thoughts on yoga?

Options
2»

Replies

• rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It depends on the kind of yoga you mean. But there is a yoga for everyone! Some people are saying that yoga doesn't burn calories or is too slow for them; that's why I much prefer kundalini yoga to hatha yoga. The movements are much faster and more like "working out" than your regular "stretching/poses" yoga. There are lots of breathing exercises and poses that can help tune up your glandular system, your metabolism, etc., which is GREAT if you're trying to lose weight. My favorite yogis (I've been to a retreat they hosted and do lots of their DVDs) are Ravi Brett and Ana Singh . . . if you want to learn more about kundalini yoga and moves that would work for you, check out their website: raviana.com. The FAQ section is very informative.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Yoga is awesome, there is no such thing as a person it wouldn't benefit, so don't fret on that account. It will improve strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination. It will help to prevent muscle, joint, tendon, and ligament injuries by making them stronger and more supple. It's challenging, but rewarding. Definitely give it a try. You might like it, or you might hate it, but at least you will know and you won't have to wonder.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Yoga has really helped me reduce muscle soreness even though I have intense workouts 6 days per week. I was about 240 when I started.
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love all the in put! It seems like it woukd be great to start to incorporate into my daily routine. I'm needing something to focus and get me going.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am learning to like yoga. I had such a misconception about what it was and how it could benefit me. I do not question that at all anymore. I would suggest that if you want to become more flexible and get a nice work out at the same time, do yoga. It has been more challenging than any other work out because it is forcing me to BE STILL. We can all go at break neck speed but this is really a great way to SLOW DOWN... :flowerforyou:
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Just my Size Yoga with Meghan Garcia.

It's a nice low impact 30 minute session that you'll be able to do. It's a GREAT starter. I do it every morning before work and it makes me feel fantastic.
  • penniemh
    penniemh Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I did Hot Yoga at well over 200#'s, I lost about 20#'s in 6 weeks while watching what I ate (and gained it all back when I moved and no yoga) I don't actually like Yoga, but I do like how it makes me feel, and I loved my coaches.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    my friend heather and I take yoga 3x a week and we love it! It's our fave class of the week. It's an adaptive yoga class that is for all fitness levels and easier for people who are beginners to yoga or have limitations/ previous injuries. I've been at it 6 wks and I am getting stronger, my balance and posture are improving, and I'm more flexible. At least try it before you think it isn't for you. If you can't find a gentle or adaptive yoga to start with, talk to the teacher and tell her you are a beginner and ask that she suggest some modifications for the harder exercises. There are all ages and fitness levels in my class from a young pregnant gal all the way up to men and women in their 70's! If I can do it at 300lbs I'm sure you can do it, and I bet you will love it.
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a life changer... see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Oh my goodness, that's amazing! :cry:
  • msdeeb
    msdeeb Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a life changer... see this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

OMG that video was motivating. NEVER GIVE UP! That's the theme. Thanks for sharing
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said. I'm a big guy and always thought yoga was for women. I am not flexible at all, but since I've been doing it I can see a flexiblity improvement. It strengthens muscles that don't normally get a workout. And you feel awesome when your done! It's like anything, it takes practice.
  • lsiberian
    Options
    I say it's time to take a Yoga class. Be sure to keep track of how well you are learning the postures and techniques.
  • chellie346
    chellie346 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm excited to start this!
  • miss_erynn
    miss_erynn Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to lose weight, yoga is the wrong way to go.
    Yoga is to tone your body, strengthen your stability - physically and mentally, increase your flexibility, control breathing and a lot of people swear that it calms them down and decreases anxiety and stress levels.

I disagree with this... Yoga has helped with my flexibility and balance and core to such an extent that my aerobic exercises are easier (I hike, mountain climb and bike)... My endurance is better and my flexibility is off the charts...

I think it shouldn't be the ONLY thing you do to try to lose weight... But it can help

Pretty sure I said it increases flexibility............... but regardless, you cannot do yoga alone to lose weight. Simply impossible. It is not a cardio workout. It should be mixed in with cardio, weights, etc., and with a proper well-balanced diet.

I got caught up in all the "yoga hoopla" when I first started, i.e. went all organic/raw/vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, kombucha-drinkin'. People swore to me it would make me lose weight, clear my skin, help me sleep better, keep me energized, regulate my breathing. I definitely didn't lose weight from that alone. And that was hot yoga 4-5x a week, where you sweat 3 gallons and "burn" 1000 calories. In fact, I GAINED it because I was developing/building muscles I didn't know existed, ha!

