Quinoa - HELP?!

Options
2»

Replies

• bbruske
    bbruske Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    k, this may sound dumb, but where at the super market can i find quina? Cereal, pasta, rice?
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I just cooked quinoa for the first time tonight and it's soo yummy!! I cooked mine in chicken broth instead of water. I made a stir fry (mine consited of summer squash, onion, and pepper) then I mixed the 2 together. Eat as pie! And sooo yummy!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of meat when I make chili. It's a decent protein substitute.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I tried this multi-grain stuff with brown rice, quinoa, rye, barley and oats and HATED it plain. Srsly gross. I was so pissed I was now committed to eating a full cup of it. Then in a stroke of brilliance I added a splash of white vinegar and some hot madras curry powder and it was AMAZING. I was sad when it was gone, lol. Planning on making more tomorrow. :)
  • ido426
    ido426 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have never used a recipe. I use what I have on hand. Some chicken stock, diced tomato, minced garlic and dried garlic, s+p, oregano, parmesean cheese. Take the time to rinse it first. I love the taste but some people say if it isn't rinsed it will be bitter.
  • JustMagpie
    JustMagpie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Chop up any veggies, like tomato, celergy cucumber, green onions, peppers. Toss all in a huge bowl. Make quinoa according to directions, more on the drier side please. Once cold put in bowl. Add red wine vinegar, and olive oil to taste, put in spices of your choosing. Toss and let sit till next day. I usually make enough for the week! You also could use malt vinegar ect.
  • ido426
    ido426 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    FYI...Costco sells a huge organic bag for cheap.
  • Granmablingbling
    Options
    Hey, when I first saw that teeny tiny grain I was confused to. Had a girlfriend who said you can use it like a morning cereal with fruits. Or you can use it like a rice and add veggies to it. Just follow the directions and then when it is to sit for 5 minutes, add chopped mushroom, green onions, brocolli , or what ever good veggie to it. Add chicken broth to the water or beef broth, and serve it with stir frys or a side dish. Use it like you would rice and you are in the know.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    Bump