Macro recommendations please

Options
Hello,
Hope someone more knowledgeable can help please, I've left my Macros at the level MFP set them at, initially I found it hard to meet them at all particularly protein I've often heard it said that the protein is too low so what should it be?
I'm Vegetarian and my macros are currently

1,330 calories

179 carbs

43 fat

49 protein

I'm not doing any major strength training etc just running 2-5k 1-2 x per week and 30DS daily at the moment.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You should definitely up your protein, maybe supplement it with a protein shake or something.

I opt for 1 gram per lb of body weight....
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I personally don't follow my macros too closely. A good plan for people who are like me and don't plan your meals by them is to just focus on getting a lot of protein. I try to eat one protein source per meal. The only meat I eat is chicken and seafood, but they are expensive and I only eat them about 3x a week.

The protein sources that I try to eat a lot are eggs, cheese, peanut butter, tofu. Oh yeah, nuts and avocado are both good sources of protein and healthy fats. You get the hang of what has a good protein count once you start logging for a while

I just eat what seems to be good choices and look at my macros later. The most important thing is to try to get lots and lots of protein, while still eating your fruits/veggies of course =]
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm vege too and have mine set to 40% carbs, 35% fat and 25% protein. Personally I have no problem hitting 90g + of protein with a protein shake thrown in if needed :smile:
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For women who don't do much exercise it's recommended to eat about 0.8g per kg (or 0.4 per pound), and about 1.5 g per kg if you are exercising (1g - 1.5 g per lb)

http://www.livestrong.com/article/354510-normal-suggested-amount-of-fat-protein-intake-for-women/

You can use this calculator to determine your protein needs macro. The recommendations provided by the site are a tad low for individuals that work out.

http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/protein.asp
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip and the calculator, it's recommended 76g which I'm almost but not quite meeting daily so I'll work on bringing it up it a little to meet that as a minimum. Thanks for the help.