Ignoring Calories???

Options
There are some healthy foods that I want in my daily diet but I end up avoiding because they are fairly high in calories compared to what I should eat each day (about 1400 cals). Some examples are almonds and yogurt with granola.

Since I'm missing out on some great healthy food because I'm too busy focusing on my calories, I'd like to somewhat ignore my calorie intake and just focus on the food itself. Has anyone else done this and if so did it work?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    You can still eat almonds and granola, you just have to manage the portion sizes.

But yes, you can forgo calorie counting and use other means to monitor your progress, like measurements or how your clothes fit, etc.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    There are some healthy foods that I want in my daily diet but I end up avoiding because they are fairly high in calories compared to what I should eat each day (about 1400 cals). Some examples are almonds and yogurt with granola.

Since I'm missing out on some great healthy food because I'm too busy focusing on my calories, I'd like to somewhat ignore my calorie intake and just focus on the food itself. Has anyone else done this and if so did it work?

So basically, you want to stop counting so you can eat "healthy" foods in larger quantities? If you do that and go over your TDEE, you will gain weight. Calories are calories, healthy or not.

And you can fit those foods into your diet, it just comes down to portion control and choices. Be carefule with granola though - it is typically very, very high calorie (per volume/portion) and loaded with sugar (especially if it's store bought).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating just one serving? I eat lots of nuts and granola and get them worked in.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I feel like you need to do both.
    If it's a whole food (i.e. the almonds) then include in moderation.
    If it's package food (the yogurt, granola) you can play "the label game" as my husband calls is, where you hunt around comparing products until you find one that best matches your nutritional needs.
    For example it took us a while to find a bread that I was happy with for breakfast (favorite breakfast = toast) that contributed to protein and fibre enough to actually make toast a satisfying meal.
    I'm sure that there are products that match your needs.
    Happy hunting.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called clean eating. I don't count calories, I aim to eat 5-6 small meals a day (5 on non workout days, 6 on workout days) and I just manage portion sizes. I've lost 5.6 lbs this last week.
  • stillme4you
    Options
    That would be the Atkins diet. You could try way limiting your carb intake (talking 20-30g per day), this includes sugar which is straight carbs, and not worry about going over a bit. It's tough to do but that is the diet my husband, son, and I are on and we are all losing. But it's tough limiting the carbs. That means basically no cereal, no granola in your yogurt, little bread (and what bread you do eat would be the low carb bread). Check out www.netrition.com and look at their line of low carb stuff.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes.

Yogurt can be 100 calories (great snack item/small breakfast).

Almonds are even less for a small hand full (15 almonds).

But basically, you want to stop monitoring your calorie intake (Absolutely vital for weight loss) so you can eat whatever you want in whatever amounts you want?

I eat out, have pizza, enjoy all foods and still am losing weight. It is about accountability and making sure I meet my macros properly.

If you seriously are torn between having none of it, or gorging yourself on 1600+ calories of almonds and yogurt a day, I say avoid it then. Too much of ANY food is unhealthy.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    That would be the Atkins diet. You could try way limiting your carb intake (talking 20-30g per day), this includes sugar which is straight carbs, and not worry about going over a bit. It's tough to do but that is the diet my husband, son, and I are on and we are all losing. But it's tough limiting the carbs. That means basically no cereal, no granola in your yogurt, little bread (and what bread you do eat would be the low carb bread). Check out www.netrition.com and look at their line of low carb stuff.

She said she wanted to eat granola, Atkins is not the right diet if she wants to eat granola.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    Portion sizes.

Yogurt can be 100 calories (great snack item/small breakfast).

Almonds are even less for a small hand full (15 almonds).

But basically, you want to stop monitoring your calorie intake (Absolutely vital for weight loss) so you can eat whatever you want in whatever amounts you want?

I eat out, have pizza, enjoy all foods and still am losing weight. It is about accountability and making sure I meet my macros properly.

If you seriously are torn between having none of it, or gorging yourself on 1600+ calories of almonds and yogurt a day, I say avoid it then. Too much of ANY food is unhealthy.

