Rnning Frequency?

Options
I've started running again (pretty much the first time in years) and am happy with my progress so far (My route is just shy of 5.5KM, and I only have to stop to walk for about 20 seconds now :) ) I'm not fast, but I get it done :p

I've been going every 2-3 days, for the last couple of weeks, but am wondering if it's okay to go on consecutive days? I don't want to overdo it and end up with an injury, but if I'm just sitting around twiddling my thumbs, I'd rather be running.

So, what do you guys think? Is it okay to run 5.5km for a few days in a row, or am I setting myself up for injury?

Thanks!

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    That might be a little too much. I've been there - running on consecutive days, and I got burnt out (never injured, thank goodness!). I know others do it and are fine, but maybe a better alternative is to find something else you enjoy for cross training?
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    How do you feel? Generally you don't want to increase mileage by more than 10% a week, but you have a little bit more leeway when you are first building. I run on consecutive days (5-6X per week), and I have never had an injury, but I definitely built up to running slowly when I first started. Cross training is a great alternative though, because running alone can actually strip some muscle from your body, and if you maintain/gain muscle you improve your metabolism.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Try it and see how you feel. If it hurts then back off for a while until you get stronger. The body will adapt to what you ask it to do as long as you don't overload it too fast. You can eventually build up to running every day or even twice a day if you do it gradually and smartly.