Scared to step on the scales

Options
As this is my first week and I hate dieting, I am scared to do the weekly weigh in. I have never been one to watch what I eat but due to long term injury I have seen my weight creep up over the past year.

What is the first week like for folk on MFP? Are you excited or dread going on? Also when I exercise it always adds my bonus calories, do people consume these extra calories or stick to the original calorie intake? I usually go over my original intake but haven't gone over the bonus calories. Will this just slow down my weight loss drastically?

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Regards

Shoneybabes

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's only a scale, don't be afraid. If it gives you good news, be happy. If not, adjust what you're doing.

Good luck!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    If you have been honest with yourself on the food logging - logging everything, putting in the right amounts, being a little conservative, etc. - and exercise amounts, then you will be fine. If those two things are good, the only thing left that can trick you is sodium intake.

On a side note, this is why I think people that say you should only weigh weekly are giving bad advice. A week is not really long enough to consistently see a weight loss because the weight you lose in a week can be hidden by other factors. However, a week IS long enough to get people's anxiety up so they feel like they failed if the scale doesn't move. My advice, weigh daily, monthly, or not at all and use a tape.

Weighing daily means you get a lot of data that you can average and see how your weight fluctuates. It is so often that you lose the scale anxiety and it is no big deal if you go up a pound on day. Monthly is long enough that you should definitely be able to see some change, although water weight and other variables will still mess up your accuracy. A tape measure or clothes fit works well also, but is a longer term measurement.

If you are already stressing after 1 week, don't weigh weekly.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    There are honestly some weeks I just can't bring myself to stand on the scale, so I don't. I buckle down pay attention to what I am eating and step on the scale when I am ready. I don't want it to discourage me if I just don't think I can handle it. If I had a bad week, I know I had a bad week. I don't need the scale to tell me. As far as calories for exercise, I try not to eat them all back. Do I eat some of them sometimes? Yes, but most of the time I try not to. I was just reading a thread that addresses how much MFP over estimates calories burned. It is fine to eat some of them but try to stick to about half was everyone's advice. Good luck and stick with it. You can do this!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Put your scale in the closet and just use MFP. Be honest when logging and careful when measuring.

Weigh yourself once before putting the scale away. And use a tape measure for measurements, and "before" pictures.
  • jrwatson87
    Options
    The first week is always the biggest loss!! You will be happy
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be thinking of it as a diet... It's a lifestyle change that should make you healtheir, fitter and as a byproduct of that, thinner!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was only afraid when I got on the scale to find out what I weighed BEFORE I started. After that, I was looking forward to seeing the progress.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It's only a scale and it's only a number. Your first week may be a big loss or it may not. It really depends on how well you did on staying on your program. Use each weigh in as a lesson on what you may or may not need to adjust for the next week. Maybe you know you cheated too much and you see you didn't really lose very much; you know you could do better. Or maybe you know you were right there on track with the food, but you didn't do any exercise so you decide to add 3 days of exercise into your week. Use it as a tool; don't see it as the end of all. Remember this is a life style change, not a temporary change.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Just think of the first weigh in as a benchmark. It doesn't matter what you weigh right now, but most people need a start place to visualize progress. Use the scale as motivation, not as a punishment.
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You have to stop thinking its a diet..that implies that you will eventually stop. You have to see it as making small changes to they way you are living...Eating whole wheat instead of white bread..drinking water instead of soda..eating almonds instead of candy..its these steps that will help with your journey.

I would also do measurements rather than rely on the scale. Back in December I reached my goal weight of 135 at a size 8. I have since gained 8 pounds back..but am down to a size 6...so dont rely 100% on that scale.

Trust me..the more you do this..the easier it becomes...those choices become second nature. You wont freak out if you go over in calories..you wont freak out the next morning..knowing the weight gain was probably sodium or carb bloat. You have to allow yourself life moments (weddings, birthdays, anniversaries)..and you will fare much better...
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It's only a scale, don't be afraid. If it gives you good news, be happy. If not, adjust what you're doing.

Good luck!

This definitely!
  • traveller888
    traveller888 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with a lot of the people here:
    There's some controversy on whether to eat exercise calories or not. If you count your lifestyle as active (work on your feet, walk a lot, lift things, etc.), I would just eat the "extra" exercise, like going to the gym or a workout. But I put my lifestyle as sedentary and then count going for a walk, bike ride, workout, etc. as extra and eat those back. It works for me!

Also, don't be afraid of the scale...it's just a number. I got to my goal weight, but still look at that number! Oy! But in the end it's better to know than not to know so you can see where you are going!

And this is lifestyle change..."diets" sound bad, and temporary. This is for you and for you feeling better! Take small steps to working on your goal!
  • DewlyNoted
    Options
    It's a starting place. Seeing a high number should only motivate you to make positive changes. Don't let it define you.

Keeping track of what you're eating and exercising is the most important thing. There are mixed views on eating back exercise cals. If you're hungry, go for it. I usually eat back most of mine and still lose.
  • EricaCarmack
    Options
    i feel your pain. i am only 5'2 and have a very large frame. also muscular under all of this fat!
    when i was younger i had an eating disorder and the smallest i could ever get to was 139 and despite being sickly looking, i was still not in my weight range for someone so short!
    it scared me from scales~ and honestly i dont weigh myself. dont own a scale.. too scared to!
    but as long as you feel good- like you are losing~ try not to pay attention to a number. especially if you are building muscle mass.
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be thinking of it as a diet... It's a lifestyle change that should make you healtheir, fitter and as a byproduct of that, thinner!

I would say as a vegan (who cooks all her own meals) that I do eat healthy. It is about portion control and eating at the correct times. I love food and will eat more when am not hungry or am bored. I don't really see it as a diet but a more constrictive lifestyle. :S I think the more I want to control my food intake the more I want to go and binge and overeat and it is possible to gain weight eating good food! :)
  • shoneybabes
    Options
    Thanks for all your feedback.

I think I need to change my mindset

1- diet is a negative short term word. Stop using it and relearn my eating habits.
    2- Eating calories is you have earned is not a bad thing
    3- scales are a tool, don't fear it. ( i don't actually own one and not sure if I should)
    4- and last but not least enjoy the change once it starts.

Another question is that do you notice the change at the start physically? I might just be impatient but when I lost the weight a few yrs ago I never saw the weight loss, I always thought I was still big. It was only when I put some of the weight back on that I realised how skinny I was!
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The numbers on the scale used to freak me out...not so much now. I have come to terms with the fact that it is only a number. I weigh once a week and dont get too bent if I didnt lose. Take your measurements and keep track of that. You will see a difference in the shape and mass of your body often when the scale does not show a difference. I tend to lose actual weight in spurts. I lose nothing for a week or two....then drop a few pounds quickly...then nothing...and so on. But, my clothes are consistently getting bigger and I feel SO much better. Thats the most important thing! Dont become a slave to the scale!

Congrats on all your hard work! It will pay off :flowerforyou:
  • shoneybabes
    Options
    I did it! lost 1.2kg WOOT! Not so scary now!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    congrats! Is that for 1 week? if so, that is a lot and might include some water weight.
  • shoneybabes
    Options
    thanks, 10days in,probably is a bit of water but I have done a lot of exercise this week. As long as I keep it up I can be progressive :)