Processed foods?

Options
2»

Replies

• alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Can you lose weight eating processed foods?

So many sites (Jillian Michaels, My Food Lovers, ect) tell you to stay away from Processed foods in order to boost your metabolism. No Hamburger Helper, Miracle Whip, Lunch Meats, Bread, ect.

This is just sooooo hard. Does it have to be this way? Do I really have to eat a certain way or a certain mix of foods at each meal just to lose weight.

I want to eat my 1500 calories and exercise and lose weight. Is that possible with out having to cut out processed foods?

What do you all think?

Maintain a consistent caloric deficit while getting in adequate proteins and fats, profit

^this.... Take advice from people with abs like this and your are golden :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I avoid as much processed food as possible. This allows me to eat a lot more. Like last night, I had an enormous bowl of couscous, green beans, peas, corn, and shrimp. It was delicious, filling, and only 500 calories. It was the same for the chipotle chicken and rice I made a few days ago. The chicken and biscuits I'll be eating tonight only has 350 calories. We eat really well, most dinners aren't too difficult to make, and I never have to worry about staying within my calorie goal.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    You absolutely can lose while you are eating processed foods but there are some MAJOR drawbacks and I think you'd find it harder to lean towards processed food than to avoid it. "Cleaner" foods tend to give you more bang for your buck- they provide more fuel for your body per calorie than fake cheese sauce and processed meat with fewer detrimental elements- such as sodium or transfat. That's really why so many people rely on them as the cornerstone for losing weight- it's just more filling to eat peanut butter oatmeal that Smacks cereal.

I agree with the posters that suggest you work your way towards it. Use MFP to guide your calories. Use your brain to guide your choices as to what those calories are.

Don't listen to Jillian Michaels; at least not exclusively. Personalities like that are created to sell you product. They will give you basic, surface information so as to give generic advice that will mostly work for most people- not the full info you need to make the right choices for you and your life specifically.
  • stephcthomas
    stephcthomas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes you can lose weight.

However, eating less processed foods is far healthier.

Start eliminating processed food systematically, not all at once where you will feel deprived and fall off the wagon.

Surely you can make some small changes that won't leave you feeling anxious?

I agree with this. Make slow gradual changes. One thing at a time. I found once I started tracking and keeping to my calorie limit I started to eat cleaner just so I could eat more. Doing too much at once could mean failure and you don't want to do that. Best way to start is to start logging what you eat now. You'll see where you need to make changes.

For example if I make my own pizza at home I can keep the calories down and eat 1.5 x what I would of a processed pizza. maybe even double.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I never gave up processed foods. I think everyone has to do what works for them and what they feel good about doing.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cutting back on processed foods worked out for me (along with using a caloric deficit tetc). Experiment and figure out what works for you.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I never gave up processed foods. I think everyone has to do what works for them and what they feel good about doing.

This:)
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    You absolutely can lose while you are eating processed foods but there are some MAJOR drawbacks and I think you'd find it harder to lean towards processed food than to avoid it. "Cleaner" foods tend to give you more bang for your buck- they provide more fuel for your body per calorie than fake cheese sauce and processed meat with fewer detrimental elements- such as sodium or transfat. That's really why so many people rely on them as the cornerstone for losing weight- it's just more filling to eat peanut butter oatmeal that Smacks cereal.

I agree with the posters that suggest you work your way towards it. Use MFP to guide your calories. Use your brain to guide your choices as to what those calories are.

Don't listen to Jillian Michaels; at least not exclusively. Personalities like that are created to sell you product. They will give you basic, surface information so as to give generic advice that will mostly work for most people- not the full info you need to make the right choices for you and your life specifically.

^^^This.