Sunny-Side Up: In Defense of Eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Whether or not eating too many eggs is harmful doesn't really affect me at all because I'm not crazy about the taste of eggs, especially the yolk.

But I didn't really see that article as a defense of eggs, but just pointing out that one study showing them as harmful doesn't mean they are. It's just pointing that there is too much conflicting research out there on eggs for anyone to declare them safe or unsafe with any certainty.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Eggs are really good and I like them. But when I had My CHOLESTEROL levels checked and My LDL (BAD) was borderline, I began to TRACK among other things My Cholesterol Intake... Do you know that the MAX Cholesterol per day is 300 mg, and that ONE SMALL EGG has 260 mg!!! SO, YOU decide what is BEST for YOU; I now eat EGG WHITES, this is where all of the Protein is, as well as what is needed for Baking and binding. So what good is the "Yoke/embryo" for health and culinary purposes?

Dietary cholesterol has a marginal impact on blood cholesterol. In fact, egg (whole) have been found to actually decrease LDL.
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    Interesting article in The Atlantic. Amazing that there still is no real consensus on the health effects of egg consumption. I, for one, will continue to eat them.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/sunny-side-up-in-defense-of-eggs/261600/

Thanks for the post - Now let me put it in a little perspective - just a little.

Many of you MAY NOT KNOW - that 2/3 rds of people that suffer a heart attack *Myocardial infarction" DO NOT HAVE coronary artery disease that is occlusive (blockage). That's 67% DO NOT HAVE BLOCKAGE at the time of their heart attack. Look it up.

WIth out getting too far astray (why not take the time to stir even more controversy here! GO baby!) Dr. Adkins may have died from an Epidural Hematoma in the brain (bleeding) after blunt trauma (a fall), but he did suffer congestive heart failure due to cardiomyopathy. Now while his doctors said it was from a virus - not his high saturated fat diet (how convienent - but also possible), his wrongly released medical information to Vegan groups revealed that he had suffered a heart attack dispite having normal coronaries. This also could have led to congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy.

So here's the tie in (I know some of you are wondering where this is going). Dr. Adkins appears to have had a heart attack somewhere in his past without coronary artery disease from the standpoint of blockage just like the majority of Americans.

What caused it then? Well here is an excerpt from the article referenced by this forums creator:

"But four hours after you eat a high cholesterol meal you get inflammation in the arteries, there's increased oxidative stress, the increase in oxidized LDL cholesterol--which is the most harmful form or cholesterol -- is almost 40 percent, and you have impairment of the function of the artery lining."

The Harvard School Of Public Health states: "What about cholesterol in food?

"For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does." http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/#Intro

So that is to say that bad cholestorl and bad heart unhealthy fats and carbohydrates can produce factors (triglycerides and LDL) that are inflammatory and are harmful to vascular health.Inflammation in the artery wall is a growing area of interest these days as in the inflammatory nature of the foods we eat.

All this is to say that foods that raise the inflammatory nature of our bodies can have some down side potential. Of course it's all balance. So while there are several thoughts that go into any arguement, and the research continues, just be aware that their is evolving evidence to support the current thinking of the role of inflammation in our illness or health. Restrict your intake of fats to heart healthy fats, restrict heart unhealthy fats (Saturated and Transfats to under 7 to 10 percent of calories per AHA), avoid unnecessary simple carbs (added sugar), and limit bad cholesterol. And that's no YOKE.
  • scarecrow41
    Options
    Interesting article in The Atlantic. Amazing that there still is no real consensus on the health effects of egg consumption. I, for one, will continue to eat them.
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2012/08/sunny-side-up-in-defense-of-eggs/261600/

Thanks for the post - Now let me put it in a little perspective - just a little.

Many of you MAY NOT KNOW - that 2/3 rds of people that suffer a heart attack *Myocardial infarction" DO NOT HAVE coronary artery disease that is occlusive (blockage). That's 67% DO NOT HAVE BLOCKAGE at the time of their heart attack. Look it up.

WIth out getting too far astray (why not take the time to stir even more controversy here! GO baby!) Dr. Adkins may have died from an Epidural Hematoma in the brain (bleeding) after blunt trauma (a fall), but he did suffer congestive heart failure due to cardiomyopathy. Now while his doctors said it was from a virus - not his high saturated fat diet (how convienent - but also possible), his wrongly released medical information to Vegan groups revealed that he had suffered a heart attack dispite having normal coronaries. This also could have led to congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy.

