Calf Cramps

Options
2»

Replies

• katweeks63
    Options
    I have had severe leg cramps since I was a child. Sometimes they are so severe that I wake up screaming, or can't walk. I tried pretty much all of the things listed in the responses here, and more, but nothing made them go totally away. I have been taking a regiment of vitamins and minerals for several years now, but recently increased my magnesium supplement, not for the cramps but to help go #2, but my cramps have pretty much disappeared. So... I think that a combination of increase of water consumption and keeping my body filled with the proper vitamins, and adding magnesium have worked for me.
    Also, potasium is important, but by it's self is not a cure.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    When I get muscle cramps I look at 3 things:
    1. hydration
    2. potassium
    3. calcium

One of them is always deficient
  • darleneprashar
    Options
    Magnesium supplements are good for calf cramps.
  • MetamorphosisMe
    MetamorphosisMe Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Like mustard?? Football trainers and coaches around here keep it on stand by during games for the players who get leg cramps. Maybe try that? By spoon or on bread.

Here is an article, so you don't think I've lost my mind :wink: Although there are tons of articles on this topic.

http://www.coreperformance.com/daily/nutrition/mustard-a-cure-for-cramps.html
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Same thing here, Terror! I've checked and done everything the other posters have suggested and it helped, but I also discovered that sleeping with my legs elevated on a high cushion has done wonders. It's actually very comfy too.

HATE those foot cramps where the toes separate! It would be funny to look at if it weren't so danged painful!
  • katweeks63
    Options
    I have had severe leg cramps since I was a child. Sometimes they are so severe that I wake up screaming, or can't walk. I tried pretty much all of the things listed in the responses here, and more, but nothing made them go totally away. I have been taking a regiment of vitamins and minerals for several years now, but recently increased my magnesium supplement, not for the cramps but to help go #2, but my cramps have pretty much disappeared. So... I think that a combination of increase of water consumption and keeping my body filled with the proper vitamins, and adding magnesium have worked for me.
    Also, potasium is important, but by it's self is not a cure.

Found this info on WebMD that you might like to read. http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-998-MAGNESIUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=998&activeIngredientName=MAGNESIUM&source=2&tabno=3
  • katweeks63
    Options
    Same thing here, Terror! I've checked and done everything the other posters have suggested and it helped, but I also discovered that sleeping with my legs elevated on a high cushion has done wonders. It's actually very comfy too.

HATE those foot cramps where the toes separate! It would be funny to look at if it weren't so danged painful!

Yes, I hate those too. I'll be in the store shopping and my toes will pull up and I will have to sit on the floor, take off my shoes and pull/push my toes back into place and hold them until it goes away. That has not been much of an issue since I have started taking the magnsium. Check out what WebMD has to say about it... http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-998-MAGNESIUM.aspx?activeIngredientId=998&activeIngredientName=MAGNESIUM&source=2&tabno=3