I don't recall seeing anywhere in the OP's post about her eating however much she wants. She just wants to be able to enjoy high cal foods. I know what it's like to restrict your diet to 1200-1500 cals and not eat nuts/granola because one serving is like 300 cals for a tiny serving.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Regardless of how healthy the calories you eat are, if you eat more than you burn, you will gain weight. It's that simple.
  • stillme4you
    Options
    She can have the yogurt, but would have to give up the granola. They might make a low carb granola product somewhere. You might find at netrition.com.

No matter what, it's dieting. There's give and take with dieting. You want to eat whatever you want, you're gonna have to exercize to work it off.
  • andiimarie
    andiimarie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat yogurt, nuts, and granola on almost a daily basis and it fits in to my 1500 calories. I eat them, but I limit my portion sizes. For instance, I put a tablespoon or two of granola into my yogurt, or I eat 15-20 almonds at a time. Whether or not your count your calories, your body will still only burn so many calories, and you will gain weight if you're eating more than your body can burn. I wish it was as easy as just eating healthy foods.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation, but if you are in maintenance then I would say ignore the daily calorie count and just monitor your weight, but if you are trying to lose then I would keep track of the calories as accurately as possible.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I'm not looking to over-indluge or do anything extreme. If I have a day where I eat toast for breakfast, a mid-morning snack of yogurt/granola, lunch of fish/chicken with steamed/grilled veggies, afternoon snack of fruit, dinner of lean meat/veggies I will end up right at or over my calories. That means no nuts instead of fruit, or no milk with breakfast or I go over my calories. I have hit my goal weight, I enjoy working out about 4 times a week, and I don't have any issues with serving sizes or portion control.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    You can still eat almonds and granola, you just have to manage the portion sizes.

I vote this. I watch what I eat, trying to eat healthy stuff as well as watching my macros/calories. I had yogurt with granola/almonds for breakfast. I measure out the serving size and mix it up. I don't ban anything from my diet unless I decide I don't like it.

Eta- my yogurt is only 55 cals for 1/4 a cup and granola(with almonds mixed) is about 120 cals for 1/4 cup. I usually eat this as breakfast and don't do a morning snack.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called clean eating. I don't count calories, I aim to eat 5-6 small meals a day (5 on non workout days, 6 on workout days) and I just manage portion sizes. I've lost 5.6 lbs this last week.

I've heard people mention clean eating, but I've never looked at what that really means. I'll have to look into it.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    It's awesome. I feel so much better since eating clean. It basically means eating as close to nature as possible. If you pick up something off of a shelf at the grocery store and you can't read the list of ingredients, it doesn't belong in your body. Lots of veggies, fruit, just whole, real, non processed foods. I cut out sugar about 99% of the time (except natural sugars) and I don't eat artificial sugars. If you really want to check it out, google Tosca Reno. She also has a bunch of books, so far I have bought and read 3 of them and I love her.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    There is a way to work the foods you love into your current calorie intake. I am sure that you will work it out. Like the others have said, it is about portion control.

Try a quarter cup or less of granola sprinkled on top your yogurt.

Try having just 10 to 15 almonds instead of a half a cup.

Try having a half cup of yogurt instead of a whole cup.

Be smart about your choices, enjoy the food you love.
  • angelicasmommy
    Options
    Oh and I also have a recipe for granola that is to die for...so you can still have granola when eating clean :)
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I've heard people mention clean eating, but I've never looked at what that really means. I'll have to look into it.
    In my opinion, "clean eating" works when there is an emphasis on vegetables and whole foods in general. The foods are either low calorie or very satisfying even in small portions because of their fat/protein/and/or fiber content and rich flavor (such as avocado, nuts, or a nice cut of grassfed stead). Therefore the person ends up eating a fairly low-calorie diet. They may not be counting the calories, but if they were tracked, you'd see that they are not eating a lot of calories as compared to their energy expended.

Most types of yogurt and granola (while obviously not the worst foods by any means) wouldn't fit the bill for me in the above type of diet; they would be more of a treat food in my opinion. Both typically have a fair amount of added sugar.