Any Vegetarian, Gluten free, dairy free, and/or vegans?!

Options
Hi everyone!

I eat a diet that is vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free and was wondering if there are many others with my same restrictions? Its definitely a challenge when not eating at home..

Looking for friends with open diaries!

Replies

• gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I'm only one of the 4. I'm vegetarian but sadly I don't have as much time to cook as I used to. My favorite dish is hands down vege chili
  • kneecoall
    kneecoall Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, which I guess is good because we can't downfall when it comes to McDonalds or Burger King :]
  • CocoLayla
    Options
    I'm a Vegetarian and I stay away fron Gluten. :) Has helped me keep weight off.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Could NOT do this without eggs & cottage cheese. I am veg & GF.
  • kddruckenmiller
    kddruckenmiller Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, which I guess is good because we can't downfall when it comes to McDonalds or Burger King :]

Burger King has a veggie burger! It's just a Morningstar patty though.
  • lacharp
    lacharp Posts: 66
    Options
    This won't help with the whole eating-away-from-home thing, but if you're looking for some good GF/Vegetarian recipes check out www.wheatlessandmeatless.com.
  • Tori172
    Tori172 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This won't help with the whole eating-away-from-home thing, but if you're looking for some good GF/Vegetarian recipes check out www.wheatlessandmeatless.com.

Thanks! Ill definitely check it out!
  • tabitha2770
    tabitha2770 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am not any of those but I have given much thought to Vegetarian or Vegan diet. I read a book on the benefit of it and I was blown away by how bad meat and dairy and things are for our body. I honestly I haven't done it because
    1. I my bf would never go for eating like that.
    2. I feel lost when I even begin to think about what I should eat.

I don't know anyone who is any of those so getting help hasn't been easy. :(
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian of 22 years who eats gluten-free roughly five days of the week. (I found out that I have a gluten allergy last year, and after eliminating it from my diet for three months, I can now have it twice a week.)
  • Tori172
    Options

Seriously! Especially since the fries at McDonalds has beef flavoring and the yogurt they use contains gelatin makes it a lot easier to stay away!
  • Papayamaya5
    Papayamaya5 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and (mostly) gluten free! feel free to add me gal xo
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    You bet. Grain free and vegan. You'll see some eggs in my diary if you go back a bit, but I have recommitted to vegan. Right now I am journalling my food in the notes section rather than counting calories, so just scroll down.

Eating out? I don't do it a lot. Some possibilities:

- salad
    - raw fruit and veggies
    - steamed or stir fried veggies, mongolian grill, etc. (may be cross-contamination)
    - baked potato
    - fries (beware of cross-contamination, breading, flouring, etc. You have to ask.)
    - smoothie places (orange julias, jamba juice, etc.)
    - since you are not grain-free, vegetarian sushi (watch out for soy sauce)
    - since you are not grain-free, Mexican - rice and beans on corn tortillas
    - if you are not vegan, eggs at breakfast places - maybe veggie omelet with hash browns and a fruit salad.

It is best to look at the menu of wherever you are going, and either pick out a dish you can modify ('taco salad, hold the meat, cheese, and sour cream") or pick out the sides of other dishes to combine them ("can I get your grilled seasonal vegetables, a baked potato, and a side salad, no meat?") Do talk to the chef/kitchen before you go to make sure everything is not prepackaged.

Pam
  • Tori172
    Options
    I am not any of those but I have given much thought to Vegetarian or Vegan diet. I read a book on the benefit of it and I was blown away by how bad meat and dairy and things are for our body. I honestly I haven't done it because
    1. I my bf would never go for eating like that.
    2. I feel lost when I even begin to think about what I should eat.

I don't know anyone who is any of those so getting help hasn't been easy. :(

It definitely can be a hard transition. Which book did you read?

There are so many imitation meats out there now, you just have to try different ones to see which ones you like. I use soyriso instead of ground beef all the time and alot of the times my family doesn't know the difference! haha A lot of recipes get over whelming because of the never ending lists of ingredients, I came across this site that has really simple recipes, and everything i have made from it has been delicious! http://www.theveganstoner.com/