is it normal to be really hungry?

Options
Hi today I started my journey to get healthier, lose weight, and conquer my binging. While I haven't caved yet, I fine myself very hungry despite using all my calories for today. Is this normal since your body is getting used to it (especially when you binge on a regular basis) or do I just need to eat more..? thanks.

keep in mind I don't really log all my water intake. whenever I'm hungry like this with a calorie limit I try to substitute food withw ater and it doesn't really work...

Replies

• OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    open up your diary so we can see what you are eating. but no you shouldn't be really hungry. maybe your protein level intake is low.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I have always had the same question I am glad someone brought it up. :)

I bet most of replies will tell you to eat more. However in my case, if I eat more, I won't lose; I would only lose when I feel hungry. :( I have tried out different methods for the past year and it proved I just have to be hungry to be skinny. I can't do that. :brokenheart: :sad:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    It's probably hard for anyone to help you since your diary isn't open.

I'm really hungry lately too and I'm eating all my 1200 calories plus exercise cals too :(
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you want advice, open your diary.

But no, you don't have to be hungry to lose weight. That's nonsense - and if you are making a lifestyle change, who wants to live hungry forever?
  • vengefullilac
    Options
    can you see my diary now?
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    If you're using MFP's autogenerated numbers, you could be shorting yourself in the calorie department.

Take a look at you Total Daily Energy Expenditure and Base Metabolic Rate to see what you should be eating at a minimum.

You can find a calculator for those numbers here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html

The other thing you might want to look at is your macro ratios. MFP tends to be very carb heavy in its recommendations in auto mode. You might want to consider lowering your carbs and raising protein and fat. Protein and fat have far better satiating effects.
  • bisland
    bisland Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would say no you should not be hungry. Eat lots of protien, fruit, vegtables & make carbs whole grain. I have never been hungry. I do not loose the fastest, but I am loosing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Yes, just a couple of thoughts:

Instead of the very high calorie dried fruit, have actual fruit instead. Lower in calorie and it will fill you up better.

Also, make sure you have your numbers calculated correctly. Here's a great resource for figuring it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • vengefullilac
    Options
    If you're using MFP's autogenerated numbers, you could be shorting yourself in the calorie department.

Take a look at you Total Daily Energy Expenditure and Base Metabolic Rate to see what you should be eating at a minimum.

You can find a calculator for those numbers here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators.html

The other thing you might want to look at is your macro ratios. MFP tends to be very carb heavy in its recommendations in auto mode. You might want to consider lowering your carbs and raising protein and fat. Protein and fat have far better satiating effects.

do you know one thats less confusing?
  • vengefullilac
    Options

Yes, just a couple of thoughts:

Instead of the very high calorie dried fruit, have actual fruit instead. Lower in calorie and it will fill you up better.

Also, make sure you have your numbers calculated correctly. Here's a great resource for figuring it out: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

don't have any fruit right now
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    you need to drink A LOT more water...
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    Also you are eating WAYYYYY too little protein
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your diary doesn't look that bad. Are you really hungry or bored? Are you craving certain foods? I find that some times I'm craving certain foods and no amount of calories will make me feel full. Veggies and protein!! I've also learned that nuts are not enough for the calories on days I'm hungry but are great when I need to just fill in calories.
  • vengefullilac
    Options
    you need to drink A LOT more water...

you didn't read my post did you
  • muamontreal
    muamontreal Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am very hungry too ! And I am eating what I am supposed to eat if I follow MFP correctly. I am new to this so may be I am doing something wrong...I am very frustrated because I can understand it takes a little while to adjust to a new lifestyle but I don't want to starve the rest of my life after I reach my targeted weight.....???
  • vengefullilac
    Options
    Your diary doesn't look that bad. Are you really hungry or bored? Are you craving certain foods? I find that some times I'm craving certain foods and no amount of calories will make me feel full. Veggies and protein!! I've also learned that nuts are not enough for the calories on days I'm hungry but are great when I need to just fill in calories.

my stomach is growling right now
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    High fiber foods work for me.
  • vengefullilac
    Options
    Also you are eating WAYYYYY too little protein

care to share more? how much do I need?
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can add less calorie dense foods that will fill you up rather more. Celery, cucumber and carrot are good.
    An old trick is to add a vegetable soup and an undressed salad to every meal, this slows stoach emptying and helps you feel full. I have to 'trick' my hunger until the next meal and I have a couple of recipes (on my profile) that create concrete mix in my stomach for minimal calories, you can develop ones you like by trial and error. Water on its own drains from the stomach- you can add soluble fibre to it that will slow its passage. (Fibrogel)

Most of my recipes add beans of one sort or another- protein adds saiety. Lentils, quinoa, chickpeas, adame beans. Cottage cheese with extra 0% yogurt is good. Try jelly made with a spoon or two of berries and whey protein.

It is a good tip to add water as sometimes the body confuses the need for fluid with the need for food.
  • mikka050
    mikka050 Posts: 34
    Options
    I was hungry all the time until I stopped eating several small meals and just had a larger and late lunch and dinner (leangains style) I've only been doing this for a week but I am now having trouble eating enough calories rather than finding it extremely hard to stick to the allowance and feeling like food ruled my life.

I am actually really excited about how well I will do in the future now instead of wondering when I can eat my next meal :)