Did my first-ever plank.

Options
Held it for thirty seconds.

Am I a pansy for panting like a dog and thinking that was pretty hardcore?

I mean, I didn't realize what that would feel like... and it's hard, hahaha, but it felt pretty awesome.

Okay, I'm going to get back to my workout.

Replies

• gretchengarrett
    gretchengarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    No, no, that's the whole thing about planks! They're so much harder than they look.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I do very much dislike planking.

But it is extremely good!
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    30 secs is awesome - I managed 5 secs the other day :-0 ok so it was part of a circuit at the time and I was about to collapse!!!
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    30 secs is awesome - I managed 5 secs the other day :-0 ok so it was part of a circuit at the time and I was about to collapse!!!
    Ahaha!!! Well, I was doing it with Wii Fit, and the exercise is set to thirty seconds, so it was tracking my balance and whatever. It only gave me 50-something points and scored me two out of four stars because I was really shaky, but I was like, "Shuddup, Wii Fit, I feel like a wizard."
  • Julescg26
    Julescg26 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I managed a 30 sec one yesterday and it was up on my toes rather than my knees like I always used to do them, I was well chuffed!!!
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    This is one of the hardest exercise i believe... but I love it :)
    At the gym we do a somehow modified plank starting from the push-up position and lowering a little bit. Its a killer!
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Planks are killer! 30 seconds is definitely a long time!
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I love doing planks. I do mine on my elbows and toes and try for 3 minutes at a time, my body shakes pretty violently during the last minute lol
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME...Planks are killers!!!

My gym does a monthly challenge and last month was Planks (how long could you hold it) and I watched a young and very fit guy do 7min 38 sec. when he got done he said "that was my first time I have done that" I didn't if I should congratulate him or kick him...LOL
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Woot! Way to go! I hate planks! LOL
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Planks are deceivingly difficult, especially when you add in shoulder or knee taps.

That being said, I would love to see someone with a totally killer bod from only doing planks/doing only planks, because then I would do them until I passed out!
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    ]Ahaha!!! Well, I was doing it with Wii Fit, and the exercise is set to thirty seconds, so it was tracking my balance and whatever. It only gave me 50-something points and scored me two out of four stars because I was really shaky, but I was like, "Shuddup, Wii Fit, I feel like a wizard."

"I feel like a wizard!" That made me giggle! I shall borrow that!
  • lilbrowngirlsj
    lilbrowngirlsj Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yep, planks are crazy hard! Great job! Little by little you'll up your time, but for now, 30 seconds is great!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Have not done a first plank yet. Good job.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    If you stick with it you'll be able to do longer.... when i started 30 seconds was killer.... Now the longest I've held one is over 3 minutes.

ETA: I typically do planks on my toes & elbows. but often practice side planks as well.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME...Planks are killers!!!

My gym does a monthly challenge and last month was Planks (how long could you hold it) and I watched a young and very fit guy do 7min 38 sec. when he got done he said "that was my first time I have done that" I didn't if I should congratulate him or kick him...LOL

Definitely kick!!! LOL :laugh:
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I recently added planks and side planks to my ab routine. LOVE/HATE THEM!

My expectations were definitely set too high for the side planks. They are tough!!!
  • Chapter3point6
    Options
    I do my regular planks on my forearms with my hands together. I have a problem with one of my elbows so doing them that way wouldn't work.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options

My first time I got over 3 minutes, and I am neither young nor very fit. This is not to brag, but rather to show that you don't have really do planks. I got my core up to that doing push-ups and situps, but no planks.

Side-planks are a different beast altogether. If I can do over minute I'm really happy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Great job! My first try was only 4 seconds.