Any cancer survivors here?

whoppers1974
whoppers1974 Posts: 3
edited September 20 in Introduce Yourself
I am soon to be a 15 yr survivor of melanoma. Was just wondering if there are any other survivors on here that have decided to achieve a healthier lifestyle. Would love to hear your story of survivorship!

Replies

• Rugbychick16
    Rugbychick16 Posts: 183 Member
    I had a dark mole on the side of my forehead that I could clearly see was changing shape and getting bigger. I went to my family doctor (EX family doctor) and he just kept telling me it was fine and let me be on my way. But I knew something wasn't right, as it was getting much bigger in size. So I went to a walk in clinic and the doctor booked me in to have it removed as just a precaution. I went in in January and had it removed, and about 2 weeks later the surgeon phoned and told me it was melanoma, and that I needed to have a second surgery to make sure none of the cells were left in the first surgery. So in February I had my second surgery, by which time the few cells that had been missed has multiplied. He was able to get them all out and now I go to the cancer clinic every 6 months for the next 3 years - basically cos my family doctor is an idiot.

I'm 28 years old and going to the cancer clinic. For anyone who thinks it can't happen to them, it most defiantly can.

Melanoma was the reason I began my weight loss journey. I realized I was given a chance and this is the only body I have, so I best be taking care of it. On top of that, I have started to try new things that I was always to scared to do before.

You only live once, live EVERY DAY

I don't know if I'm a survivor, but I'm definatly a warrior!!
  • katielouhoo
    katielouhoo Posts: 676 Member
    I had a malignant melanoma 17 years ago. They were concerned it had already grown too large and deep, so they did a lymphectomy at the same time. Thankfully, it had not spread to my lymph gland. (the mole was in a place that I did not see to notice it changing and growing).

And having "missed that bullet" I should have been counting my blessings and doing what I could to take care of myself, but that didn't get me started dieting. It was when I saw the doctor in August and he let me know I was on the brink of diabetes. So, I gave myself a stern talking to and decided I had to change my life.

Coincidently for me, the last week of August I took my youngest child to college. So, this is a perfect time as an empty nester to re-invent myself. I got home and August 26 began dieting & exercising for a new life.

On Wednesday it will be 14 weeks when I do my weekly weigh-in. I admit I'm getting excited, I think I'll make 50 lbs. before my daughter gets home on Dec. 17 for her Christmas break.:bigsmile: She knows I've been dieting, but she hasn't seen me. -katie
  • You are definatly a warrior and I am sure you too will be a survivor!! Glad to hear you are on the road to a new journey! I know it is hard, but put your cancer behind you and the future will be wonderful!
  • Katie,
    Your story sounds a lot like mine, I too had a lymphectomy(mine were clear). It is a long rode, but it has certainly made me a stronger person. Cancer doesn't have to be the end ot the world. I have had 3 beautiful children since I was treated. My life has only just begun! Congrats on being a Survivor!
This discussion has been closed.