What works for you...share secrets...

Options
Hi there... I am new here...15 days posting, and I am loving it!!

I know we all have different situations, and no two people are the same, but I am curious about what things you have learned since joining MFP, what tips you can share that may help us all on our journeys... whether it be with eating or exercise.

I learned to really watch my sodium intake... I never realized how sodium can affect our bodies and hinder weight loss...

I'd love to hear what works...or does not work for you!!!

Replies

• HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.... I apologize if this is seems incoherent, I was trying to entertain my kids, cook supper and type my "tips" lol.

First let me say, there are no "secrets". The only thing that works is hard work and dedication to yourself. So, remembering that everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for the other, here is what works for me:

- keeping macros at or around 40/30/30 - 40% carbs, 30% fat and 30% protein.
    - don't be afraid of carbs! Carbs fuel the body. Just stick with "good" carbs.
    - fat is not the enemy. Natural fats (think nuts, lean meats, etc) are good for you.
    - Protein helps to maintain lean muscle mass while losing weight. I aim for around 120g of protein a day and have been successful in losing fat and maintaining (even slightly increasing) my lean muscle mass.
    - Sodium sucks!! haha. It's in everything and anything that is processed or bought at a fast food place; including Subway and Quizno's :(. I have my goal set at 1500mg per day, but I really try hard to stay around 500mg daily. I cut out most processed foods, ie: deli meats and boxed/bagged foods. I still eat some, like cereal and such, but have given up the majority of it.
    - Don't give up! One bad choice will not make you or break you. It will not ruin all of your hardwork. We all struggle. Just suck it up and get right back at it!
    - EAT! Just eat more natural foods. Lots of fruits, veggies and meat (shop the perimeter of the grocery store) :) I now eat more (quantity but better quality) than my husband lol.
    - MOVE YOUR BODY! Whether you walk, do DVD's, strength train.... get some form of activity in and try to do so every day :)

Also, take the time to educate yourself. You'll have lots of people on the boards tell you all kinds of stuff. Some true, some full of BS. Research for yourself and then through trial and error you'll find what works for you. I have had great success in learning about BMR, TDEE and what my body needs.

After saying all of that, I will say that it's overwhelming at first, but then you get into the swing of it and the eatting healthy and the exercising becomes second nature. Simply put.... Move more and eat natural foods.
  • lilpe5512
    lilpe5512 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I agree with my girl HodderAL. It took some time for me to figure out what works for me but I finally did. It hasn't always been perfect but I keet trying. Eating clean as much as possible and constantly moving has been the key to my success.

Good luck!
  • aqm22
    aqm22 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome and good luck!

There really is no secret. As far as I know, there are no secrets. There are no magic food, no magic pill, no magic plan. It's just hard work and dedication mixed together with patience. It's just calories in < calories out. Watch what you eat and how much you are eating. Exercise when you can (or make time for it if you can't). Get enough sleep. Don't deprive yourself but also don't over indulge. It's little choices and modifications that helps a little at a time. Over time it will result in great changes.

If you are asking for secrets to over come the little, annoying challenges that comes your way. Then, well, you need to be a little more specific.

However, I'm rambling. Welcome and Good luck! Make smart choices.
  • jenmfpal
    jenmfpal Posts: 124
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself, with rewards along the way.... I didn't do this all at once! First I thought wouldn't it be nice to loose 10 pounds... 80 later, I'm never going back! Reinforcement is KEY! Don't beat yourself up if you don't always follow through, just try again!

I started with dieting, then when that was successful, added the gym a little, and when that helped added the gym more, but I didn't like it. So... I made going to the gym rewarding. I gave myself these big rewards:
    -Haircut & highlights at 20 pounds
    -new jeans after every 5 pounds - that got expensive as I started loosing 5 pounds a week, but was needed!
    -30 pounds- my husband shaved his beard :)
    -a tablet at 40 pounds in 4 months
    -60 pounds in 6 months was going to be a cruise (but then I did it in 5 and realized I couldn't afford it! lol- maybe if I do 100 in 10?
    -70 in 6 months, more new clothes, I stopped buying for a while, but man I can't stand not having things that fit! and new gym clothes... much needed, when your Capri pants touch your ankles it is not a pretty sight :)

Recently I've thought about it, and could have reinforced myself for going to the gym, eating better, or inches lost, because weight isn't the best measure of the fact that I was being successful!

Take your measurements because the scale is not the only indication that you are making progress, you'll be happy you did.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • andrewlazenby
    Options
    Work harder today than I did yesterday. No. Matter. What.

Seriously, no secret. If you exercise, push yourself. When you have a great day, hold on to them. When you have a not so great day, let it go. Just work harder the next day.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Getting up at 3:15 to go to the gym.
    I know it sounds horrible...and some mornings it feels it...but it's the only time of the day where my only possible excuse is "I just don't want to go."
    Nobody needs me that early. Not work, not the wife, not the kids. Nothing ever "comes up" that early to keep me from going.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds horrible...and some mornings it feels it...but it's the only time of the day where my only possible excuse is "I just don't want to go."
    Nobody needs me that early. Not work, not the wife, not the kids. Nothing ever "comes up" that early to keep me from going.

