Muscle Weight

Options
So of course, waahhhh, I got on the scale this week and it was 2 lbs. up. I have been doing some serious strength training 2-3 times a week for about four weeks now. Could this have anything to do with it?

Replies

• kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight - had you just completed a workout recently? Often times when I just get home from the gym I will weigh more, usually due to the muscles retaining water after a vigorous workout and drinking a ton of water during my workout.

Only way to really get an accurate reading on the scale is to wait a couple days after exercising and weigh first thing in the morning. To answer your question though, I highly doubt you gained 2 pounds in muscle in one month. Women can maybe gain 1/2 pound to a pound a month of muscle, and that is when eating at a surplus. It just isn't easy for women to gain muscle. It took me a year of hard core weight training and watching my intake to gain 3 pounds of muscle and I'm not even 100% convinced it was ALL muscle. LOL
  • bahlquist
    Options
    It could have something to do with it
    if you are eating well and training hard
    but that would be hard to gain that amount
    of muscle in that short of time.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't of gained two pounds of muscle... It is most likely water retention to repair the muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Unlikely. There are a few exceptions, but even then 2lbs of muscle in a couple of weeks isn't likely.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ngs12487
    Options
    LOL thanks! Hopefully just water weight. I haven't weighed again since Monday, but we'll see.
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    When muscles are active with daily resistance exercises they retain a bit more water, at least on me.

It's funny, if I eat bad for a few days on vacation while continuing to do my normal cardio and resistance routine I will gain a few lbs, as expected.

However, when I take off a week of resistance and go on vacation, but still do cardio, (and of course eat bad) I stay the same weight OR lose weight (but gain inches). I'm assuming my muscles deflated water weight while I gained fat as well..so the scale looks good but I don't lol.
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    And remember, anytime the scale seems to spike up unexpectedly, you would have had to consume 3,500 calories more then your body burned that day to have gained 1 pound. So unless you consumed 7,000 extra calories, you should be just fine.
  • oramos76
    oramos76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yea couple of things could cause the 2lbs up
    1.muscle does weigh more than fat so that could be one
    2. sore muscles hold more fluid which can fluctuate weight
    3. yup could just be water weight so dont sweat it

more than the scale go by the mirror, clothes, and how you FEEL, scale is good but to a certrain extent