
    2) I have a goal of eating 5 times per day (It started as a trial but it is really working for me in terms of controlling hunger and snacking)
    3) In order to eat 5 times per day and eat in the morning, I need something that I can drink for a couple of the meals.

Hence the protein powder.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So you're using it as an extra meal, in effect? That's a good idea :) I can eat in the morning, but could probably do with eating a bit more, I usually only have time for a bowl of cereal. I know the protein powder won't do anything magical that normal dietary protein won't do...just wondering if it's a sensible choice to increase my proteins if I need to get more to realise my goals :)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    You should aim to eat your weight in protein every day. If you're not achieving that, protein powder can definitely help. Not sure what you weigh or what you're eating for pre/post workout meals either, but here's what you should eat pre/post workout:

Workout Nutrition

Pre-Workout
    60-90min pre-workout solid meal
    .25g protein of target weight
    .25g carb of target weight
    OR
    30-0min pre-workout liquid meal

Post-Workout
    Within 30min
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You should aim to eat your weight in protein every day. If you're not achieving that, protein powder can definitely help. Not sure what you weigh or what you're eating for pre/post workout meals either, but here's what you should eat pre/post workout:

Workout Nutrition

Pre-Workout
    60-90min pre-workout solid meal
    OR
    30-0min pre-workout liquid meal

Post-Workout
    Within 30min

Why should you eat those things peri workout?
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Protein does a couple of things for me personally. First, it helps me meet my protein goals for the day (1 - 1.5 grams of protein for each lb of body weight), second is helps satisfy a 'sweet' craving when I use it, and third it is convenient when you are stuck somewhere and don't want to hit a vending machine, convenience store, etc.

I also think you should change up your workout routine occassionally. I usually stick with something 8-12 weeks and then at least switch days you are doing your routines, change exercises, or try something completely new altogether.
  • katymcd81
    Options
    As per original post, I'm currently 153.5lb, down from SW of 163lb 3 weeks ago.

Is it going to make a massive amount of difference if I can't eat immediately before a workout? If I run or swim with *anything* in my stomach, I get a crippling stitch and have to stop. Not so bad with weights, but as I usually do cardio with my weights, it does factor in there a bit too!

I take it 'eating my weight in protein' does not mean I have to eat nearly 11 st of protein per day?! I assume this is in grams? Grams per kg of body weight? Where do the numbers come from? Would be interested in reading more (I can handle the science).
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    As per original post, I'm currently 153.5lb, down from SW of 163lb 3 weeks ago.

Is it going to make a massive amount of difference if I can't eat immediately before a workout? If I run or swim with *anything* in my stomach, I get a crippling stitch and have to stop. Not so bad with weights, but as I usually do cardio with my weights, it does factor in there a bit too!

I take it 'eating my weight in protein' does not mean I have to eat nearly 11 st of protein per day?! I assume this is in grams? Grams per kg of body weight? Where do the numbers come from? Would be interested in reading more (I can handle the science).

You do not have to eat anything before you workout, particularly if it negatively effects your workouts
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you getting per day on average?

A decent starting point (erring on the side of more since it's easier to calculate this way) is 1 gram per pound of body weight if you are doing resistance training. If you're not getting that, have some protein powder. If you are, don't.
  • samlankford
    Options
    since I am doing asylum workouts when I get home from work I consume about 210 grams of protein a day.... I supplement a lot of that with protein powder, I do not feel like eating THAT much a day!! I usually have my shakeology with an added scoup of whey isolate in the morning, then I will have another protein shake around 3... I eat other stuff in between and after I workout but it works for me, and very worth it to me :bigsmile:
  • katymcd81
    Options
    How much protein are you getting per day on average?

A decent starting point (erring on the side of more since it's easier to calculate this way) is 1 gram per pound of body weight if you are doing resistance training. If you're not getting that, have some protein powder. If you are, don't.

This is really useful, thank you! Can you give me links to sources?

Going by this, I need 153g protein per day, yes? (I assume what I am doing with the weight machines counts as resistance training, even though it's a bit weedy at the moment?)

I have calculated my average for the last three weeks, and it comes to 53g per day, with lowest being 33g and highest 81g. So I am quite deficient! How much protein powder would I have to consume (in terms of volume of shakes, roughly) to bring me up to what I should be getting?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Going by this, I need 153g protein per day, yes? (I assume what I am doing with the weight machines counts as resistance training, even though it's a bit weedy at the moment?)

I have calculated my average for the last three weeks, and it comes to 53g per day, with lowest being 33g and highest 81g. So I am quite deficient! How much protein powder would I have to consume (in terms of volume of shakes, roughly) to bring me up to what I should be getting?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html <- This is the part that specifically talks about protein intake. He talks about using lean mass. I use total weight as it's easier and I'm lazy.
  • katymcd81
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-fundamentals-of-fat-loss-diets-part-2.html <- This is the part that specifically talks about protein intake. He talks about using lean mass. I use total weight as it's easier and I'm lazy.

Bookmarked :D This whole site looks really useful, thank you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Listen to ACG and rtalencar85 - I won't bother repeating it, but they are right.