How many calories is the bagel after you scoop it?

Options
Lets say you have a 300 calorie bagel and you scoop out most of the bready inside. How many calories is the bagel now?

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You could figure it out with a scale... but why are you scooping the guts out of a bagel? If the only intention is to make it lower cal, try two slices of bread or some of those "sandwich thin" things.
  • adsumodo
    adsumodo Posts: 38
    Options
    Do you have a food scale? That may be the most helpful. Weigh the stuff you scooped out and subtract it from the whole bagel's weight (found in the nutritional facts by serving size).
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Weigh it before and after, then divide it out. If it's 1/2 the weight, it's pretty close to 1/2 the calories.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Or if it's about half, maybe just eat half of the bagel
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lets say you have a 300 calorie bagel and you scoop out most of the bready inside. How many calories is the bagel now?

Hopefully you're scooping out the guts to stuff more fillings in there like lox, cream cheese, meats, eggs, pb, nutella etc or else you're just being silly
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    How dare you waste a bagel like that!! :tongue: Seriously though? No clue.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, unfortunately I don't have a food scale..

I love bagels, especially the outside, and I plan on stuffing it with chicken salad for lunch at work.

I'll see if any of my friends own a scale!
  • Typhanee83
    Typhanee83 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bagel thins. Brand name: Thomas. Try them. They are delicious.
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    You could just buy the smaller bagels or eat only half. It seems wasteful otherwise. But that's up to you.
  • amsohs85
    amsohs85 Posts: 166
    Options
    They do have bagel thins just like the sandwich thins. Most stores carry them. Saves you all that scooping and gives you more of the chewy outer crust.
  • ohheyy125
    Options
    Okay so obviously the thomas bagel thins make most sense..... woops
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    why are you doing that? such a waste of food... they have bagel thins now.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I love bagels, especially the outside, and I plan on stuffing it with chicken salad for lunch at work.

I'll see if any of my friends own a scale!

They have bagel thins in stores now and are 110 calories (Thomas brand). There will be no need for scooping then and they are good.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Store bought bagels, especially the pre-packaged kind, fall into the category of "bagels". Don't hold a candle to the real thing (from select sources in NYC). Alas, I'm far from there, and have to settle for their lesser brethren.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Ok that sounds really tasty...
  • ohheyy125
    Options
    I know =) I'm kind of excited. I'm going to make a batch of "light" chicken salad and keep it in the fridge so I can get a few sandwiches out of it before it goes bad. Easy Peasy
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat half the bagel?
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    That actually sounds really good. I love bagels, and at first I thought this sounded very odd, but then I thought of the outer shell stuffed with chicken salad that doesn't fall out when you eat it. I approve, as long as you don't throw away the guts.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat half the bagel?

Because she's making a sammich. A sammich isn't a sammich if the top is missing. I don't care what anyone says.
  • gypsybree
    gypsybree Posts: 218
    Options
    I don't really like all that bagal breading either...

So you can look at the pile of bread you got as compared to the bagal you have left and are going to eat... if they're about the same then its half.. if its bigger than maybe you have one third or a quarter left.. or maybe that is how much you scooped out.