How do you get enough protein in your diet?

Options

Replies

• wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Beans

Dairy

Nuts
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My favourite protein is chicken. Followed closely by Shrimps and Tofu.

I plan out my day in advance, so I get a chunk of protein at each major meal.

However, when I first started "eat more to weigh less" and getting out of my ED patterns, I used whey powder mixed with skim milk for breakfast.

Try whey powder in a water bottle, protein bars, and nuts. Chicken is awesome for lean protein, and same with Tuna and Shrimp. Cubes of cheese for snacks, or add cheese to your meals.
  • MFPBONNIE
    MFPBONNIE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I can learn something from this post, I'm usually WAY over in protein without being way over in calories. Dont know the harm it can do, if it can, but I feel funny about it and maybe I should cut down.
  • heddylyn
    heddylyn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, edamame, protein shakes, Clif Builder's Bars (20g per bar!), tuna
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Turkey, White Fish, Salmon, Shrimp, Pork, Beef, Greek Yogurt, Eggs, Egg Whites, Whey Protein Powder ...

Try Jamie Eason's turkey muffins (google for recipe) for a quick on the go protein snack. they taste like mini meatloaves.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I can learn something from this post, I'm usually WAY over in protein without being way over in calories. Dont know the harm it can do, if it can, but I feel funny about it and maybe I should cut down.

Depends on what your macros are set at. If MFP has set them for you, being over on your protein is probably fine. They only set it at 15%, I have mine at 25% and I get pretty close most days.

I eat:

Cottage Cheese
    Greek Yogurt
    Milk
    Cheese
    Chicken (A LOT)
    Eggs
    Some red meat
    Tuna
    Black beans

For example
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend cottage cheese, also. 12g protein for 1/2 a cup, throw in some berries and sprinkle with cinnamon and it's a great snack. Protein shakes are great also (along with all the lean meats that have already been mentioned). Good luck!
  • taylorb318
    Options
    chicken is usually my go-to. It is pretty lean and has lots of protein. Other than that, beans and eggs. I want to start drinking protein shakes but haven't chocked up the strength to do it yet. LOL I'm scared of them tasting chalky....

Whey protein shakes are definitely a good option! Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey protein powder is my favorite brand so far. It doesn't taste chalky and it mixes well with water, almond milk, coconut milk, etc....
    Optimum Whey is also one of the lowest calorie/carb/sugar count per serving.
    In my opinion, the two best flavors are Double Rich Chocolate and Cookies N' Cream :)

Bodybuilding.com has some of the best prices and is where I buy ALL of my training stacks: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't get enough myself, but I aim to by including it in every meal and snack:
    peanut butter, or tree nut butter (I'm allergic to tree nuts but people love almond butter)
    lowfat string cheese! so convenient
    other small lowfat 1 oz. cheese snacks--ready, on the go, and fit in a dorm fridge. Or learn what 1 oz looks like and steal some from the cafeteria!
    greek yogurt, and regular yogurt as well as cottage cheese and occasional cream cheese.
    Canned tuna, salmon, or chicken
    sliced turkey or chicken breast (deli meat)
    chicken
    I'm allergic to eggs, but if I weren't I'd be eating at least 3 egg whites a day plus a yolk probably. Oh how I miss you, Egg.
    Nuts and Seeds! Like i said, i'm allergic to nuts, so I'm a big seed fan.
    Tofu and soy snacks (I'm allergic there as well, but most protein and supplement bars and drinks are full of the stuff)
    beans: lentils are super easy, chick peas are too!
    occasional lean roast beef or pork--gotta mix up the textures and flavors.
    veggies relatively high in protein: avocado, artichoke, cauliflower, asparagus, brussel sprouts, and watercress (randomly!)
    and then, when I'm eating out: Fish and beef

a lot of people supplement. I'm considering this, but, with the soy allergy and my aversion to anything fake but need for all things convenient, I haven't found a ready made supplement that works. It sounds like something you should try immediately though, because it might take some practice and time to get used to eating more, though that is something you need to do.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is possible...but many institutions will do special meals for special dietary needs.
    Perhaps your Dr. can write something you can take to the cafeteria people and make better arrangements?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Eggs, fish, and beef are my go-tos. However, it sounds like that may not work for you given your meal plan issue. Good luck working through/around that.
  • MichaelWms
    MichaelWms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I go to the grocery store and get the cans of chicken. They have about 22 grams in a can and it is only about 120 calories. For lunch I usually have two cans and a little bit of mayo. That is only 240 calories and 44 grams of protein! Plus they taste great!

Awesome! I never tried the canned chicken, but the tuna is super cheap. It's basically protein in a can.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Please either start slowly increasing your overall intake right away and/or seek help. Please.
  • MichaelWms
    MichaelWms Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From a quick glance at your diary, you often eat below 1000 calories a day.You need to increase that especially if you are running. Have you tried protein bars?

Women should not consume fewer than 1,200 calories, reports the National Institutes of Health. In some cases, women may be able to consume between 500 to 800 calories on special low-calorie diets. However, these diets should be medically supervised.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/306358-minimum-calories-per-day-for-women/#ixzz24sQ8gDxS
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Is milk usually available in the cafeteria? You might try drinking more milk if you can, it has good carbs and a cup has around 12 gms of protein.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    doesn't look like not getting enough protein is your main problem. you're not eating enough, PERIOD.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    find a protein source you love. for me its turkey and fish, i eat them almost daily. i'm finally coming around to liking chicken but id prefer salmon over chicken any day. i also supplement about 35 grams a day with these awesome "eat good look great" protein bars i found at target and a post-workout 100 cal "Muscle Milk" protein shake. other than that i try to focus on eating more protein than carbs throughout the day and usually wont eat anything that isnt a good source of the stuff since my proportions i've set for myself are so high. i hope i helped a little bit!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shake - just get the cheap stuff no need to pay £50 for something that will do you basically the same.
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, beans, lean meats such as chicken or turkey, fish/seafood, tofu (but not in excess), protein powders (I like Vcore from Complete Nutrition & Optimum Nutrition Gold), low fat dairy but I wouldn't advise depending on dairy as milk has lactose which is a sugar. Google lean protein foods and you can find lots of options. :flowerforyou: Good luck & eat more it's good for you!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a fridge where you can keep a few things? If so, I'd try to keep things like pre-cooked chicken breast (cook it yourself ahead of time in batches or you can get some pre-cooked from the grocery) and string cheeses in there. Also, pouches of tuna are great. They're pre-portioned and you don't need a can opener. Sometimes I'll eat one straight out of the bag as a snack. You could also supplement it with a little cheese and crackers.

Canned chicken is pretty good, too. Packages of nuts, protein bars, etc.

Good luck!