salad dressing

Options
I eat salad quite a bit. I normally add plenty of veggies, sunflower seeds for a little crunch and a dab of cheese. Without dressing my salad is normally under 100 calories or just above. But then once I add dressing it can be over 200!! Sometimes I use Italian or even light dressings because they are lower calories but then the salad just tastes ick and it makes it harder for me to eat salad and not be tempted by unhealthy foods. Some people say that since salad itself is so low cal to not even worry about the dressing and just use he full cal kind. I was wondering what everyone else thought about it. Do you make your own dressing? use light kinds? Don't use at all? Or just use regular ranch because well lettuce is only 10-15 calories. :)

Replies

• leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I use bottled store bought dressings. I also like to use vinaigrettes, and oils, and things like red wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar. There are many products that are low cal and very tasty. If I am making a shrimp salad, I saute the shrimp in butter and then pour the pan, juices included, over my prepared lettuce and salad fixings. This way the hot sauce wilts the lettuce. Do this using shrimp and scallops. If I use, say imitation crab from the store or drained can of tuna or salmon, then I will use a prepared dressing. When I am eating 4 to 6 cups of salad greens and salad mixings, I don't worry about the dressings!!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    Bump to see any ideas that people have as i agree x
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I haven't used dressings in almost a year. I would rather add more food in the salad with different flavors than have a high caloric but no nutrition dressing in my salad.

Next time you reach for a salad dressing, instead put some grapes, watermelon chunks, or cut apples in it instead. And don't forget your protein! Shrimp or omega-3 oil fried chicken breast will make that salad filling!

EDIT: Salad should never be a snack IMO. I think it should be the centerpiece of a meal. Snacks would be more like almonds, humus & carrots, yogurt with a banana, or low sodium turkey bacon.
  • ubabette
    Options
    I make my own dressing but use low cal when I don't have any. Try using your dressing on the side - dip your salad into the dressing with your fork instead of pouring it on the salad - that would save alot of calories:wink:
  • fablevins
    fablevins Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love Bolthouse Farms salsa ranch yogurt dressing! It tastes great and only has 45 calories and 3 grams of fat in 2 tbsp.
  • dsskinsinger
    dsskinsinger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the Wishbone Spritzer. It's only 1 calorie per spray and I use about 10 on my entire salad. It's saved me a lot of calories.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I just buy the commercial light dressings and measure carefully. I put the salad in a tupperware type container, add the dressing and shake it to evenly distribute.

If you have one of those tiny cups that come from liquid cold medicine or liquid cough medicine, they are fantastic to use for measuring liquid condiments like salad dressing, ketchup, etc.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    I use light dressing or fat free dressings. My favorite is light raspberry vinaigrette.
  • elexichoccyeater
    elexichoccyeater Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Yogurt with a bit of milk .. To loosen it with various flavours like chives, lemon, mint.. Are all lovely x
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use salsa...and love it! or have the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it before you fork your salad. I do that and use maybe 1 tablespoon of dressing.
  • beerwidow
    beerwidow Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Try Salsa - lots of flavor & low cal :-)
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I usually whip up a mix of olive oil and vinagar with a dash of salt and pepper and whatever other herbs I feel will go with whatever veggies I put in. I try to mix up the salad itself every time so I don't get bored and the oil really brings out the flavours.
  • wjniii
    wjniii Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love and use the Newman's Own lite dressings.
  • fragaria
    Options
    My favorite salad without using a "real" dressing....Taco salad made with romaine, ground turkey cooked with taco seasoning, cheese, avocado (if you like), lots of salsa, and a little light or non-fat sour cream (over even yogurt). You can add some tortilla strips for a little crunch. And if you love ranch, you can even mix a Ranch seasoning packet with a nonfat sour cream and use that for dressing with this or any other salad.
  • greedygirl118
    Options
    I make my own - usually extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice or vinegar in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. You only need enough to lightly coat the leaves, so maybe a Tbsp of oil per person. Plus it's healthy fat. I can't eat prepared dressings, especially the low fat kind, which are very artificial tasting. Plus it's much cheaper to use oil and vinegar.
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Make your own dressing. It's so easy.
  • girllovedcupcakes
    girllovedcupcakes Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make making my own with the ranch seasoning and Greek yogurt. I thin it out a bit with almond milk and keep it in a squeeze bottle.
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Try the Bolthouse Farms collection of dressings. They are yummy and very low calorie for 2 tablespoons.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I mix my own homemade greek yogurt with salsa which comes out like a funky 1000 Island dressing. Also use a balsamic vinaigrette quite a bit. 3 tbsp Olive oil, 2 Tbsp honey, 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar:, 1 tbsp water, salt and pepper to taste. I also add homemade granola as a topping and homemade shredded fresh coconut which I "toast" up in the food dehydrator for about 6 hours. Other than that I have stopped using commercial brands because my taste buds have changed since I've cleaned up my diet.:smile:
  • gibsy
    gibsy Posts: 112
    Options
    Just don't use very much. You don't need every square centimetre of lettuce coated with dressing, just a very small drizzle is plenty.

I make my own with olive oil, apple cider vinegar, the juice of half an orange, a tiny pinch of brown sugar and some cumin. The formula for a good dressing is oil, vinegar, and SWEETENER. Just a hint. Until I finally figured this out I couldn't stand my own homemade dressings. The smallest bit of sugar or honey will take the whole thing to the next level. Again, just take it easy with the serving size. As little as a teaspoon is enough for a side salad.