So here's the tie in (I know some of you are wondering where this is going). Dr. Adkins appears to have had a heart attack somewhere in his past without coronary artery disease from the standpoint of blockage just like the majority of Americans.

What caused it then? Well here is an excerpt from the article referenced by this forums creator:

"But four hours after you eat a high cholesterol meal you get inflammation in the arteries, there's increased oxidative stress, the increase in oxidized LDL cholesterol--which is the most harmful form or cholesterol -- is almost 40 percent, and you have impairment of the function of the artery lining."

The Harvard School Of Public Health states: "What about cholesterol in food?

"For most people, the mix of fats in the diet influences cholesterol in the bloodstream far more than cholesterol in food does." http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/#Intro

So that is to say that bad cholestorl and bad heart unhealthy fats and carbohydrates can produce factors (triglycerides and LDL) that are inflammatory and are harmful to vascular health.Inflammation in the artery wall is a growing area of interest these days as in the inflammatory nature of the foods we eat.

All this is to say that foods that raise the inflammatory nature of our bodies can have some down side potential. Of course it's all balance. So while there are several thoughts that go into any arguement, and the research continues, just be aware that their is evolving evidence to support the current thinking of the role of inflammation in our illness or health. Heart healthy fats and limit bad cholesterol. That's no YOKE.

Simple sugars are what causes the spike in triglycerides.
  • texastango
    Options

All this is to say that foods that raise the inflammatory nature of our bodies can have some down side potential. Of course it's all balance. So while there are several thoughts that go into any arguement, and the research continues, just be aware that their is evolving evidence to support the current thinking of the role of inflammation in our illness or health. Heart healthy fats and limit bad cholesterol. That's no YOKE.

I would agree, except to add it's the extra sugar - which does not go to restoration of glycogen stores and muscle - increases triglycerides. That is, we all need sugar for energy production. The excess turns to triglycerides.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer in whole natural foods, eggs included. Butter over margarine anyday. The FDA changes its recommendations on the whim of whoever has donated the most money recently.

I love eggs. Yolks are awesome for shiny hair and strong nails. Two of my new favorite ways to cook them: Mash 1 banana, mix well with 2 eggs, pour in hot greased skillet. 2-ingredient banana pancakes! 265 calories, 18 g of protein, $.40 for the whole recipe. The second way is poached in tomato sauce. Heat 1 cup of sauce in a skillet, when it bubbles, crack in two eggs. Cover for 5-6 minutes. Serve over a baked potato, toast, spinach, pasta, rice - whatever. So yummy!

I just watched a video on youtube for the banana pancakes. The eggs poached in tomato sauce sounds amazing! I'm ALWAYS looking for something easy, nutritious and delicious for the family.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    LOL I eat about 5 egg whites and 2 whole eggs a day every morning. I guess I'll start smoking too.
  • texastango
    Options
    LOL I eat about 5 egg whites and 2 whole eggs a day every morning. I guess I'll start smoking too.

Honey, you already are smoking (HOTT).

As Mr. Spock would have replied to Captain Kirk:

"Your response is non-sequitur!"
  • scarecrow41
    Options

I would agree, except to add it's the extra sugar - which does not go to restoration of glycogen stores and muscle - increases triglycerides. That is, we all need sugar for energy production. The excess turns to triglycerides.

Agreed.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Love eggs! This may sound a lil' gross but I will eat a fried egg over my oatmeal w/ a bit of bacon bits, for something different (and savory). :smile:

Yum! Will try this week!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eggs are really good and I like them. But when I had My CHOLESTEROL levels checked and My LDL (BAD) was borderline, I began to TRACK among other things My Cholesterol Intake... Do you know that the MAX Cholesterol per day is 300 mg, and that ONE SMALL EGG has 260 mg!!! SO, YOU decide what is BEST for YOU; I now eat EGG WHITES, this is where all of the Protein is, as well as what is needed for Baking and binding. So what good is the "Yoke/embryo" for health and culinary purposes?

Dietary cholesterol has a marginal impact on blood cholesterol. In fact, egg (whole) have been found to actually decrease LDL.

Dietary cholesterol has a marginal impact on blood cholesterol for most people. For some it has a significant impact.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The yolk is the best part!!