Morning Insanity Workouts

Options
Ok I usually do my insanity workouts in the evening; however, I have other commitments on some nights, so unless I workout in the morning I'd have to skip the day. Does anyone else to insanity in the morning? if so do you eat anything before?

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have been doing P90x in the mornings, and it has been working fine so far.

You may want to do some preliminary stretching and warmups before you start the video, as the muscles will be cold and stiff early in; with the P90x routine, I will run through the warmups twice if I still feel stiff after the first round.

I eat breakfast and protein powder mix after the workout. During the workout, I just have normal water as needed.

The great thing about the morning workouts is that it sets the tone for your day, and it is harder to skip them. The downside: 9:00pm bedtimes.
  • speed3k
    speed3k Posts: 2
    Options
    I have done those workouts in the morning and it's a great way to start the day. I don't eat anything before the workout. I do drink a protein shake right after I'm done.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity workouts during the summer in the morning. I drink Shakeology so I have that about an hour before. I think you need to eat something to make it through the workouts. I am doing P90x/Insanity hybrid. I am on week 9. I love it. I have a support group on FB for Insanity and P90x if any of you would like to join.
  • savlov30
    savlov30 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here is my link for the FB support group for Insanity: https://www.facebook.com/groups/208245232614146
  • ducj5150
    Options
    I never eat before them, I have read and so far seems to be the case that if you workout in the morning you are running on the reserves in your body. My weight loss has definitely gotten better since I switched to mornings, and it is cooler in the house.
  • nlehmann
    nlehmann Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I work out very early in the AM as well. If doing Insanity I would say don't eat or drink a lot, think 1/2 banana or granola bar and a little bit of water. I generally will try to loosen up before starting Insantiy to get my blood moving since those workout jump right into moving a fast pace to 'warm up'. Good Luck!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity in the morning and I do not eat anything before it. I do not have any negative effects from it (upset stomach, extra soreness, lack of energy, etc.). Working out in the morning ensures that I get it done without distractions and it sets the tone for my day.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link savlov30, and thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a granola bar before hand just in case. Only downside I see is 4:45 am wake up time, but at least this would only be a couple times a week at the most.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity every morning at 4:30am on an empty stomach...although I do drink Energy & Endurance preworkout formula mixed in about 6 oz of water beforehand. I drink a protein shake right after I finish (protein powder, L-Glutamine, and water) and then shower, get dressed, and eat breakfast around 6:30am. This routine seems to work for me.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Please tell me how you can get up so early to exercise!!!!!???????

My schedule is about to get really crazy next week now that school is back in session. I think I will have no option but to get up at 5am or so and do my workout. I have tried this before and failed miserably. The thought of rolling out of bed when it is still dark and exercising is scary to me. Do you have any tips? I am afraid if I don't do it, I will skip my workouts.

Can I ask what time you go to bed at night?
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options

My schedule is about to get really crazy next week now that school is back in session. I think I will have no option but to get up at 5am or so and do my workout. I have tried this before and failed miserably. The thought of rolling out of bed when it is still dark and exercising is scary to me. Do you have any tips? I am afraid if I don't do it, I will skip my workouts.

LOL Sarah! For me it was all about training myself to get up early and make working out part of my morning routine. Knowing I get my workout done before the rest of my day begins means zero stress if I have to work late or my husband wants to do something at night or I'm just plain exhausted after work and want to sit on the couch for a couple of hours. I know I would make too many excuses for not getting to my workout if I left it for later in the day. I try to get to bed between 9pm - 10pm (although there are plenty of nights when I'm falling asleep on the couch at like 7:30pm!) I honestly don't think about how dark it is outside because I don't have to leave my house to get my workout done. I get up, get dressed, mix up my post workout protein shake so it has time to chill, and then I am pressing play by around 4:50am.
  • kooltray87
    kooltray87 Posts: 501 Member
    Options

LOL Sarah! For me it was all about training myself to get up early and make working out part of my morning routine. Knowing I get my workout done before the rest of my day begins means zero stress if I have to work late or my husband wants to do something at night or I'm just plain exhausted after work and want to sit on the couch for a couple of hours. I know I would make too many excuses for not getting to my workout if I left it for later in the day. I try to get to bed between 9pm - 10pm (although there are plenty of nights when I'm falling asleep on the couch at like 7:30pm!) I honestly don't think about how dark it is outside because I don't have to leave my house to get my workout done. I get up, get dressed, mix up my post workout protein shake so it has time to chill, and then I am pressing play by around 4:50am.

I know how you feel Sarah. I just did my first morning workout today @ 4:45am. It was hard rolling out of bed at first, but once I got on my feet everything just ran like clockwork. I'm a night owl so for me 10:30-11PM is probably the most realistic time for me to get to sleep. What makes it easy for me to wake up is that I have to get up @ 5 every day for work anyway. So getting up 1/2 hr early wasn't too bad.

I suggest starting small by getting up 15min early. Then work your way up to 30min or however early you want. Its not such a shock to the body then. Also get ur clothes ready at night so you don't have to ramble around in the morning for them. Just wake up, get dressed, and workout!

Hope that helps
  • kminer80
    kminer80 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am happy you I found this post along with others about Insanity. My goal is also to start doing these workouts in the mornings. I will be starting Insanity tonight. :/

Happy to find support on MFP.

Good luck to you all and please feel free to add me for some Insanity support :)
  • krismonaco
    krismonaco Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45 am to do my Insanity workout. I set out all of my clothes the night before, grab a bottle of water and go.
    I am also trying to do the nutrition guide so I'm kind of hungry but I've been eating yogurt at night when I get home from work (around 11:30pm) and this has been okay. Hope this helps
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    When I did Insanity, I did it in the mornings and no I didn't eat anything before.
  • smccb
    smccb Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help. Just knowing that I am not the only one getting up at that hour AND doing Insanity at that INSANE hour will be motivation. :-)

I think I will start small, as recommended. I was planning on 5am or earlier, but tomorrow I may try something a little later and work backwards. I am just NOT a morning person.