Iron Rich Foods?

Options
I'm looking for ideas on iron rich food aside from dark green leafy veggies and red meat - The past two times I went to donate blood my iron was border line low (almost couldn't donate) - I'm looking for ways to increase my iron through food before I think about taking supplements.

or maybe ideas on how to incorporate more dark green leafy veggies (meal ideas anyone?)

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I donate - started after I began exercising regularly. :tongue:

Whenever I plan to donate, I eat Cream of Wheat (or any wheat farina cereal, doesn't have to be that brand) for breakfast several days for about a week prior to donating - works every time.

My levels aren't low as to be unhealthy, just lower than the requirement for donating.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    most iron rich foods are liver and oysters. SPinach is also good as are nuts.

Take folic acid and vitiamin C when you take iron as it helps it absorb better.

cut back on alchohol and coffee. :)
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Are you eating much red meat? When you do eat an iron rich food (spinach, red meat, leaf greens), try to eat one high in vitamin C. The vitamin C helps your body absorb the iron more efficiently. For instance, you could have a salad with strawberries and mandarin oranges. Raisins are pretty high in iron too. Also, stay away from soft drinks. They tend to leech the iron from your body.
    Good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I agree. I read that if you don't take vitamin C, the iron isn't easily absorbed from certain greens like Spinach. In the meantime, lots of meats and protein from legumes. You could even take iron supplements.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a handy-dandy list of iron rich foods from my local blood center: http://www.cencalblood.org/IronRichFoods.htm
  • aluhall
    aluhall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In order to increase iron absorption - If you're planning on consuming dark leafy vegetables make sure the source of vitamin C is consumed at the same meal. :smile:
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Cast iron cookware