Pushy co workers who give out food

Options

Replies

• lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You know I am reading these posts and a lot of us have this same problem. Society rewards with food.

Next meetings we should offer to handle the food and come with fruit and healthier snacks, just to see how people react. I love my apples in the afternoon - they are a great pick me up!
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    This one guy I know will actually buy me something awful and then give me a guilt trip when I tell him I don't want it. Last time it was fried banana pudding. I asked him if he really thought sabotaging me was a good thing. He said, "You're beautiful! You don't need to lose more weight! It's good, eat it!" I told him no. He left it on my desk and walked out. I was furious. Next time he came in my office I confronted him again and asked him just what the h*** he thought he was doing. He said he wanted to show me that he cares about me. To which I said, "Bring flowers, write a sweet note, ANYTHING BUT D**N FOOD!!!" He hasn't done it again. I HATE it when people do this crap. HATE IT.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Where I work there's a woman who makes gourmet cakes as a side business and for EVERY occasion brings one in...at a place with a lot of people there's always a birthday or retirement party! It only sits in our breakroom, but i definitely am given a hard time when I go in there and don't eat any. I think (like a lot of people above have said) sometimes people get insecure and just want you to join in! I've luckily been able to keep up the willpower and not give in to temptation....
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who brings in baked goods all the time, she doesn't force them on me though (thank goodness). She always includes me when she goes around handing them out but knows I'll say 'no, thank you' anyway.
  • samlankford
    Options
    well that type of pushy (plopping it on my desk after I have said no many times), i would walk it over and plop it on their desk... it is rude.. my co workers offer things to me but they know I will say no to 99.999% of what they have since I pre-plan my meals the night before...
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yup... Happens all the time at my job. I just tell them that im Diabetic and they usually take them back..
  • misty0413
    misty0413 Posts: 212
    Options
    happens every week and everyone likes to go out to eat at least once or twice a week. I always say no thanks, then if I get asked again later its like no been really busy. If they keep hounding me its like ok I will later, but never do. They expect me to eat . I am the FAT girl in an office of 6.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Take 'em home and feed 'em to the dog.
  • lindseyt0710
    Options
    I think the majority of office workers have this issue! Some of my co-workers like to stash treats/snacks/sodas for all right near the water dispenser! I had to ask for them to find a new location since it's hard when you are going for water yet eyeing up snacks in your peripheral!!
  • staceface519
    Options
    ive had hat happen. . . . usually if they cant respect the " no, im a diabetic" that i give them and they just plop it on my desk. . i either take it home for my daughter or i end up throwing it out. . . i feel bad about wasting food but if they arent going to listen to me saying "no i dont want it" it like putting it in the trash anyways.
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Ugh, this was rampant at my last job. It was a very close-knit office environment, with a lot of ladies who loved baking. :P Even if I declined, they'd still save me whatever it was they were offering. I either just ate a small portion, or wrapped it up to take home with me to give to someone else. I know they mean well, but I don't want to have those mini-battles of "take one, please!" lmao. You know?
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    Every single place I've worked at I've had people push food. Sometimes being polite doesn't work. If putting it in the break room or handing it back doesn't work, toss it. It's not worth the stress of trying to "play nice" if it'll stress you out.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Nope, haven't had that happen.. But what annoys me is when I'm in Sam's Club and they are giving out samples and some of the people just can't take "No" as my final answer. I then respond "I didn't get down from a size 16 to now a 10 by accepting all sorts of snacks that's offered to me. :-)" Then they either roll their eyes or congratulate me.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually just ask them "Is that vean or does it have dead things in it?"...they never push...sometimes they leave skid marks...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I cant stand this! I have a few coworkers who literally shove donuts or baked goods in my face. I will try to politely decline and theyll be like just have some, and plop it on my desk and walk away. Sometimes I just put it the trash but other times its hard to toss gourmet donuts and food in general in the garbage. Does anyone else have co workers like this that set out to ruin peoples healthy eating? How do you deal with it even if they dont accept a polite decline?
    I don't think people do it with the intention of derailing you. They're probably just trying to be nice. I have a coworker who likes to bring baked treats, and I just tell them that I am off wheat and they leave it alone (okay, I'm not entirely off wheat, but I'm giving it an honest effort). Give them specific dietary concerns, like that you need to watch your sugar intake or something so they know that you're not just turning down everything they offer but that you have specific dietary needs so you can't just eat whatever is put in front of you. You can always lie and say that your doctor is concerned about diabetes or something and has recommended you not eat __________. Who's going to argue with that?
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Thankfully, at my current workplace people are usually only pushing their veggies (too many tomatoes is a common problem here). LOL You could walk away at lunch to find a pile of zucchini on your desk. ;)

Where do you work? Want some cucumbers? :)
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I have a co-worker that is an awesome baker and she brings in her creations to share - and tells me that I am not allowed to have any! (Joking though-it's her way of saying it's there, and she knows I am watching what I eat, and that she will not be hurt when I end up not having any) :bigsmile:

There are people there who I feel like are just there to foil my diet,,,In October last year we had "customer service week" - a week long celebration etc for the customer service reps. I only ate healthy stuff and kind of joke around about how I couldn't partake of the parts that had the sweets etc. So at the end: my manager literally took all the cookes and donuts etc, packed them up gave them to me to take home. I live with only my fiance who does not eat any sweets. :grumble: So on my way home I visied my parents and gave it to them.
  • kfdunn
    kfdunn Posts: 14
    Options
    I suggest you think about this problem differently - it is NOT about how YOU get OTHER PEOPLE to stop offering food. They do so for myriad reasons, seldom (if ever) with malicious intent, and those motivations do not change because YOU want them to.

You ARE in charge, though, of what you choose to put in your mouth. Every. Single. Thing. If you were faced with a doughnut (even a Krispy Kreme, Hot & Now) laced with deadly poison - could you refrain from eating it? Of COURSE you could.

YOU decide not to eat it. When facing the more mundane situation of "regular" doughnuts, just say, "thank you, but I don't want it" and don't eat it.

Don't worry about what other people do - you cannot control them.
    Be mindful of what YOU do - only you can control your actions.

BTW, making an *kitten* of yourself (i.e. heeding the advice that "being polite doesn't work") just makes you an *kitten*. It's just a doughnut - just don't eat it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "While I appreciate your generosity very much, I simply cannot eat this. I wish I could, because it looks great, but I can't. Since I'd hate to see your generosity go to waste, please accept my sincere thanks for thinking of me, and please find someone else who can enjoy it and offer it to them."

Then if they push it on you, quietly throw it away or give it away later.

Society and advertising are pushing unhealthy crap on us all the time. Consider this valuable training.
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Happens nearly every day around here. this morning it was bacon covered maple bars...which I happen to find totally disgusting but my boss likes to leave on my desk. I put it back in the box when no one was looking :grumble: . I have had to put my foot down enough they are finally taking note, but now they make fun of me for always being on a "diet" and tell me I should live a little, and tell me to be happy with my body, which irritates the crap outta me just the same, now I constantly tell them its a lifestyle change and please quit calling it a DIET!

Some havent gotten it, I recently quit smoking and one of the bigger girls calls me when its break time and says guess what im going out to smoke and I can eat cheeseburgers all day HAHAHAHA.. It took every ounce of High Road in me to not say some really mean stuff..:explode:

People suck..I now just roll my eyes and keep on with my bad self, they'll all be sorry :laugh: :glasses: