PT Test!!

Options
Ok I have a PT test coming up in November, I wanna do good on my 2 mile run. i know that aint much but im trying to bulk up till december 31st for muscle mass and trying not to do too much cardio. Any tips on improving my run to get ready for this without doing crazy run sessions??

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert runner, but i love running for my cardio.

my only suggestions would be other forms of cardio - jumping rope, jax, etc - that will help with ur cardio in general - but i dunno about any kind of endurance...

what about just running with no incline.... low speed, that would be mininal effect ( but good endurance ) ??? maybe? lol
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What is too much cardio?

You don't need a lot of cardio to prep for a PT test, but you have to push yourself. The only thing that will prep you is running. At worst you need to run 3-3.5 miles a couple times per week. One of those days, you need to run one as if it were a PT test.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    i dont need to cut right now, im getting just enough calories/carbs/fats with my workout sessions to bulk on some muscle gains. When my cut starts i will do sessions of cardio. Just not ideal for bulking
  • Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    My husband is in the military and he was able to build muscle and go from scoring in the low 80s to high 70s up to a 95 by doing Insanity and Crossfit workouts. They are only 20-45 mins long but they give you cardio plus muscle building. Good luck !
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    i dont need to cut right now, im getting just enough calories/carbs/fats with my workout sessions to bulk on some muscle gains. When my cut starts i will do sessions of cardio. Just not ideal for bulking

The 2 mile run is about cardiovascualr endurance....the only way to really train for the PT test is run. If you don't care about your score this time around, don't worry about it. You get plenty of time to pass.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    To prepare for the 2 mile run, best would be do 2 mile runs, once or twice/week. Since it is a relatively short distance you will not burn a ton of calories, therefore not impacting your bulk very much. just warm up for 2-3 minutes, then cool down for 2-3 more, this way total cardio should be in the 20 minute range. This should only burn 300ish calories twice/week so that should not make a significant difference.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I would suggest doing at least 2 miles a day. It shouldn't take you that long if you are trying to do a PT Test. What I have learned that works well is doing double the amount. I know you don't want a long session but it definitely improved my runs.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    It's petty tough to build your cardiovascular system without doing cardio ;-)

I would suggest swimming/biking. Swimming will help immensely with the breathing/pacing and also is a great every-muscle workout. Biking will help focus on your legs.

It seems like you'd like to stay away from running, but I would do sprints. Maybe do something like 3 minutes at jog pace (6-7 mph) then 30s to 1 minute at a sprint (11-12mph). If you like to run outside and have access to a good hill, sprint up the hill and walk/lightly jog back down and repeat. It will help build up your speed and muscle without the endurance session
  • becca14u2nv
    becca14u2nv Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    What branch are you? I have an Army Max PT training guide.
  • aaronf289
    aaronf289 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Best way to train for the run is to alternate between sprinting and jogging....as you progress, increase the distance or time you sprint and shorten the recovery time (jogging). You do have to train for a 2 mile run, if you want to improve your time.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    It's petty tough to build your cardiovascular system without doing cardio ;-)

I would suggest swimming/biking. Swimming will help immensely with the breathing/pacing and also is a great every-muscle workout. Biking will help focus on your legs.

It seems like you'd like to stay away from running, but I would do sprints. Maybe do something like 3 minutes at jog pace (6-7 mph) then 30s to 1 minute at a sprint (11-12mph). If you like to run outside and have access to a good hill, sprint up the hill and walk/lightly jog back down and repeat. It will help build up your speed and muscle without the endurance session

Yea i was thinking doing 60/120's, sprint 60sec, walk 120sec for like a total of 20-30 min.
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    Army.....Thanks all for the input
  • kairisika
    kairisika Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Sprints and weighted runs will train your cardio for a short 2mile run while adding strength, rather than losing it. Long-distance running can inhibit bulking, but 2 miles isn't very long, and doing short, hard stuff can actually benefit a strength program.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    HIIT training may be your ticket. I'm assuming you do still do some long runs just to keep your VO2Max up?
  • patsnyder89
    Options
    PS: ive took plenty of pt tests. Been in for 4 years just havent had this much muscle on my frame, And havent ran in a good bit. But yea i think ima go with the sprint then jog/walk method
  • HerbT51
    HerbT51 Posts: 36
    Options
    Ok I have a PT test coming up in November, I wanna do good on my 2 mile run. i know that aint much but im trying to bulk up till december 31st for muscle mass and trying not to do too much cardio. Any tips on improving my run to get ready for this without doing crazy run sessions??

The Army is (at least currently) your job. Bulking up is a personal choice. You know what time you must achieve to pass your PT. What are the consequences of failing that time? What is the consequence of not reaching your muscle building goal in December? I think you should weigh your priorities. The answer will present itself to you.
  • patsnyder89
    Options

The Army is (at least currently) your job. Bulking up is a personal choice. You know what time you must achieve to pass your PT. What are the consequences of failing that time? What is the consequence of not reaching your muscle building goal in December? I think you should weigh your priorities. The answer will present itself to you.

I know I can pass it. I just want to do a whole lot better than last time. And the consequences of failing it this time only mean i gotta take it again. Im gonna keep my goals on building my body the way I want it. Was just browsing for other tips for improvement on the run
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    PS: ive took plenty of pt tests. Been in for 4 years just havent had this much muscle on my frame, And havent ran in a good bit. But yea i think ima go with the sprint then jog/walk method

Good idea. I think you'll be golden. I'm still a huge fan of swimming, so if you haven't tried it and you have access to a pool, I still recommend it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Yeah, run 1 miles 2 times a week, and 2 miles once a week. Done.