How do you Calculate the calories when you juice???

Options
Im not sure how to actually calculate my calories when I juice my fruits and veggies... I have been entering in the whole fruit or vegetable. But I am not eating the fruit or the skin only the juice... Does anyone know how this should be calculated. I have looked up juice apple ex... nothing is helping... Give me some ideas... other then that I am counting that im having more calories and sugar then I am.

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    doesn't have to be exact on such things.. you will never get exact any how.. just measure it by the size of fruit pre-juice like you are already doing.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Weigh what you put in the juicer, weigh the pulp, subtract the difference.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I use the recipe thing on here I measure it by cups or the whole fruit/veggie..
  • HeartME511healthy
    HeartME511healthy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Im not sure how to actually calculate my calories when I juice my fruits and veggies... I have been entering in the whole fruit or vegetable. But I am not eating the fruit or the skin only the juice... Does anyone know how this should be calculated. I have looked up juice apple ex... nothing is helping... Give me some ideas... other then that I am counting that im having more calories and sugar then I am.

I did a reboot program and this was challenging for me as well, so the only way it worked for me was to measure everything on the scale. so if you do eliminate the skin then try to calculate this without the skin maybe say a small apple opposed to a large one or build the recipes was one way too. So if I did 1 apple, celery, cucumber and juiced it then I measure it in oz what I was actually going to drink. If it measure out to be 16 oz and I only drank 8 then I would build the recipes and say how much it yielded, then say how much I actually drank. It added up and I did see the difference in building my own recipes.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    When I juice it's a pretty generic veggie juice with carrots, celery and various kinds of lettuce, maybe an apple. I went through the database and averaged out what a typical homemade juice was and came up with about 85 to 90 cals per cup. That is on the high side, but I always figure it's best to over estimate food and under estimate the exercise.
  • AliceNov2011
    AliceNov2011 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Add all the calories of the whole fruit/vegetables.
    Add all the fiber of the whole fruit/vegetables.
    Multiply the total amount of fiber by 4 (calories per gram).
    Subtract the fiber calories from the total number of calories.

That's your juice number!

Mine is about 90 calories, 51 g carbs, 11 g protein per cup.

1 carrot
    1 celery
    2 small Fuji apples
    1 large coin of ginger
    1/2 cucumber
    2 cups kale
    huge bunch of parsley
    huge bunch of wheat grass (I grow my own)
    1/2 lemon or lime
  • Kess31
    Kess31 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much... I was getting 200 plus calories from juicing and I knew that couldnt be right... So I will build the recipie and do some math... Thank you this was very helpful cause I drink about 3.5 cups for breakfast and that includes cucumbers, carrots, berries, 2 apples, ex... Thanks again... and it made my sugar intake very high also...
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    It's good sugar. I ignore anything not processed... and I never eat processed. ;c)
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I REALLY though this was going to be about steroids...
  • AliceNov2011
    Options
    LOL!
  • Kess31
    Kess31 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I just found out Juicing was a term used for Steriods..... I had no clue... Thanks for the advice everyone
  • Juniper88
    Juniper88 Posts: 142
    Options
    Ha! This is EXACTLY what I was also trying to figure out!
    Thanks for posting this question and THANKS to everybody else for all of the helpful tips!
  • TammJ
    TammJ Posts: 1
    Options
    LOL
  • itsmeclee
    Options
    got to http://www.wolframalpha.com/ and enter your foods, i.e. 5 carrots= 67 cal. (juiced):love:
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    http://myphytos.com/

Great site that calculates the amt based on what you put in the juice.....................
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You're only throwing away the fiber of the fruits/veggies (which by the way you need to eat for proper bowel health) which is virtually calorieless. The poster above is way off on her juice calories. 2 apples alone is well over 100 calories.
  • Lilbit992
    Lilbit992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great site... Thank you
  • Lilbit992
    Lilbit992 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    myphytos.com that is..
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I thought juicing was illegal!? :noway: