anyone tried atkins?

Options
Did anyone tried Atkins diet? I did 3 days i couldn't stay on, i felt like i had no energy not only to exercise but even to do laundry and basic stuff went to sleep early like kids , i couldn't stay on. I guess i want to just hear from someone who did it how was it and was it successful in general to keep the weight off?

Replies

• bettersusan
    bettersusan Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yes and I would not reccommend it.
  • jenners22
    Options
    Did anyone tried Atkins diet? I did 3 days i couldn't stay on, i felt like i had no energy not only to exercise but even to do laundry and basic stuff went to sleep early like kids , i couldn't stay on. I guess i want to just hear from someone who did it how was it and was it successful in general to keep the weight off?

I actually chewed out subway (their corporate office) for endorsing this diet and then still claiming to be part of the American Heart Association. Oh, it really irritates me.

anyways, the reason you had no energy is because you had no fuel for your body. Our bodies fuel are...carbohydrates. Lovely, tastey, filling, complex carbohydrates.

It is a short term, very unhealthy diet. The second you start eating carbohydrates (and you will because your body NEEDS them) the weight you lost will come back with a vengence. I think this is the real reason carbs get such a bad rep. But truthfully, they are the best thing for your body, that is why the bottom of the food pyramid is so big, we need more grains than any other food group. Make sure the carbs you do eat are complex and stick with whole grains instead of the white breads and such.

Hope this was helpful. :ohwell:
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    doctor atkins diet was for those who suffered with high blood sugar it was never ment for the normal person to be on .to much fat and protein.it dose work if you stick to it. i think weights watchers is better or just 1600 cal a day diet
  • BamaRose0107
    Options
    I tried it but hated the way I felt. Plus what I lost I gained right back when I started eating real food again.
  • 2inspire
    Options
    I did Atkins/South Beach and had excellent results with it....until I went off it...I gained DOUBLE what I had lost. I loved the diet because I literally melted and I was never hungry but it is not a "lifestyle."
  • Shelley130
    Options
    I did Atkins/South Beach and had excellent results with it....until I went off it...I gained DOUBLE what I had lost. I loved the diet because I literally melted and I was never hungry but it is not a "lifestyle."

Ditto
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    Yes I tried it several years ago. Lost some but I alwasy felt tired and oily. My hair started falling out too. The sad thing is is that I am low carb dieting now. Ugh, I'm always tired! As soon as I get paid I am switching to a much healthier diet. It is easy on Atkins to eat really bad because you will still lose. But you can actually feel it affecting your health. I wouldn't recommend this diet.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    Atkins is the first diet I ever tried. Lost about 20 pounds but HATED EVERY MOMENT of eating that way. It's completely unrealistic and DOES NOT fit into the lifestyle I now enjoy of "clean", "whole" foods. Yes, refined simple carbs are not good for you, but don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. The food God gave man to eat was filled with complex CARBS. Eat them. Enjoy them. That is all.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You did not stay on it long enough. Loss of energy is a temporary side effect. Atkins diet is a way of eating. It is meant to be a lifestyle change just like south beach and others. If you do it just to lose the weight and go back to what you were doing before you will gain the weight back but that is true of any 'diet'. Read over various eating plans and chose one that you will stick with for life. I prefer atkins (modified to my style) but I don't have an affection for whole grains (breads pasta etc).
    If you like carbs or you are not going to stick with it for a lifetime, then atkins is probably not for you.

There several websites that review various plans. Also MacMadame listed this site on another post.
    http://www.naturalhealthyellowpages.com/metabolic/self_test.html