Preference: working out solo or with others?

Options
Ok MFP peeps… what’s your preference? Working out alone or working out with others?

For me it’s definitely a solo effort. When I originally got in shape a few years ago I had nobody to count on but myself. I figured if I was going to watch what I ate and get myself to the gym on a consistent basis I was going to need to be able to motivate myself to do it. The only time I like working out with other people is when I go to a fitness class.

I’m beginning to think now that I’m not the norm! My work provides us with gym memberships for the gym across the street and I often go over on my lunch time or after work. I guess everybody noticed me going and now they try to use me as their motivation to get to the gym and it seriously DRIVES ME CRAZY. I have multiple people ask me every morning “Are you going to the gym today? Let me know what time and I’ll go with you.” I consider my lunchtime workouts my little piece of alone time and a sanity break during the day and having to coordinate my trips with other people totally ruins my enjoyment of it.

A new girl at work told me today that her membership is active starting September 1st so she’s going to start going and I need to check with her and make sure she goes. I flat out told her no and said nobody motivates me but me and I’m not going to be responsible for anybody else’s motivation. Someone else nearby told me I sounded like a Nike commercial. Ugh.

I should probably be flattered that others want to follow me but instead I just want to sneak out of the office when nobody is looking and pretend I forgot that they wanted to go with me. I want people to be healthy and take care of themselves and I’m more than willing to be a cheerleader but it’s getting to be way too much.

Anybody else out there have the same problem? Or am I the only crazy, somewhat selfish one??? lol

Any suggestions on how to gently let them down so I can have my peace and quiet back?