What's YOUR story?

Options
Hi I'm new! isn't this a great website? I wanted to know who uses this and what your stories are.
I'll start with the introductions. I'm in university and 220lbs with a long way to go but I was 240lbs 2 years ago so I'm making progress but its kinda hard in college to chose right. It was easier to be overweight in my old city but in the new one I'm in for university, all the students here are model thin. No joke!
With really pretty girls here, i became self-conscious and started eating right and working out a lot more often. Of course it's hard with so much work to not eat instant and fast foods since I can't cook but progress is there!

OKAY that's basically my story I want to hear yours! Doesn't have to be as long or short. Just introduce yourselves.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new! isn't this a great website? I wanted to know who uses this and what your stories are.
    I'll start with the introductions. I'm in university and 220lbs with a long way to go but I was 240lbs 2 years ago so I'm making progress but its kinda hard in college to chose right. It was easier to be overweight in my old city but in the new one I'm in for university, all the students here are model thin. No joke!
    With really pretty girls here, i became self-conscious and started eating right and working out a lot more often. Of course it's hard with so much work to not eat instant and fast foods since I can't cook but progress is there!

OKAY that's basically my story I want to hear yours! Doesn't have to be as long or short. Just introduce yourselves.:flowerforyou:

In my case, I've been heavy my whole life, which was extra awful, considering I have a skinny twin sister! All while I was growing up, I don't know how many times I heard stuff like "well you've got the prettier face"!! :grumble: :cry:
    I tried tons of "diets" over the years, even tried hypnosis, TWICE, but, nothing really worked until I came here to MFP! :happy:
    I can't say enough good about MFP and all it's wonderfully supportive members! :love:
    It took me 8 months to lose the 45 pounds I wanted to lose, and in the year since, I've managed to pretty much stay around the same. I'd like to lose a few more, but, it doesn't seem to be in the cards. I'm just thrilled to be where I'm at, it's totally changed my attitude about life, as well as made me a much healthier person! :happy:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Since you're asking, I'd be happy to share my story!

I have been overweight since at least puberty. My family is known for their overweight women (my sister, grandmothers, aunts, but my cousins didn't get this gene apparently). However, I have learned it is not about my genes but how you eat. I have been following my mother's footsteps in her eating habits. In college I gained about 15 - 20 lbs (up to my highest weight of 198). It wasn't until I graduated college (in May 2009) that I had the motivation and realization that I don't have to be overweight. Everything else in my life was spinning out of control (my boyfriend broke up with me because he didn't want to have a long distance relationship, I was moving far away from all my friends because I couldn't get a job, I wasn't going to graduate school immediately.. things were not going to plan), so the only thing I could control was my eating and exercise habits. Well, I started to control them to get some grasp on something and have lost 18.5lbs so far (from my SW of 193) and officially can fit back into my prom dress. I am aiming to finally get down to a healthy weight and show my family that it's not genes that is causing our weight problem, it's our eating habits.
    :flowerforyou: