Heart Rate Monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex IronMan which I love and have had for a month or so now. I'm going to get a Polar FT4 or Garmin after I either met my goal weight or run a half marathon (whichever happens first). I wasn't sure about the chest strap either but I honestly don't feel it while I'm running-I wouldn't recommend getting one without a strap cause the reading won't be as true. A HRM is a lot better for your calories than anything else since it takes into account you and your heart rate and not just numbers and your sex. Good luck!
  • ppshaffer
    ppshaffer Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar Heart Rate Monitor. MFP excercises are designed for the person who put it in the database. I come nowhere near the numbers they have and it's great because it makes me want to work out more to burn more.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have the Sportline Duo for women. Its works great and seems accurate. I agree with buying one with the chest strap. You wont get an accurate calorie reading with just a wrist unit.
  • Eclaire32
    Options
    I have had the Polar FT4 and love it. I like that it not only gives me the HR but the estimated calories burned for my workouts. No matter whether I am on the eliptical, doing an Aqua fit class or strength training I can see my kcal estimate to put into the MFP exercise section. I highly recommend this.
  • jniece55
    jniece55 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I just got mine in, do you all set yours up to go by bpm or by percentage?? I got the FT4, will it sync with my computer?
  • jniece55
    Options
    Also, will I know if my heart rate is too high? Like does it show that it is too high? Or do I need to research this?
  • jniece55
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also, will I know if my heart rate is too high? Like does it show that it is too high? Or do I need to research this?

I don't believe it will sync with computer, unless it works with their accessory that does that.

You set the upper zone alarm to decide if too high for what you are trying to accomplish.
    Like the day after weight lifting, maybe you don't want to go over 60% of HRmax, so you can set alarm there.

But first you gotta set the HRmax stat in your personal stats. It's defaulting to 220-age, which for women, the majority fall 10bpm outside that calculation. You could be more though. You could have a Honda heart, or diesel heart (faster or slower than avg.)

And HRmax greatly effects decent estimate of calorie burn. So you gotta have it as best as you can get it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max
  • jniece55
    Options
    I got mine in and really like it. So far it seems in line with what MFP says for calories. However I do notice I'm not in my zone for a long period of time. Like i'm in my zone for 27 mins out of 50. Is that normal? I'm just trying to figure out what "in the zone" really is doing for me.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I got mine in and really like it. So far it seems in line with what MFP says for calories. However I do notice I'm not in my zone for a long period of time. Like i'm in my zone for 27 mins out of 50. Is that normal? I'm just trying to figure out what "in the zone" really is doing for me.

Polar on the cheaper models has 2 zones, Fat-burning and Fitness - both poor term choices. And you can't select the line that separates them, Polar adjusts it depending on how much time you spend in upper or lower zones. So you will see that line change. Has nothing to do with getting fit, but time spent.

You get aerobically fit for endurance activity in the fat-burning zone, and you burn just as much fat during the activity if not more afterwards in the Fitness zone.

Basically warm-up in lower zone 5-10 min, workout in upper zone, cool-down in lower zone 5-10 min
    Cardio the day after weight lifting, using the same muscles - use lower zone only.
  • nadinab
    nadinab Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 & love it! Very simple to use and super comfortable! I got mine for about $100 (incl postage) from the states as its a lot more expensive here in Aus. ;-)