Tips Needed - volunteering with kids in Tanzania

Options
nvestli
nvestli Posts: 38 Member
Hi All,

So I am off in a few days (!) to volunteer for a month in Arusha, Tanzania with 4 to 6 year old children. While I have asked (and am still waiting on) my organisation giving me some info re: what I can brush up on, I wondered if people here could throw a few suggestions my way?

I have been told that the kids really just want someone enthusiastic which I hope to be able to manage but if I am to try and teach them anything such as basic English - do people here have tips or personal expereience they can share? I have heard that nursery rhymes and songs are good - anything else?

Thanks!
Nav
-x-

Replies

• mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm in Tanzania right now actually.

I've been through Arusha a couple of times. I want you to enjoy your time in TZ, but you should know, as a place with a high tourist concentration, Arusha is not entirely safe. Be careful while there, getting taxis, etc. Don't bring anything too valuable.

Most young kids have very little English, so simple simple English is really important. They love songs, especially songs with motions that go with them. If you want to bring them presents, candy is good, as are pens and pencils. I would also recommend you learn some Swahili before you come. "Simplified Swahili" is pretty much the best book available.

If you have any other specific questions about coming to TZ, feel free to ask or message me.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Sounds so exciting.

I would start very simple not know what their knowledge base. I would begin with the sounds we make for each letter. Once they can mimic that, then add the letter as a visual. You can also show them something that begins with that sound. This is where I often begin with my kiddos I work with. I work with kiddos teaching reading and language. I would say simple and easy to understand sentences will help. Use hand signals when you can to indicate when you want them to say it. Might be difficult at first but they will get it.

Be excited about what you are doing. Add some physical activity. Kids this age really enjoy drawing and painting. I would use what is available to allow them to try and write as well. I would use a tin and salt but you can use the ground in dirt or sand. This helps kids learn to form letters and get a feeling for writing. You can also do this by painting.

Try mimic songs with simple words or songs they already know to start.

Good luck on this trip sounds so exciting!!!
  • nvestli
    Options
    Great tips - keep them coming please!
  • nvestli
    Options
    BUMP!