To exercise or not to exercise

2»

Replies

• PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    The scale is not a good indicator of fat loss.

You may be like me- when you exercise, you hold water and the scale stays the same or even goes up a bit. Stop exercising and the scale moves down again.

But I know from experience that it's the combination of a good diet, low sodium, and exercise that I am getting fat loss (inches lost). A couple of times I've lost a pants size without the scale moving hardly at all.

This x100.

The scale is bollox. Measure. Take before and after pictures. Check the fit of your clothes.
  • Exercise, make it a habit; get an accurate scale.
  • glyndalin
    glyndalin Posts: 29 Member
    Keep in mind that the scale is a very small piece of the picture. In July, I "only" lost 6 pounds, but the body fat percentage dropped 6%. I lost 16 pounds of fat and gained 10 pounds of lean mass by that calculation. Did it look like "slower weight loss" because of exercise if I just looked at the scale? Sure! In fact, some weeks, it even looked like I was gaining. But don't focus on the "fast or slow". Focus on "health." Thin and unhealthy may be better for self-esteem, but it's not any better than heavy and unhealthy as far as your body is concerned. IMHO and preaching to myself. ;P
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    OP, I feel your pain. Since April, the only weight I've lost is the week I didn't get to go to the gym. I've been toying with the idea of forgetting the gym because it's really making me depressed to work my wazoo off and have no result. Thank you everyone for the responses. I will keep on keepin on.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I tend to lose slowly no matter if I exercise or not. Actually, I lose in phases - like 2-4lbs one week then nothing for a month and repeat. This is the same whether I exercise or not.

I try to exercise every day but I have found that sometimes I just get tired of it and have to mix it up or take a break. As long as I stay within my calorie goal, with or without exercise, I still loose consistantly (for me anyway).
  • Get a measuring tape!!!

There are weeks when I have GAINED weight on the scale, but LOST 1/4" from my waist. This is the ultimate win!!!

If I didn't have the tape, I would have been discouraged.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    I think that exercise is very important. When I don't get enough movement in my day (I work a desk job) my body feels it and craves exercise. Even if you just walk for 15 to 30 minutes a day it is very important. :) I really enjoy belly dancing as a fun way to burn a bunch of calories.
  • Jeebs71
    Jeebs71 Posts: 41
    Exercise. Strength train before CV, I try to do a 40 min strength, then 20 min CV. I've found weeks where I haven't lost any weight according to the scales, yet have lost cms on my waist and hips. Can definitely see a difference in my face/body and exercising makes me feel better, fitter and I certainly sleep better. My advice is definitely exercise, but also ensure you eat back your exercise calories. I found the exercise calorie values on MFP were very high, so I bought a fitbit, which accurately measures your calories burnt and syncs with MFP to tell you exactly how many calories you have to eat back. A bit expensive yes, but I think it has been worth every penny. I also have a protein shake after exercising, as I wasn't getting enough protein from my diet (when I say diet I mean food in general). I am not dieting as such, but have changed my eating habits to eat healthier which I want to continue for the rest of my life. Someone I know is on a weight loss merry go round (loses weight, puts it back on, loses it again etc) but never exercises and the amount of saggy skin is not too attractive. Strength training definitely helps tone everything up.
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    I lost 36 lbs without exercising and found it was easier to just concentrate on my diet alone rather than trying to figure out how much to eat with exercising. Weight loss is 80-90% what you put in your mouth and exercise helps weight loss but mostly maintains your muscle during weight loss. It is probably best to diet and exercise, but I found it really hard to manage both in the beginning. I say whatever works best for you to lose weight, then do that.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    So I have a dilema.... I find that when I have exercised while dieting in the past that my weight loss was extremely slow compared to just dieting alone. I know that exercise is important not only for weighloss, but other health benefits. However, I feel I need to get some weight off first and then incorporate an exercise plan. Does anyone else have this issue?

What?.... :huh:

I started my journey in March this year, I did 1 month of exercise before being told not to due to medical reasons. 3 months later I could exercise again. Now I'm feeling better than ever, I'm healthier and fitter....and my body looks a whole load better.

But at the end of the day this is your personal journey and only you can do it.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    ~sighing~

I really, really hate to say this, but...

Exercise.

In my head this shouldn't just be about losing weight, but getting healthier as a whole, and that requires exercise.

It might well slow down the weight loss, but I've seen quite a few success stories that show people at the same weight but looking incredibly better because they are fitter.
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Yup I'm with the majority here......Exercise a long with a healthier diet will work wonders. Stop obsessing about the scales. I don't have any, that way I'm not beating myself up with every teeny tiny weight shift. I'm here for a permanent change in my life. More active and healthier food choices 90% of the time. And it's great. Especially with the awesome friends you'll make here who will motivate, encourage and sweat along with you.

No excuses......this is your life after all.