Binge eating. 2 steps foward; 1 step back

Options
I keep on binging, it sort of goes like this:

3-5 great days, eating within calories + exercising well
then 1-2 bad days of binging and skipping workouts, being lazy.

I know if I keep having these binges I will just stay at the same weight.

I'm trying to stop, it just seems hard. Any one else struggle with binge eating?

I think mine is a combination of emotional eating (stress, bored, tired, sad, any emotion I get overwhelmed with or don't want to feel)
and restricting calories.

Anyone relate ? Has anyone overcame binging, like been binge free for a long time? How did you do it?

I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on it, maybe someone could help me

Replies

• clemsonsaint
    Options
    I struggle with binge eating also. It seems like it will be a lifelong challenge. I have a few good days and then I go crazy eating. I think it has gotten worse for me since I have gotten older. Let me know if you come up with any solutions to help.
  • gbers13
    gbers13 Posts: 11
    Options
    I used to struggle with binge eating but i found a very simple way to over come it. not have any junk food in my house. i drink tons of water and when im bored; im starting to go outside and excersize. i snack on grapes and apples like crazy and when im craving chips or cookies i eat them but only one or too. if your craving something salty or sweet find a fruit or veggie that will accommodate.
  • jenrn12
    jenrn12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also. I love to bake, so I can eat the dough...no wonder I'm fat and can't lose weight! I do it out of all emotions, and the fact that I have been doing this behavior for so long has only made it stronger. To give it up is easier said then done. I can go 3 weeks and then find some excuse to make something, and the next thing you know I've eaten a cup of cookie dough! I snack before dinner, hell I ate 3 corn muffins before dinner last night! This behavior needs to stop. Ugh.
    I am an avid biker, and could actually be a decent competitive racer if I could get my diet in order. My list of "trigger foods" is becoming so long..I wish I could break the cycle to!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I went through four months of binge eating and managed to put on ten pounds. I would say try changing something on your binge eating days. Even if you eat like crazy, make sure to work out like you did on a good day. It might throw a wrench in your brain's plans.
  • crazyola26
    crazyola26 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hey Icey, I've also had this problem. It's been more of a daily thing for me -- I wake up motivated, and by 3 or 4 I feeling like I'm starving and give up and go nuts. What a cycle! It helps to know there's a supportive person out there who understands. Why don't we make a group devoted to staying on track and motivate one another? I'd love to have a group of people I can check in with daily and say 'hey, I am really having a tough time, need some encouragement' and also encourage others. Would this help you??
  • DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    On your 'good' days, are you depriving yourself of things you really want to eat? If you are, then on your good days, add one thing that you love to eat and treat yourself to it. You want to establish a life-long habit, and if you can break yourself of the cycle of good versus bad days, you will feel much happier.
  • 76wendyful
    76wendyful Posts: 202
    Options
    I am there too. Yesterday was a major setback for me. In the past when I have tried to lose the weight the only thing that really worked was to give up sweets cold turkey. I would not even let myself have one cookie or a bite of a cookie. I satisfied my sweet craving with peanut butter and I logged it and stayed within my calories. Good luck to you!
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    Hey Icey, I've also had this problem. It's been more of a daily thing for me -- I wake up motivated, and by 3 or 4 I feeling like I'm starving and give up and go nuts. What a cycle! It helps to know there's a supportive person out there who understands. Why don't we make a group devoted to staying on track and motivate one another? I'd love to have a group of people I can check in with daily and say 'hey, I am really having a tough time, need some encouragement' and also encourage others. Would this help you??

This is me right here, for the last month or so. I'm okay every morning but come every afternoon, or right after dinner, I am hungry and I start eating everything. Then once I have gone over my allotted calories I decide just to go on a full on binge. It's a vicious cycle that I'm trying to break. I've done good for 2 days. I wish I could say more, but 2 is better than none.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I keep on binging, it sort of goes like this:

3-5 great days, eating within calories + exercising well
    then 1-2 bad days of binging and skipping workouts, being lazy.

I know if I keep having these binges I will just stay at the same weight.

I'm trying to stop, it just seems hard. Any one else struggle with binge eating?

I think mine is a combination of emotional eating (stress, bored, tired, sad, any emotion I get overwhelmed with or don't want to feel)
    and restricting calories.

Anyone relate ? Has anyone overcame binging, like been binge free for a long time? How did you do it?

