Fruitarians and Vegans and Vegetarians

Options
Hey all!
Feel free to add me please :) I'm a vegetarian but want to explore both vegan and a fruitarain diet. :) I need more friends like you guys with open food dairies to help inspire me :) I have a lot of research and really dig the fruitarain diet at the moment but like I said i will only know from the people who live it day in day out! So add me guys and I hope to get to know you all and support :)

Jackie
x

Replies

• jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Google tells me that fruitarians do not eat vegetables. Do you know what the reason is for this?

I'm not here to dis or offer advice, I'm genuinely curious.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    ieL3C

I just think this is funny. I'm just kidding.
  • Hama900
    Hama900 Posts: 25
    Options
    ahahahhaahahahahahah laughing my *kitten* off xD " Diabeetus "
  • feathertouch
    feathertouch Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hey,

please see this link with further links on the page :)http://fruitnet.org/

It's extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It also says that they do eat veg and consider cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers as non sweet fruits and only lettuce, spinach and other leafy greens as veg. A fruitarian does not eat grains, bread or pasta however they do eat seeds and nuts :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Google tells me that fruitarians do not eat vegetables. Do you know what the reason is for this?

I've never heard the term before, but I know there's a sect of people who will only eat food that has fallen off a tree/bush/whatever on its own. Not only do they not believe in killing animals, they also think it's cruel to pick living plants or take fruit off of its host before it falls itself. That may be what fruitarians are.

It is not a lifestyle I'm even remotely interested in!
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I read about a fruitarian diet years ago. I'm not sure I understand it well, but I think it includes nuts, right?

At your latitude, I am guessing you will be craving heartier, cooked food on cold days, but I'm just basing that on my desire for warm comfort foods when the snow starts flying. I'm vegetarian, and *mostly* vegan. I try to eat natural whole plant foods, but there are times I get lazy, and resort to eating veggie convenience foods for practical reasons.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a vegetarian but I'm not logging my food at the moment. Feel free to add me though, I go through phases where I start logging again (it's not a lack of dedication, I just want to see how well I can stay on track without logging all of my calories. We've gotta break away from mfp at some point, after all).

Good luck with whatever diet you choose!
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    HI, I dont claim to be any "tarian" but I like to call it a garden diet with occassional eating of treats. Check out durianiders on youtube...they eat only fruits ...I love fruit but not a friutarian..sorry, and i keep my dairy closed , better yet check out "thegardendiet.com" its a husband and wife who are raw and all 5 of there kids were raised on raw fruits and veggies and nuts, she is so smart ....she has a blog and she's on facebook...I try to eat about 60% raw .
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Depends - some people prefer the taste, some think it's more natural and others because fruit doesn't kill the plant (whereas most vegetables take plants up by the roots). I don't know how many people actually buy the cruelty to vegetables thing.

I've tried fruitarianism - sort of a progression from raw because I didn't like eating so many vegetables (too low-calorie, too bitter). It takes some grit if you like eating savoury food or baked things. I got tired of being bloated and full all of the time, so I'm back to more calorie-dense foods.

OP, I don't keep my diary open but I'm always open to friends with similar diets/outlooks. :)
  • Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

I've never heard the term before, but I know there's a sect of people who will only eat food that has fallen off a tree/bush/whatever on its own. Not only do they not believe in killing animals, they also think it's cruel to pick living plants or take fruit off of its host before it falls itself. That may be what fruitarians are.

no not at all , its someone who eats only fruits ...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

no not at all , its someone who eats only fruits ...

I get that. But what would be the reasoning behind only eating fruit? No one is a vegetarian, vegan, whatever without a reason.

"Some fruitarians believe fruitarianism was the original diet of mankind in the form of Adam and Eve based on Genesis 1:29.[15] They believe that a return to an Eden-like paradise will require simple living and a holistic approach to health and diet.[18] Some fruitarians wish, like Jains, to avoid killing anything, including plants,[15] and refer to ahimsa fruitarianism.[19] Some fruitarians say that eating some types of fruit does the parent plant a favor and that fleshy fruit has evolved to be eaten by animals, to achieve seed dispersal."
  • sassyusername
    sassyusername Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The fruitarian stuff is really interesting. The only time I'd ever heard the term before was in a movie (About a Boy I think). I thought they had completely made it up.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my mum had a friend who only ate things that didn't kill the plant.

She swore that she had this sonic tape recorder that could detect vegetables screaming as you sliced into them. :noway:

Its kind of like 'Nightmare at the Farm Stall!

Anyway, she ended up collapsing from being malnurished. :ohwell: