Calorie Counters Beware!

Options
13»

Replies

• kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Somewhat related question. So if the panel says, for example, a serving is 14 crackers (30g), which trumps--weight or serving size? I feel like I'm regularly finding that it takes, say, 18 crackers to reach 30g. Can I eat 18 for the serving or do I have to eat 14?
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey it happens. Just be sure to check the serving count from now on. A lot of people I know don't think about that.
    And this is why they teach you to cook as a child. Those 45 minutes could have been better spent preparing a healthy meal.

:grumble: .
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't actually trust myself not to binge, so my habit is to look at the package of any prepared snack I might buy & multiple the calories by servings. It's deterred me from buying quite a bit but if I just want it that badly, I'm taking ownership of all of the calories before I eat it. Woo empowered eating!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    This is the link for the study that the Today Show did if anyone is interested.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-
    labels/#.UDJFoqpRs2B
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That happened to me with a lunch noodle bowl. It's obviously meant to be eaten at one sitting in the one bowl they give you. 2 servings? Lies!
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Ive been saying for years that they need to adjust the calories on a pint of icecream according to a normal serving......the whole pint.

Agreed, but it's not hard to realize that there are 4 "servings" per pint.

Wait, have you guys not heard of Arctic Zero?! It's supposed to be a like a frozen protein shake. 150 calories per pint. Lots of different flavors. I mean, you aren't going to be fooled into thinking you just ate ice cream. But if you are having an "I'm gonna eat the whole pint" night, see if your local grocery store has these bad boys. They have gotten me through more than one pity party!
    They dont, and i probably wouldnt get it anyway. if i want ice cream, im getting ben and jerrys coffee heath bar. i really dont care what the calories are, haha!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Somewhat related question. So if the panel says, for example, a serving is 14 crackers (30g), which trumps--weight or serving size? I feel like I'm regularly finding that it takes, say, 18 crackers to reach 30g. Can I eat 18 for the serving or do I have to eat 14?

Weight always wins. So yes, eat as many as it takes to get to 30g.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    That Arctic Zero stuff was not worth the calories. Tried the chocolate peanut butter when I saw it in Publix. Meh. I'd much rather have a sugar free chocolate fudgesicle. That tastes like chocolate at least!
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Weight always wins. So yes, eat as many as it takes to get to 30g.

Thanks!
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    [/quote]

One of the morning shows did a test on so called better for you desserts and found that the majority were off on calories by quite a bit. The Arctic Zero was one of the worst offenders testing in at 40-60% higher calories than they were claiming.
    [/quote]

Well, damn. Still better than a whole pint of Ben and Jerry's, though, right? Mostly, I have tried to cut out desserts. But, hey, I'm only human.

Edit--sorry that was supposed to be a quote, but whatever, it didn't work.