150g of protein / day without supplements - possible??

Options
Koldnomore
Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here manages to eat a lot of protein daily without having to resort to bars/shakes or other supplements? I tend towards 'normal' foods: oatmeal, eggs, high protein bread, meats but I just can't seem to get over about 80g without having to have a shake or something and hitting my 150 is impossible without giving up a meal. Given that I have only about 1700 calories /day I hate wasting them on a sip of milk with 2 scoops of powder.

Diary is open if anyone has any input I'd happily take it.

Replies

• amateurdude
    amateurdude Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Isn't there somewhere between 20-30g of protein in 100g of chicken alone? 150 Seems like it would be easy to get in 1700 calories.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone here manages to eat a lot of protein daily without having to resort to bars/shakes or other supplements? I tend towards 'normal' foods: oatmeal, eggs, high protein bread, meats but I just can't seem to get over about 80g without having to have a shake or something and hitting my 150 is impossible without giving up a meal. Given that I have only about 1700 calories /day I hate wasting them on a sip of milk with 2 scoops of powder.

Diary is open if anyone has any input I'd happily take it.

Eat bigger portions of lean proteins
  • fat214
    fat214 Posts: 109
    Options
    Bump
  • Monwilli
    Monwilli Posts: 24
    Options
    If you're not afraid of pork, a serving of an extra lean pork tenderloin has about 24g and it's only 130 calories. So that's definitely something you could try.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Isn't there somewhere between 20-30g of protein in 100g of chicken alone? 150 Seems like it would be easy to get in 1700 calories.

Sure if I really wanted to eat chicken 5 times a day maybe :( I have meat for 2 meals usually - dinner and lunch. I don't have time to cook breakfast at 4:30am (which is when I have to wake up) so normally I make oatmeal at work. It's portable but no protein, I suppose I could eat beef jerky for breakfast except that I can't have that much sodium and 1 pack would kill me for the day not to mention its 9$ for a little pouch.

Lunch is usually some leftover meat from the night before with salad etc. I have Greek yogurt as a snack and sometimes a hard boiled egg (assuming I was able to make some the night before)

Dinner is meat again..

I guess I just have to eat more meat when I get it but it's really hard to eat THAT much for me so I was looking for alternatives to where I can have more protein during the day.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I often meet or exceed my goal of 150g protein without taking any supplements. Check out my diary (not the last few days though ice been broke lol)
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Sure if I really wanted to eat chicken 5 times a day maybe :( I have meat for 2 meals usually - dinner and lunch. I don't have time to cook breakfast at 4:30am (which is when I have to wake up) so normally I make oatmeal at work. It's portable but no protein, I suppose I could eat beef jerky for breakfast except that I can't have that much sodium and 1 pack would kill me for the day not to mention its 9$ for a little pouch.

Lunch is usually some leftover meat from the night before with salad etc. I have Greek yogurt as a snack and sometimes a hard boiled egg (assuming I was able to make some the night before)

Dinner is meat again..

I guess I just have to eat more meat when I get it but it's really hard to eat THAT much for me so I was looking for alternatives to where I can have more protein during the day.

Take some hard boiled eggs for breakfast? Also eat other foods that have protein in it as well, every little bit counts. For instance my bread has 6g for two slices. put a few eggs in between some toasted bread with a little pepper and hot sauce and a slice of deli ham.
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I can get to about 200 grams with real food. More than that if I wanted to eat like that while driving.

I typically eat about 6 eggs in the morning
    2 cans of chicken breast for a morning and afternoon meal
    a serving of lean beef, turkey, chicken at lunch (4 oz)
    a serving or lean beef, pork, chicken or fish at dinner (4/6oz)
    I could have a can of chicken, tuna or something like that for my evening meal but I usually do a 1/2 cup of greek yogurt with a scoop of protein and peanut butter cause its like dessert

on top of that because I eat post workout I have a protein shake in the car driving home.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    110 calories, 2.5 grams of fat and 23 grams of protein in 4 ounces of chicken.

So if you were to eat 3 lbs of chicken, you'd have 1320 calories, 30 grams of fat, and 276 grams of protein, with 400 leftover for veggies.

I like chicken.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lots of meat. Chicken in the breakfast casserole, etc. Chobani and/or a can of low sodium tuna for my afternoon snack. It can get me really close, but to get to 150 I supplement on workout days. Then again, my base is 1,500 cals. You have more wiggle room than I do. The protein shake takes me up to over 1,700 cals.

I say if you're lifting (and I don't know if you are) and you're having trouble nailing 150g, supplementing is better than falling short.

EDIT: Your oatmeal only breakfast is what's killing you. On the weekends I'll make my breakfast casseroles. VERY protein heavy (30+g per serving) and very portable. And delicious. Because they're covered in cheese. I love cheese.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I do use some powders, but I get more than 150g of protein/day in addition to the supplements that doesn't come from powder.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Tilapia 4oz, 23g protein
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Dinner is meat again..

Just read this, if you're having trouble with conveinence why not take supplements? A lot of people mix protein powder in with oatmeal.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    Hardboil eggs and bring that to work for your breakfast.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Easily. By eating more animals.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Easy to get that much protein, but you can't do it without eating lean meats or low-fat dairy.

Plain, fat-free Greek yogurt (8oz = 133 cals, 24 g protein)
    Chicken breast (4oz = 100 cals, 24 g protein)
    Egg whites (4 egg whites = 69 cals, 14 g protein)
    Lean beef or pork (8 oz lean stew beef, for example = 311 cals, 41 g protein)
    Fish, fish & more fish.

If you must, go for low-sugar protein bars (usually 200 cals or under, 20 g protein)
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to cook breakfast every morning either, so I prepare it ahead of time. You can make low-carb, high protein pancakes with oatmeal, white wheat flour, and protein powder in the batter. I make mine 4 dozen at a time and freeze them to re-heat every morning. I also eat two egg whites with turkey sausage crumbles... fry up 5 of these on Sunday night and re-heat for 30 seconds each morning.
  • ktied
    ktied Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    any sort of fish. i like tilapia, hake and barramundi cooked with some garlic and lemon juice. delicious. and around 120 cals for 4 oz
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    It is possible and easy, once you know what to eat.
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    just bumping for ideas...need to bump my protein also.