Does anyone workout barefoot?

Options
I don't have sneakers, so I've always done my workouts (aerobics mostly) barefoot. Does anyone else workout barefoot? Is it a bad idea to continue like that? I've noticed more creaking in my knees lately, and some arch pain...but I was kind of hoping my feet would strengthen naturally if I continued barefoot.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I used to folk dance barefoot--and at times when I forgot my shoes, I have done a stairmaster or cross trainer without shoes (just put some towels on the footpads).

But running and walking....no....with my foot structure and biomechanics, my knees would be shredded.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Good, bad or indifferent I do my WII fit barefoot. I am not a big one to ever wear shoes in my house so I it just habit for me :)
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I hate wearing shoes. Whenever I'm forced to workout inside, I refuse to wear them. I don't really know if it effects your workout at all, but no, you're not alone.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    It's good to wear them to absorb shock, but if you are only doing low impact you should be ok. I always wear my runners, my knees kill me if I don't :bigsmile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I like to wear mine for shock absorbent it is better on my legs and ankles when I do. I do a lot of jumping doing my wii EA Active or my jillian Michaels videos
  • Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I workout barefoot.... I haven't noticed many issues from that so far. I have to keep my workouts fairly low impact as I live on the thrid floor of an apartment building. I don't want the poor people below me to think the ceiling is going to cave in :laugh: But seriously, I occasionally feel a bit of pain in the balls of my feet, but my ankles and knees have been fine.
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how your feet are and what activities you are doing. I can do Yoga and stretching barefoot, but anything involving impact or plyometric movements requires sneakers with good lateral support. Enjoy.
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i do yoga, dance and aerobics indoors every once in a while without shoes with no problem. but a couple years ago I had really bad blisters on my heels from hiking boots and so when I went running, i went barefoot on the grass. I did that for three days in a row (about 2 miles each run) and on the fourth day, when I went to get out of bed, my arches were hurting so bad i couldn't even walk around my house barefoot. i had to wear shoes constantly for the next 3 days just to get my feet to stop hurting.

so if you've noticed pain in your arches i'd say it's definitely from not wearing shoes. if i were you, i'd wear shoes to work out like twice a week.
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I walk Bare foot with socks on though, so I guess not completely barefeet, but I love it. I started walking like that because of blisters from dress shoes I used to walk in, I had to remove them and could not wear shoes for a week maybe longer and then started to while rehabing would walk in socks, because I literally could not in shoes, and when I was healed I decided I did not want to get blisters again & I also very much enjoyed walking in socks so decided I would do it the rest of my life no joke, in the house that is.:laugh: I know that the repeated turning in shoes would cause me to get blisters again, so that was that & all for the best, because walking naturally is the best feeling.:smile:
  • miaangel345
    Options
    I only do Yoga and Pilates barefoot, I don't think it's good to do aerobics barefoot since it can put such a strain on your arch.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I do when I am at home. I HATE shoes!

Of course thsi is against the advice of my podiatrist, orthopedist, family doctor and chiropractor. Good shoes protect knees and ankles more than feet.

I just cannot bring myself to wear shoes in my own house:ohwell:
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I only work out barefoot... unless I'm on equipment or running. Shoes just seem to get in my way..
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to workout all the time barefoot. But I've had some foot issues lately and wearing shoes helps - even just around the house. I hate shoes, but I hate for my feet to hurt more.
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    My dad has worked out barefoot for years and he's always tried to get me to do so. (to no avail) Unless he's outside running, he thinks it's more comfortable.
  • jenninsocal
    Options
    Ouch Ouch Ouch! I try.. I hate shoes, but it KILLS my arch after about 10 minutes of low-impact cardio.
  • amosarli
    Options
    I used to work out bare foot, I hated wearing shoes! But I found my knees and arches felt it when I tried to step up the intensity. I discovered my problem was that I never had a pair of sneakers that fitted properly! I have since been fitted by a professional and have never looked back!