Wow!! that's dedication!!! 3:15 am?!?!
  • LosinItAll2012
    Options
    Thank you all so much for sharing!!! Lots of great advice and info!!!
  • monkeeface
    monkeeface Posts: 59 Member
    Options

3.15?!! OMG. Is that not a little extreme?! What time do you go to bed - 7pm?!

As we know, everyone is different and if this works for you then good on you. Its a little too hardcore for me though as I always wake up tired no matter what time I get up!

What works for me? Location & climate. Hot & sunny and living by the coast I am working out, cycling, kayaking, walking, gardening etc all the time. However, at the moment I am living in a village 3 hours from a coast & it seems to rain constantly. So for me, a move back to the coast should provide motivation. If only someone would buy my house - stupid recession!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

As we know, everyone is different and if this works for you then good on you. Its a little too hardcore for me though as I always wake up tired no matter what time I get up!

What works for me? Location & climate. Hot & sunny and living by the coast I am working out, cycling, kayaking, walking, gardening etc all the time. However, at the moment I am living in a village 3 hours from a coast & it seems to rain constantly. So for me, a move back to the coast should provide motivation. If only someone would buy my house - stupid recession!

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    I've got a busy family and a very demanding special needs child. I decided I need to carve time out to take care of myself because I have people who seriously need me to take care of them.
    I go a little short on sleep...but I've gotten used to it, kind of. :-)
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    The tips I learned were:

*NO MAYO-one tablespoon has 90 calories, most restaurants glop on 2-3 tablespoons, that's almost an extra 300 calories for a veggie sandwich! mustard (@ 12 calories per tablespoon) is much more calorie friendly.

*reduce sugar-I pretty much cut out most of the processed sugars from my diet. I still indulge in the occasional cookie/candy bar

*VEGGIES-and LOTS of them, they fill you up, and help clean out your system.

*no more dressing-I only put pepper and lemon on my salad.

*water-lots of it, drinkdrinkdrink

*Protein-is your friend. Keeps you full

*Don't Deny-yourself the occasional small indulgence, I still go out to eat 'junk' once a week. Now I realize I can't eat as much of it now, but I still get my 'fix'.

I made all these changes slowly, it takes time. Again, different things work for different people.
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    Carb cycling and fasted HIIT cardio are my secret weapons when wanting to lean out
  • LosinItAll2012
    Options

Desperate times call for desperate measures.
    I've got a busy family and a very demanding special needs child. I decided I need to carve time out to take care of myself because I have people who seriously need me to take care of them.
    I go a little short on sleep...but I've gotten used to it, kind of. :-)

This is awesome!! Great for you!!! How lucky your family is to have someone like you take care of them!!! :smile:
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I take MFP with me everywhere. If I have to dine out I pull up the restaurant and pick my lunch/dinner from the MFP lists, not by browsing the restaurant menu. It has saved me a ton of calories (as well as sodium like you mentioned).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I am new here...15 days posting, and I am loving it!!

I know we all have different situations, and no two people are the same, but I am curious about what things you have learned since joining MFP, what tips you can share that may help us all on our journeys... whether it be with eating or exercise.

I learned to really watch my sodium intake... I never realized how sodium can affect our bodies and hinder weight loss...

I'd love to hear what works...or does not work for you!!!

Sodium causes water retention if you have too much of it, but it does not affect fat loss in any way.

That said, wen I first started out, pre-planning my meals every day was essential until I established a habit.
  • waskier
    waskier Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Oh, and get a lot of motivated friends on MFP. Just reading their news feeds will help motivate you.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Dont be afraid to experiment. Different things work for different people.

Drink water. Lots of it.

Never give up a food you love completely. Eat less of it. Strict restrictions lead to binges.

Move more.

Find good friends on here. Dont be afraid to delete absent ones.

Prelog or preplan especially when eating out.
  • JonMB
    JonMB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    A strategy that is working great for me is to type my foot into MyFitnessPal BEFORE I eat it. I don't allow myself to eat unless I've already tracked it. This helps me make sure I log everything and helps me ask myself, "Do I really want to eat this?"
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Running works for me.....it's worked WONDERS for me. When I first started losing weight, I had to be so careful about what I ate, even spending 2 hours, 6 days a week in the gym, I had to be careful.

I'm still careful now, and I'm particular about what I eat, but since I started running daily I have a LOT more wiggle room for when I feel the need for a cookie or some alfredo. :D
  • endureandpersist
    endureandpersist Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great for me, in that it keeps me shape, but it really doesn't help me lose weight. I run and do kettlebells, and with or without doing those exercises, I still lose weight, as long as I keep under or at my caloric intake. I eat pretty much whatever I want, except that I have to eat gluten free. Sodium is not a problem for me, possibly because I use good sea salt, which contains other minerals that work to balance out the sodium.

No secrets!