Does Water Intake read Fluid Intake?

Options
Do green teas and diet cokes count in the water intake slot?

Replies

• pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    This is always a fun thread to watch....
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    No, as they both contain caffeine.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I agree that they count. The amount of caffeine in them is not enough to negate the amount of fluid you put into your body by drinking them. They aren't the ideal way but they are still valid fluid sources.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    it all counts.

"water" does not mean "pure unadulterated spring water"

if I dunk a tea bag in water, it is still water.

if I put crystal light into water, does that negate it's wetness?

The caffeine is negligible and does not have enough of a diuretic effect to negate the wetness either, so don't go there.

Coffee counts as water too! :drinker:
    Drink up!
  • indecisive_diva
    Options
    I would hope it all counts (the diet drinks, teas with no sugar or artificial sweetner instead, etc.). I am not one to just sit around and sip on something all day, especially plain water. I know doctors say 8oz of water 8x/day is ideal but I never get close to that. Unless I am really working out hard (which I ashamed to admit doesn't happen that often) or am just extremely thirst for whatever reason, I only drink when I am eating. I am by no means a medical expert, but I would think since I have always been this way, that this is a "normal" range for my fluid intake...??
  • mrseelmerfudd
    mrseelmerfudd Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    some people count them, some dont... i do!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    it all counts.

"water" does not mean "pure unadulterated spring water"

if I dunk a tea bag in water, it is still water.

if I put crystal light into water, does that negate it's wetness?

The caffeine is negligible and does not have enough of a diuretic effect to negate the wetness either, so don't go there.

Coffee counts as water too! :drinker:
    Drink up!

This.

I always love the caffeine dehydrates because it's a diuretic argument. Celery and lettuce are diuretics also, I sure hope people make sure to drink extra water every time they eat salad, cuz that lettuce will certainly dehydrate you...
  • AmmyP
    AmmyP Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'll edit my own reply...According to my physician that is...caffeine can't be counted toward my water intake...you can all count what ever you want to...I'll stick with water.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What about that 5th of vodka I just had for breakfast?
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    I'll edit my own reply...According to my physician that is...caffeine can't be counted toward my water intake...you can all count what ever you want to...I'll stick with water.

Your physician is wrong on this account. Just because you add a caffeine or aspartame to a drink doesn't mean the water will magically disappear when it enters your body.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Your physician is wrong on this account. Just because you add a caffeine or aspartame to a drink doesn't mean the water will magically disappear when it enters your body.

But caffeine dehydrates, doesn't it? I never count my coffee as part of my fluid intake for that reason. I only have one or two cups a day anyway...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

But caffeine dehydrates, doesn't it? I never count my coffee as part of my fluid intake for that reason. I only have one or two cups a day anyway...

Have you read this thread? Caffeine doesn't dehydrate, it's a diuretic. Not the same thing at all. Fruits and vegetables are diuretics also, do they dehydrate you? No. A diuretic gets rid of EXCESS water, aka bloat.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options

It's a very mild diuretic therefore you will pee a tad more than normal but not enough to negate all the water associated with the caffeine. Think about the people who just drink coffee all day and no other drinks, they would be dead if it dehydrated them.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

It's a very mild diuretic therefore you will pee a tad more than normal but not enough to negate all the water associated with the caffeine. Think about the people who just drink coffee all day and no other drinks, they would be dead if it dehydrated them.

lol right!
    I would have been dead years ago. I used to drink NOTHING but iced coffees all day a few years ago...I'm still here!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    What about that 5th of vodka I just had for breakfast?

:laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I count it separately, especially if it contains significant caffeine. If I add a water enhancer (stevia, crystal light, etc I count that as water, but it does not hurt to drink a little extra water.

LOL I'm not one to sit around and sip water either. But I chug down huge glasses throughout the day when I have time and when you do that you sort of crave it more. I find it wards off headaches and overall makes me feel better, but I can only do this when I am near a restroom. Also if you want to look leaner for a pool party or whatever if you drink a lot for a few days before and then just drink less (within healthy reason) the day of the party, you will be smokin. :) It makes you shed water and bloat.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Have you read this thread? Caffeine doesn't dehydrate, it's a diuretic. Not the same thing at all. Fruits and vegetables are diuretics also, do they dehydrate you? No. A diuretic gets rid of EXCESS water, aka bloat.

Yes I've read the thread. No need to be snarky and rude. I misused the word "dehydrate" versus "diuretic." A million apologies.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options
    Good thing I like to drink plain old water all day long. And vodka, of course.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    YES

</thread>