Carbs

Options
Hello All...

I don' t feel that I am on a low carb eating plan, but the 165g carbs a day goal that myfitnesspal has set for me for my age, weight and the amount of weight I want to lose seems high to me... Please let me know what you think... Also, I always seem to surpass the 45g of protein, of course staying at the 1200 calories... Also, when you add your workouts and it adds calories to your daily goal, is it okay to still stay at 1200?? It almost seems like a waste of the workout, even though I know it's not... HELP!! Thank you!

Replies

• juan gear
    juan gear Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Everybody has different calorie needs. M.F.P adds calories so your body does not start to think it's starving. I think the M.F.P. calories are on the low end of the scale anyway, any lower and and your body starts holding on to fat so you don't starve. Get a GOOD! body fat scale a woman should not be below 22% and a man 11% I know it's not fair but health will suffer.
  • bschwerdt
    Options
    I know what you are saying. I seem to go higher on the protein as well, and I try not to go past the 1200 calories either even after a workout. I hope it is OK.
  • uchialli
    Options
    I've read multiple nutritionists warn not to go below 1200. If you do, your body will actually start retaining fat and other forms of energy because you aren't eating enough. If you're aiming for 1200, always make sure you go over a little, or your body won't respond well. Also, a word of advice...eat what you can, when you can. As you drop weight, it will be harder and harder to lose even more weight. If you start eating 1200 calories now, if you have a bunch of weight to lose, it will be extremely hard to drop the pounds later after your body has adjusted to its new diet.

As for the carbs, I haven't sat down and calculated them, but I assume they are 40-30-30. That means you need to get 40% of your calories from carbs, 30% from fat and 30% from protein. Unless you have a nutritional disease (like diabetes), this is a fairly sure fit way to lose weight, most nutritionists agree. So for 1500 calories:
    - You need 600 calories from carbs. There are 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate. 600/4=150 grams of carbs per day.
    - You need 450 calories from fat. There are 9 calories per gram of fat. 450/9=50 grams of fat per day.
    - You need 450 calories from protein. There are 4 calories per gram of protein. 450/4=113 grams of protein per day.

Hope that helps.
  • mdup777
    mdup777 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm a type 2 diabetic and I try to get at least 150 grams of carbs a day. If I eat more than two or three fruits a day my sugar is high the next morning. I try to limit my fruits to two per day (Bob Green's life diet) and all the green vegies I want. It's great that I love vegies!! I do pretty good as far as protein, even though I get tired of meat all the time. I do drink slimfast shakes sometimes and add a little extra protein (tofu). I've used slimfast more lately because I broke a tooth and I can't bit into anything. I'm on the 1,200 calorie diet too and I will try to go a little over even when I exercise 5-6 days a week.
  • rainshower3
    Options
    How can I change my carb and protein intake on my dairy? Carbs to high and protein to low.
    Feel they need to be switched.
  • sschoof27
    Options
    Op, listen to your body. If you feel the carb goal is unrealistic then scale down how many grams you eat. I feel the same way, I hardly ever surpass 100g of carbs in a day. Usually I hit around 70g. Fat and protein make up most of my nutrient goals and I have been steadily losing weight that way. To change your goals, hit the menu button in the mobile app, and go to "goals".
  • wildbitch
    Options
    treebs wrote: »
    Hello All...

I don' t feel that I am on a low carb eating plan, but the 165g carbs a day goal that myfitnesspal has set for me for my age, weight and the amount of weight I want to lose seems high to me... Please let me know what you think... Also, I always seem to surpass the 45g of protein, of course staying at the 1200 calories... Also, when you add your workouts and it adds calories to your daily goal, is it okay to still stay at 1200?? It almost seems like a waste of the workout, even though I know it's not... HELP!! Thank you!

• GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sschoof27 wrote: »
    Op, listen to your body. If you feel the carb goal is unrealistic then scale down how many grams you eat. I feel the same way, I hardly ever surpass 100g of carbs in a day. Usually I hit around 70g. Fat and protein make up most of my nutrient goals and I have been steadily losing weight that way. To change your goals, hit the menu button in the mobile app, and go to "goals".

Congratulations, this could quite possibly be the oldest bump I've ever seen here on MFP, 8 years 361 days.

Holy… I was wondering why nobody immediately showed up at the "your body holds on to fat". Then I saw this.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I wonder how many people that were regularly on here back then are still on here today.
  • sschoof27
    Options

MrM27 wrote: »
    sschoof27 wrote: »

Congratulations, this could quite possibly be the oldest bump I've ever seen here on MFP, 8 years 361 days.

Ha ha. It was on one of the first pages under Nutrition, probably why I didn't bother checking the date