Looking into yoga teacher training, and having friends that are yoga teachers, they have told me that yoga will not allow for successful weight loss.

Weight loss is 80% diet + 10% exercise and 10% genes.

If your goal is increase flexibility, tone your body and muscles, increase balance, increase stamina, control breathing and anxiety and stress levels, it is for you. If you want it to help get you in better shape for more cardio-esque exercise, it is for you.

Definitely try a beginners class and let the teacher know you are brand new. She will come over and help with postures and show you modifications, especially if you have injuries or whatever. I started with Bikram, my first class I threw up for 20 minutes post-90 minute class and swore it off to never go again. I now practise Moksha-style yoga (a take on Bikram), and go 3x a week now.

Just remember, it takes getting used to. I used to think people were judging me in the room because they were all so skinny and flexible. But then I remembered that at one point they started yoga, too. No student or teacher of yoga does a pose perfect; your pose is perfect in itself, whatever your capability and body allows for!
  • Glane1
    Glane1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yoga is great when added with a regular workout plan. The workouts you do will build muscle but the Yoga stretches the muscle you've built. Without it the muscles will get easily fatigued. It's all great for stress (as most people know) and can really boost energy. I would recommend it to anyone, and if you start and want to lose some weight while doing it, a lot of people are trying hot yoga. Hope it helps!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I used to think yoga was too slow and kind of boring. I love my spin classes and the pace was just too slow for me. However, I have learned to love yoga and incorporate it several times into my workout routines. I might not love it much while I am doing but I love how I feel afterward! :flowerforyou:
    Just a word to the wise-do not apply hand lotion before doing yoga. The yoga mat will soon feel like a Slip and Slide!!:noway:
  • HappyHag
    HappyHag Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing that! I just sobbed my eyes out, but in that wonderful "yes!" kind of way :)
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Yoga pants are hot
  • Bufite
    Bufite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am really, really bad at yoga. Took up Bikram yoga about 2 months ago. I keep falling off my mat, I have to sit out a lot of the poses because of the heat and I really can't stand on one leg. But it's my favourite thing. It's a real challenge against yourself, and I always come out of class feeling renewed and relaxed (and purple and sweaty). I have a quite a bit of weight to lose but there are people in class who are bigger than me (although I don't think there is anyone in the class who is worse at yoga than me :laugh: ). It's definitely worth a shot.
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You're obviously referring to hatha yoga. You seriously can lose weight with kundalini. How do I know? I've done it! Kundalini has much more of a cardio spin.
    If your goal is to lose weight, yoga is the wrong way to go.
    Yoga is to tone your body, strengthen your stability - physically and mentally, increase your flexibility, control breathing and a lot of people swear that it calms them down and decreases anxiety and stress levels.

I disagree with this... Yoga has helped with my flexibility and balance and core to such an extent that my aerobic exercises are easier (I hike, mountain climb and bike)... My endurance is better and my flexibility is off the charts...

I think it shouldn't be the ONLY thing you do to try to lose weight... But it can help

Pretty sure I said it increases flexibility............... but regardless, you cannot do yoga alone to lose weight. Simply impossible. It is not a cardio workout. It should be mixed in with cardio, weights, etc., and with a proper well-balanced diet.

I got caught up in all the "yoga hoopla" when I first started, i.e. went all organic/raw/vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, kombucha-drinkin'. People swore to me it would make me lose weight, clear my skin, help me sleep better, keep me energized, regulate my breathing. I definitely didn't lose weight from that alone. And that was hot yoga 4-5x a week, where you sweat 3 gallons and "burn" 1000 calories. In fact, I GAINED it because I was developing/building muscles I didn't know existed, ha!

Looking into yoga teacher training, and having friends that are yoga teachers, they have told me that yoga will not allow for successful weight loss.

Weight loss is 80% diet + 10% exercise and 10% genes.

If your goal is increase flexibility, tone your body and muscles, increase balance, increase stamina, control breathing and anxiety and stress levels, it is for you. If you want it to help get you in better shape for more cardio-esque exercise, it is for you.

Definitely try a beginners class and let the teacher know you are brand new. She will come over and help with postures and show you modifications, especially if you have injuries or whatever. I started with Bikram, my first class I threw up for 20 minutes post-90 minute class and swore it off to never go again. I now practise Moksha-style yoga (a take on Bikram), and go 3x a week now.

Just remember, it takes getting used to. I used to think people were judging me in the room because they were all so skinny and flexible. But then I remembered that at one point they started yoga, too. No student or teacher of yoga does a pose perfect; your pose is perfect in itself, whatever your capability and body allows for!