I'd love to hear anyones thoughts on it, maybe someone could help me

I have been stress eating for weeks now. I am struggling with a situation that is making me crazy which in turn makes me eat, which makes me gain, which depresses me which makes me eat... :sad:

It's a horrible cycle and I don't know how to break it... I hope we both find some relief from your post.. You can add me if you like.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OA.org telephone meetings have helped me greatly. They are sometimes lame but they keep me on track.
  • sydnisd183
    sydnisd183 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would join the group to get and give support! I'm in a binge mode now. I've been doing good for the past 6 weeks. I weighed myself Sunday and saw the weight didn't move down. For the 2nd week in a row. EVEN THOUGH INCHES ARE GOING DOWN, I didn't care. Only cared about the scale number. I've been bingeing since Sunday. I can't stand being so selfish to myself, not wanting to keep on track if I don't hear what I want to hear EXACTLY like I want to hear it. ugh.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking this too....i've been really bad lately....and by lately i mean for months. my weight has stayed with in 10lbs up and down because of all this binging. i do it when i'm mad, angry, bored, rewards....i can't seem to stop. I've been 30-40lbs from goal since december now....i'd really like to get there.
  • DinahLuneke
    DinahLuneke Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Icey Rain,

Been there, done that. Read Dr. Phil McGraw's Book, 7 Healthy Keys to Weight Loss. And, one of the keys that stuck in my mind to help with binge eating is "When eating behavior becomes AUTOMATIC, you stop paying attention to or evaluating the cause-and-effect of what binge eating does to us."

So, automatic eating takes place when eating chips in front of the TV, eating big tub of buttered popcorn at the movie, eating candy while driving or working on the computer, etc. - everyone has their own "automatic eating" behaviors that we need to recognize.

So, good luck in finding out what your automatic eating moments are every few days!

Best,

Dinah in Dayton
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I think you will find lots who can relate to you, but not too many with any answers! I also have this problem. I will exercise twice a day, stay on track, eat well, feel good... and then I will get a craving, or my hubby will eat something good, and I feel sorry for myself and give in. I will go up 5-10 lbs in 2 days and totally ruin all I did in the week before that, and just cannot get anywhere. Over the course of the last year and half, I have put back on 30 lbs... UGH!!!! I hate it too and find it very hard to break the cycle. I cannot give in and have a little of something, because then I will have to go hog out on it. I am posting to "understand" and hope to get notice if someone has any good ideas for fixing it. I have tried "not dieting" too to break the restriction part of wanting to binge, and it did not work for me either. I am 30-40 lbs overweight and feel like I am 200 lbs overweight.
  • make_meup
    make_meup Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem.. but I notice if I don't buy junk foods n look at my MFP calories n see how much each thing is.. I think to my self its sooo much harder to burn wat u just ate! So I try my best to keep myself busy wit my kids or house chores, or crafts.. even playing with my make up creating new looks keeps my mind off food.. basically find a hobby n don't buy junk! Hope this helps..
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem a lot. But I have noticed, if I don't eat a satisfying/filling breakfast & lunch then I end up snacking like crazy and often go for the wrong foods, so I have to focus on eating fulfilling meals. This website has helped me though, because I have to own it up. I think that is why I gained so much weight is the binge eating.
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also. Some things that seem to be helping me:

I have significantly increased my daily protein
    I eat every few hours (with protein)
    Exercising curbs my appetite
    Lowering my sodium curbs my sweet tooth

I hope this helps you also.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater too. I had lost 47 pounds but I got shin splints and it pissed me off so I binge ate myself up 17 pounds. Now I'm losing again. Stress and emotional stuff doesn't help. I am so glad I finally broke the bad cycle. I bought a Fitbit that helps to motivate me. I wish you the best of luck. I think many people on MFP are binge eaters. That's why we are all here. I feel it's a life long battle. I know it will be for me. Just do the best you can. Find some way to motivate yourself. Find an exercise that you really don't mind doing. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. It's horrible and I feel like sh** and so worthless after.

I eat clean but allow some treats and stay on track most of the time but then, once every few days, I go nuts. It's like some stronger force takes over. Did you ever see the film Finding Nemo and THAT look in the sharks eyes? That's me!
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I too have this problem too. Eat well all week long, then the week comes and shoves a beer and tooo much food down your throat-all by your own choice! I do have some good days though. Some times I will try and stick to the same or nearly the same eating schedule that I do at work. And I will also work out on saturdays. So that helps. I try to keep busy too. That keeps me distracted and not bored. Clean the garage, the house, do some yard work, or go to the beach!