Ring Resizing?

Options
I'm down to within about 25 pounds of my goal weight. So close. After losing the first 70 or so, the wedding ring got loose. I've almost lost it on several occasions, but haven't had it resized because I don't want to have to have that done again. (I have a strong attachment to the ring, sending it away for a week to have a prong repaired made me very unhappy. It's my precious.)

I had the jewelry store put in one of those metal adjusters, but I'm now wondering- are my fingers really going to get that much smaller?

Anyone have experience here? When did you get your rings resized? Am I close enough or should I wait to hit the goal weight?

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I would wait just to be safe. Everyone is different.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Im waiting. Ive moved it to my middle finger. But Im afraid to get it resized then gain some back when I get pregnant.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    My ring is huge but I don't want to resize it until I lose more weight. I have lost another ring but luckily found it in the dryer
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you. I almost lost a ring the other day. I have been leaving them home if I am going to be swimming or anything like that. I have 30 lbs to goal and I am planning to wait & see how it goes. I don't want to resize twice.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a jewelry store so trust me when I say that everyone really is different-you could still lose anywhere from 1/2 a ring size to 3. It's also better for the ring itself if you wait so it gets sized once instead of more times tha need be. Congrats on the weight lose!
  • JennafurC
    JennafurC Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    LOL I actually bought a fake ring (for $9.99!) so that I wouldn't lose my real one before I got it resized. I have to do that soon...I wanted to wait til I was done losing. I'm done losing, just haven't gone to the jeweler yet.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I had my ring resized after I lost 20lbs, but I guess it also depends on how much you have to lose or want to lose. I kept putting it off but it was really starting to annoy me that I couldn't wear it. I am glad I did resize it because it would have been too big for the wedding.

Plus, I can always just get it resized again if I gain weight or lose anymore...
  • nikkiharbor1
    Options
    I had my ring resized right after the time I left the mall and realized on the way home that it was not on my finger. Luckily for me it was in the parking space when I went back. I was so upset at the thought of having lost my wedding ring forever that I went and got it done immediately. I was only about 15lbs from goal at that point. It is getting loose again so I may have to go back.
  • Only1Mickee
    Only1Mickee Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Go to walmart in the jewelry department and look for ring snuggies. Its a clear plastic piece(in different shapes and sizes) that fits on your ring. Works great.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 3 rings sizes, but I am now at goal so I can get the ones I wear all the time resized. I would wait until goal and if you ever feel it getting tighter, then you know to watch yourself again.
  • hypotrochoid
    hypotrochoid Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I think I'll probably stick it out and wait, given what people are saying. Thanks!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Definitely stick it out, I had my engagement ring made 3 1/2 sizes smaller after losing weight for my wedding and I only lost about 20lbs!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Like others said, wait to be sure. Your fingers may get a lot thinner or they might stay the same size.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Go to a local jeweler. They should be able to resize it for you while you wait. It doesn't take very long.
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Wait to get to it resized. Maybe purchase a nice chain and wear it around your neck until you feel comfortable getting it resized. just so you don't lose it by accident!

I went from a size 9 or 10 ring finger to a size 7 after losing 80lbs.
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    It depends on the person...and your bones.

I have been wearing my ring on my middle finger for a couple months and finally went to my right hand middle finger...when I tried on the sizer things at the jeweler we decided I could have it done now even with 30 pounds left to lose because the 6.5 just fits over my knuckle and those bones aren't shrinking. If you are still feeling fleshy-ness when you try the smaller size...wait.

I already had mine sized from a 10 to an 8.5 about 8 years ago...this time I'm going down two more sizes. My poor ring. Lol
  • blu143
    blu143 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't even wear mine anymore. Neither does my wife. I'm not done losing and I hate to have it resized again and again.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resize my ring because of the engraving. I took it to a jewler and had it fitted with that adjustment thingy (can't remember the proper name, sorry)... But it's 14k gold and so far so good..
  • mikiecarson
    mikiecarson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! My daughter is going for a total of 100 pounds while I am going for 60. We are 1/4 of the way there. Your comments are inspiring. This is hard work and you are showing that diligence pays off. Way to go!
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    I'd be on the fence... Many years ago, I lost 20lbs and my rings no longer fit. 5 years later, my weight didn't change so I took the chance and had several sized down (including my class ring) thinking it was "safe." Then I get an endocrine disease a few years later that blew me up 90lbs and 5 years later, I still can't drop the last 60 (and maybe never will)... I can no longer wear any of my old rings. It cost a small fortune to size them down and with gold being up, having them sized back up just isn't worth it. I'm actually thinking of cashing them all in for scrap now, including my class ring. I would be cheaper to purchase another one in the future when gold goes back down...

I can see your dilemma, really. My newer rings are loose now, but I just can't trust getting them sized considering what I went through last time...