How to deal with weight loss advice you don't agree with?

Options

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    it's called intermittent fasting. there are a bunch of different ways to do it but i've read a lot of people on here practice that and have had good results. however i've also read it's not good for women to do it. it's all in what you research and people can make data say anything they want it to... which is why you have so many different diets.

if you want to read into it and see where he's coming from, here's a good link:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-intermittent-fasting/#axzz24lXtyV00

anyway, just tell the guy thanks and you'll look into it and then just... don't lol it's none of his busines how you lose weight anyway.

^^This. You co-worker is right, there is research that says IF is the best way to eat. Of course there is research that says eating every 2-3 hours is the best way to eat. No one really knows the answer and for every piece of research pointing one way, there is another piece of research pointing the other.

Therefore, when I get advice that I don't agree with, I just smile and say, "thanks, I'll look into that."
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I would ask him if I had to wear a loin cloth too!

Actually, I would just say how interesting that was and how many diverse theories there are out there.

He may be being supportive, or just nosey - but I always try giving people the benefit of the doubt. (the key work here being TRY :laugh: )
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It's a very common method of dieting actually called Intermittent Fasting. Many people have good success on it. The traditional wisdom that six small meals a day is changing. Not to say that's wrong either, it's just that different things work better for different people. Don't be close minded and file it away for later. I used IF when I hit a plateau and found it was just what I needed to get me going again. Anytime someone tells me about their newest diet idea, I try and listen, no matter how ridiculous it sounds, because it's all a learning experience. The more I know about different diets the better I can arm myself for success. I always do my own research though and don't believe anything just because someone told me it worked for them.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Ask him how long the average caveman lived, if he thinks that was a happy carefree life, and if he would bang a cave-woman.

Then walk away.

Brace yourself for the paleo fans!
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Say, "interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks" If he asks again "yea, I looked into it. I think what I am doing right now is best for me, but I appreciate you telling me about it."

^^^^ perfect!
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Just acknowledge - you don't have to agree. "Thanks for letting me know." Then drop it and do what you feel is right for you. :smile:

*nods*

Honestly, what works for one person simply doesn't work for another. And what works for one person might not work all the time either. So absorb whatever information you get, do your own research and determine whether you think it's appropriate for your situation, your life, the way you like to deal with things, etc. Doesn't sound like the person was trying to be mean or rude at all so - best intentions and all that.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I get lots of advise from all over, eat this not that, drink this only, why are you not eating starches so on and so forth...I'm doing what I need to do for my weight to come off. I do appreciate hearing all the different things that are helping others but don't expect me to drop whats working for me and do what works for them. I don't want anyone to stop eating starches without talking to their doctor first. It's not a diet for everyone it works for me and I've gotten used to it. I quite enjoy it now..surprisingly. Good luck with your decision.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    "interesting, I'll look into it." LOL

This is how I deal with all unsolicited advice. I get tons of it on every imaginable subject. I've concluded I must have a very innocent and questioning expression on my face most of the time.
  • samlankford
    Options
    lol just remember "OPINIONS ARE LIKE BUTTHOLES,EVERYONE HAS ONE!!" :laugh:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You can tell him "thank you for caring about my well being; I'll do some research on my own and determine if that's right for me. I really do appreciate it." and SMILE :D
  • majones_orl
    majones_orl Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Great advice, so I would repeat.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I use to be the person to try and get them to understand a different side to the story but it became to exhausting. Now, I just smile & nod! If you don't want to do it, don't! Then avoid that conversation all together. I've even had to stop telling certain people at work what I am doing b/c they were so far in my business. Live & learn & don't do it again! lol
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    A co-worker approached me this morning, and told me about something he had read this past weekend. Apparently I will get 'better' results if I limit my eating to only six hours a day. He said that humans previously only ate infrequently because food was hard to get (caveman days, apparently), and that we've grown accustomed to eating too much. All I would need to do is figure out which six hours I would eat, and then only drink water (I guess) the rest of the time. All I could say was "I don't agree with that", and fortunately, had to leave for a meeting.

I don't want to even get into a discussion with him about this, because he would get really defensive and spend hours researching to prove his case. It's really bothering me that maybe I could have handled it better, but would love to hear other thoughts about this. I really had to bite my tongue before I said the word "ridiculous". And no, he isn't just pulling my leg, I think he really believes it.

That is awkward! I would just tell him what your doing is working for you right now. But you'll keep an open mind for the future.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Ask him how long the average caveman lived, if he thinks that was a happy carefree life, and if he would bang a cave-woman.

Then walk away.

Cavemen can't use the Internet, I'm not too worried about it.
  • jacquig9
    jacquig9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @pipsg1rl: You hit the nail on the head w/one-upper! I could tell some stories, but really, there's no point. I can just see him coming in about a week from now telling me how much weight he's lost "and how much have you lost???" sigh... competitive, and he's not even trying to lose weight... not a bad guy, just becomes totally immersed in your activities and interests.

Thanks again, everyone! I'm sure this wont' be the end of it, but now I have some really good ways to handle it.
  • NostalgicMuse
    NostalgicMuse Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    :huh:

is it that hard?
    WALK AWAY.

advice avoided.

you are quite welcome!
  • jacquig9
    jacquig9 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @NostalgicMuse: i wish it were that easy, we're in adjacent cubes. all i have to do is stand up, turn my head and there he is.

EDIT: That's why I posted.
  • Denise1224
    Denise1224 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I know the type I have a few of them here at my office too ... I stopped telling them about my weight loss / fitness goals and just started answering with things like "oh you know with the kids and all I don't have a lot of time so I really haven't been tracking my weight loss etc" ... eventually they stopped asking which is fine by me! LOL :-) Good luck to you!!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Then walk away.

Cavemen can't use the Internet, I'm not too worried about it.

:laugh:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had a co worker who was very much the same way

Best way I dealt with her was by playing as dumb as I could... O I didnt know that?! REALLY!? etc. After having to explain things 3-4 times she stop offering me advise.. probably cuz she thought I couldnt handle it :) LOL