Net calories ... questions ...

Options
Good evening all! I am fairly new to MFP and although I know this question must be answered in other forums, i'm putting it out there again!

How many "net calories" should I be consuming? Take today for example - right now i am at 878 net, having eaten 1338 (had a busy day at work) and exercised 460. Should i be eating to a certain number of net calories? Or eating right up to my goal which is 1790?

Help please! :)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    Eat to Goal. 1790.

Eat until the bottom on your Food Diary says "0".

Net is a math term.
  • s50s
    s50s Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    What does that net number mean?
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    What does that net number mean?

It means what is left after deductions are taken. So if you eat 1800 then exercise 400, you are only Netting 1400 calories.
  • s50s
    Options
    Do most people eat all their exercise calories?
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight, around 1,000 net calories per day.

That would mean you are cutting out 7,000 calories per week and so losing 2 lbs per week. It all depends on your own weight and height though, so work out your BMR.
  • s50s
    Options
    My BMR is 1514, and usually add 275 workout calories.
  • s50s
    Options
    Today my net was 1388. Does that mean I ate to much or I need to exercise more?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Depending on your weight, around 1,000 net calories per day.

That would mean you are cutting out 7,000 calories per week and so losing 2 lbs per week. It all depends on your own weight and height though, so work out your BMR.

There are other factors as well, mainly your activity level. It's better to work out your TDEE through a site like: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and eat about 20% less than that.
  • s50s
    Options
    I did this and it said my TDEE was 2357, Daily calorie based on 20% loss was 1885. Am I suppose to eat 1885, because thats alot. I have been1300-1500.
  • Hummingbird82
    Hummingbird82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    REad the links in TOPIC: LINKS in MFP you want to read again (and again)
    This will answer a lot of your questions regarding NET Calories, BMR, etc and are filled with useful information. Plus they are awesome even when you have been here a long time to brush up on I know I do!
    Happy journey! :bigsmile:
  • no1paralegal
    no1paralegal Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I try to eat at my goal, to keep losing weight. When I exercise my goal seems to go up but I still try not to eat those additional calories.