OK Runners how screwed am I?

Options
I have a half marathon race in 19 days.

It's been so hot and humid here that I haven't been able to keep up with my training.

I've run the distance before. Raced it in May. Most of my runs in the past two months have been in the 10k range. I did a 15k last week and other than some tummy issues (chronic, nothing new) I felt ok. My hope is to get in something higher than 15 this week.

I haven't talked to the race committee yet about what my options are.

If I can do 15K now can I do 21 on race day?

ETA: I'm a run walker so I'm not opposed to walking lots, I just want to be able to walk after. LOL

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you raced it in May and have been consitstently training since then, even at a reduced mileage, your fitness loss is minimal if there is any at all.

You may not be able to race it as well as you could have with optimal training, but you won't have any problem finishing it.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yep, I concur with Scott. You'll be fine. Lower your expectations and go have a good time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You're fine. You may not set any personal bests, but you're fine.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, you'll be able to cover the distance comfortably, but you won't be getting a PR.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options
    Yep... you should be fine. Run this race to finish.. not a PR and enjoy yourself.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    If you raced it in May and have been consitstently training since then, even at a reduced mileage, your fitness loss is minimal if there is any at all.

You may not be able to race it as well as you could have with optimal training, but you won't have any problem finishing it.

I agree. You might be a little slower but you should be ok.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    That's awesome guys.

Thank you. That's a huge weight off my shoulders.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with above posters. :)
    I would add that if you feel you are not trained to RACE it, I'd intentionally run/walk it as a training run. That is, not do the typical extra burst of hard effort in the last few miles that you'd do if you were trying for your very best time. It can be hard to do in the excitement of race day, but I find this makes all the difference in how I feel the next day (or week), even if the time differences is just a few minutes.