Exercising around Health Conditions

Options
First off, it's really encouraging to see so many people succeed in losing weight and keeping it off--kudos!

It looks like the most popular workouts among the ladies are bootcamps, Jillian's 30day burn, gym/cardio, etc. I've read many success stories where gals mention a combination of these programs. I'm curious if there are other, lower-impact and lower-stress workouts that have been useful.

I have CFICS (aka Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and am in my second year of remission from ovarian cancer. My doctors gave me the green light to excercise as much as I want, but then they hit me with a huge list of limitations that make conventional workouts (like bootcamps or aerobics) out of the question. I want to excercise and like a lot of variety, so I'm hoping you guys might have some creative ideas for me!

My limitations:
- heartrate cannot exceed 170, and is best at 165 or under
- no deviation from upright posture (can stand, sit or lay down; no upside down yoga positions)
- little or no external temperature varriance (no saunas, no playing in the snow :grumble: )
- minimal abdominal strain (4 sets of 10 sit ups or equivalent)
- low impact to bones and joints (no running, no jumping, no falling)
- no weight lifting/hauling over 15lbs (seriously. grocery bags and backpacks are off limits)
- limit exercise to 2 hours or less per session

What I'm doing now:
- 30 minute dog walking 4-6 times a week
- 60 minute ballroom dance classes 3 times a week (Salsa, Bachata and Tango)
- 60 minute Ji Kun Do (mixed martial arts) class once a week starting in January

I live in New York City, so I have access to some wacky things (like sauna pilates and parkour), but lack some basics (like hiking trails or a backyard). I really enjoy new things and am willing to try whatever you've got to change things up and keep myself challenged and motivated. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• wesw
    wesw Posts: 5
    Options
    Swimming.
    Water aerobics.
    Bike riding (a variety of positions you can choose from: bent over/traditional posture to upright to reclining (recumbent)).
    Elliptical (little to no impact).