Horrible Run

Options
2»

Replies

• nefbaker
    nefbaker Posts: 79
    Options
    Bad runs sometimes happen to good people.

Too true. I've been running for a year and a half now, and about twice a month I have 'bad' runs. Sometimes it's not enough hydration. Sometimes it's I've eaten/not eaten. Sometimes its the heat. Sometimes its I need an adjustment at the chiropractor.
    Sometimes, it's just a bad day.

But even a bad day running is better than a good day on the couch.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    This has the story of my entire summer it seems!! I can't seem to take the heat/humidity either!! (And when I say, "heat," I mean anything above 70 degrees! I feel like such a wimp!! LOL)
  • RunsForFood
    RunsForFood Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I think those runs just happen. I ran 4 wonderful miles Saturday morning with no problem, then tried to run an easy 2 Sunday night and hated every second. Don't let it bring you down.

i agree with everyone else that says if it happens again on your next run try more water or something different.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I ran during our triple digit heat wave over the Summer, BUT started at 5:30 A.M, so I "beat" the heat so to speak. Now, I can't get out that early.
    So was it much hotter on the thermometer than what you were acclimated to?
    If so, that's your likely culprit I'd guess.
    If not, sounds like just a garden variety bad day, and nothing to worry about unless it keeps happening and interrupts your training.
  • hskorija
    hskorija Posts: 13
    Options
    I live in a really hot place where the daytime temps reach over 125F with virtually no humidity. I typically try to run about 4 times a week outside early in the morning before the sun rises. Despite my best efforts to consistently run outside, it's sometimes best to hit the gym and run faster and longer. Actually it's kind of motivating to feel how strong you have become by braving the sweltering temps, building endurance and stamina then running all out on the treadmill and feel the difference. Keep up the good work! I am sure there is a great run in your near future.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Fatigue can be a hydration issue but if you feel or know you've had enough water then that might not be it. Good luck.

Fatigue and (de)hydration are unrelated. The only physical response to dehydration is thirst.

Bad runs happen. If it was hotter than normal and you ran at the pace you normally run, then that's what caused the early onset of fatigue for you. Try starting out 30 to 45 seconds per mile slower than usual and ease into it. Your body will adapt to the heat. It takes about 3 weeks to become acclimated.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    How long does a typical 5 mile run take you?

2 things...

1) bad runs happen. I wouldn't jump to any major conclusions based on 1 bad run. It's part of the game.

2) If you're not used to the heat and/or humidity, then definitely look at hydration. Getting hydrated before a run is much easier and will give you better results than trying to hydrate during a run. Drink more the day before, and make sure your electrolytes are good. I'm a big fan of 1 Nuun tablet daily during heavy training season just to keep things somewhat in check.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Fatigue can be a hydration issue but if you feel or know you've had enough water then that might not be it. Good luck.

Fatigue and (de)hydration are unrelated. The only physical response to dehydration is thirst.

I'm hesitant to disagree with you because I generally think you know your stuff... but my personal experience tells me different. I definitely notice a performance difference when I'm not drinking like I should.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options

2 things...

1) bad runs happen. I wouldn't jump to any major conclusions based on 1 bad run. It's part of the game.

2) If you're not used to the heat and/or humidity, then definitely look at hydration. Getting hydrated before a run is much easier and will give you better results than trying to hydrate during a run. Drink more the day before, and make sure your electrolytes are good. I'm a big fan of 1 Nuun tablet daily during heavy training season just to keep things somewhat in check.

My running club was offering free Nuun tablets samples. I think I will give it a try. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions. As usual, the MFP "support group" always makes me feel better.

I typically run 10 minute/mile when I run over 3 miles. If I only have time for a 3 mile run, I do 9 minute/mile.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It happens. Having a bad run is par for the course.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I'm hesitant to disagree with you because I generally think you know your stuff... but my personal experience tells me different. I definitely notice a performance difference when I'm not drinking like I should.

I'm in the middle of reading "Waterlogged" by Tim Noakes which debunks the myth that hydration or dehydration is responsible for every performance gain or loss or other symptoms that are witnessed during distance events. He cites studies from the last 100+ years that all come to the same conclusion about how the body processes fluids, deals with the lack of fluids and how it tells us that we need to replace fluids. The "drink during exercise" culture that we live in has been propagated primarily by the big beverage companies to sell their sports drinks, starting in the 1970s with Gatorade.

It's a very interesting read. Here is an excerpt from the book that appeared in Running Times.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=26481
  • jacksonpt
    Options

I'm in the middle of reading "Waterlogged" by Tim Noakes which debunks the myth that hydration or dehydration is responsible for every performance gain or loss or other symptoms that are witnessed during distance events. He cites studies from the last 100+ years that all come to the same conclusion about how the body processes fluids, deals with the lack of fluids and how it tells us that we need to replace fluids. The "drink during exercise" culture that we live in has been propagated primarily by the big beverage companies to sell their sports drinks, starting in the 1970s with Gatorade.

It's a very interesting read. Here is an excerpt from the book that appeared in Running Times.

Thanks. Maybe I'll check it out, always up for a few off-season reads.

I agree that the drink while exercising notion is largely propaganda, but I do think there is something for keeping hydrated in general.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

2 things...

My running club was offering free Nuun tablets samples. I think I will give it a try. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions. As usual, the MFP "support group" always makes me feel better.

I typically run 10 minute/mile when I run over 3 miles. If I only have time for a 3 mile run, I do 9 minute/mile.

Then a 5 mile run should take you roughly an hour, in which case you shouldn't really need cals or fluids during the run assuming (and that's a big assumption for some people), that you are eating and hydrating properly between runs. Which brings me back to my first point - could have just been a bad day.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Thanks. Maybe I'll check it out, always up for a few off-season reads.

I agree that the drink while exercising notion is largely propaganda, but I do think there is something for keeping hydrated in general.

In general yes. I concur. But being dehydrated (to the point that someone in the civilized world would become dehydrated) won't impact performance. It's a good read. The excerpt itself is very informative. The book goes into great detail.