Protein intake

Options
Ok im taking in 310g average of protein a day. I weigh 180 and bulking up. Thing is, should i lower that number and save money cause isnt it suppose to be a gram of protien per pound of body weight?

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to bulk up, you need to include good carbs and fats too. I think if you did 1 to 1.5 g of protein/lb of body weight, you would be fine. You may want to try some online sources like www.bodybuilding.com to get good ratios and macronutrient quantities.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    yea ive got the diet down and seeing alot of progress with it. Ive been following a guy named Matt Ogus on Youtube.com/flexforall2 He is a all natural bodybuilder and has many pointers and diet insight for what im looking for. My main question was if I am taking in too much protein cause the body cant store it and i dont wanna waste money on three shakes a day if i can just get plenty of protein from my meals
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    but yea thanks, ill checkout that and see bodybuilding.com input
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to bulk up, you need to include good carbs and fats too. I think if you did 1 to 1.5 g of protein/lb of body weight, you would be fine. You may want to try some online sources like www.bodybuilding.com to get good ratios and macronutrient quantities.

This is consistent with what I have been reading too. 1 to 1.5 grams of protein for each pound of body weight. I read a study once that said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that over a certain amount the effects/benefits of the protein level out, i.e. no additional effect. But I'm no expert, so take it with a grain of salt.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    about 1.5g per lb of lean body mass should suffice. Too much protein won't do you any good and unused protein will still store as fat or be wasted. Also hard on the body to process too much over a sustained period of time.
  • Baselkharsa
    Options
    Based on research, 1g per pound of body weight is enough for optimum protein synthesis to occur. You can increase it to 1.5g if you want to. If I were in your shoes, I would increase carbohydrates and fats to enjoy my bulk. Regarding fats, get 0.4-0.5g per pound of body weight and fill the rest of your caloric needs as carbohydrates. Try to get 1/3 of saturated, monounsaturated, and polyunsaturated fat from your total fat. Disregard Trans fat and you are good to go.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    thanks all for replying....good info here
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    another thing, im taking 3,200 calories a day...too much? again im bulking till december 31st
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    You should get minimum 1g\lb of LBM. More is ok although if you get absurd I think you could run into problems. For cal intake just try to calc your maintenance and go around 400-500 over. Kepp upping til you get just a small amount of fat gain.