Am I the only one gaining weight?????

Options
I have been trying so hard to drop this added weight. I have 70lbs to lose. When I started MFP I lost 4 lbs right off the bat. I have been to the gym 5-6 days per week; I know I have not been doing a complete workout due to an ankle sprain, but I have been doing 40-60 minutes on the elliptical. This morning when I got on the scale I was up 2 pounds.. I'm just frustrated at this point

Replies

• Desertrose2
    Desertrose2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Dont get discourge ...and above all things to not give up...I also have 70 pounds to lose...been overweight all my life...it seems when i get to the 200lb mark..I wind up sabotaging myself. Have a great day and dont give up...Desertrose
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    I see you joined in July? I looked at your diary and it looks pretty good. I wonder if your body just hasn't had time to adjust to the new lifestyle? If you keep doing what you're doing, you'll have to start dropping. Looking at diet and exercise, you appear to be doing a really good job.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Give it time. The initial weight was probably mostly water. After that your body needs to adjust to your new lifestyle and diet. There is a lot going on in your body when you first change your diet and start exercising. Muscles being used that weren't before, less calories coming in, etc. Give your body time to adjust and then you'll probably see a steady decrease.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You make no mention of your diet. Weight loss is first and foremost about diet, not exercise. If you're not seeing the results you want, make sure your expectations are reasonable and your diet is as it should be. Then it's all about patience and consistency.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

^Agreed. For further proof, look at my profile pic :)
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Your body is healing, with a sprained ankle your muscles may be retaining more water. Do you do any lifting or weighted workouts? Maybe try to do something with your upper body and core and give your ankle a rest. Stay hydrated and keep at it! Are your clothes fitting better? Is your energy level up? Focus on NSVs (non scale victories) because sometimes that stinking scale lies to us! :happy:
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I've lost 52 pounds in nine months through nutritional changes alone. I walk 3-4 miles a couple of times a week, but that's it. I mention that only to point out that exercise is certainly wonderful for you, but it's not necessarily how you lose pounds.

What I have done is micromanage my nutrition... lots of trial and error. Real food only (none of that fake stuff.) And a week ago, after spending a month stalled, I reset my calories (upped them by 400/day) according to the instructions here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

As of this morning, I'm DOWN two pounds.

Would be happy to share menus with you if you friend me.

Good luck! You can do it!!!
  • Lipstickcherry
    Lipstickcherry Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I didn't start losing every week until I starting eating veggies, fruits and severely cut down on carbs like rice/white bread/potatoes.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    besides what every one is saying - your going to gain muscle-and drop inches:bigsmile: - but the scale wont move :huh:
    totally normal
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    besides what every one is saying - your going to gain muscle-and drop inches:bigsmile: - but the scale wont move :huh:
    totally normal

Not likely. Modest workouts due to injury (cardio workouts probably??) AND eating at a deficit = no real muscle gain. She may be holding more water, but not likely putting on new muscle tissue.
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It happened to me--last week I was shocked to see a 2 pound gain---then, later it was back to starting weight. That was (temporarily) annoying and frustrating--but I thought it must be muscle as I AM losing INCHES.
  • diztimetoshine
    diztimetoshine Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments, recommendations and encouragement. I am going to keep going.... All I have to lose is weight, right? I am going to have a new approach. I'm going to add to my workout (ankle almost healed) and take measurements. Good luck to each and everyone of you. And to those that sent me friend requests... Thanks for the support!