How do you lose weight?

Moma_Do
Moma_Do Posts: 108 Member
edited September 20 in Chit-Chat
How did everyone start and what do they do to maintain and keep losing? I like to hear about what others are doing to stay motivated and to glean anything I might be attracted to.

Replies

• jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    I think the most successful thing I did was find foods that are delicious, filling, and low-calorie. Cottage cheese, apples, cheerios, soup, turkey, chicken breasts, dark chocolate (not low-cal but better than milk chocolate). Eat a side of salad with most dinners first - it will help fill your tummy. I also look at exercise as a way to earn calories. If I'm craving something bad for me, I do the work for it. :smile: Keep it simple.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    I did two things to get this far. One was to eat my normal foods, slightly adjusted for lower calories but have smaller portions. I added a side salad to every meal. It is important to not feel deprived. The second was to add exercise back into my life. I started out small with walks and bike rides and worked up to aerobics, yoga and running.

To keep motivated, I read the forums on here and gave myself little treats at different goals. I new shirt, new pants or new fitness watch were low calorie treats that kept me going.

Good Luck on your journey and enjoy the newer leaner you. :flowerforyou:
  • my main motivation was being able to fit into my "cute" clothes again, plus feeling more confident about going out... the first six months when i started i just did portion control then i decided i might as well eat clean so i cut out dairy and processed foods and stuck to whole grains, LOTS Of fruit, tuna, eggs, oatmeal...not very exciting but it worked!! i lost twice as much in four months that i did in the first six months. and of course, LOTS of exercise :) maintaining though, is another story :P
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    First of all dont deprive yourself of the foods you love, try finding recipes that will be just as satisfying. For snacks on the run I like Clif Mini bars-choc chip, peanutbutter, brownies to name a few. Record everything you eat. And start out simple on the exercise, just to get you going. Im not much on salads, so I steam some frozen veggies that come in a bag and season them (no salt), sometimes adding parm cheese or fat free cheddar. Hot veggies seam more filling to me. And drink lots of water. Hope this helps
  • killersprout
    killersprout Posts: 2 Member
    1. Regular exercise you enjoy in a group (doing it alone means I give up easily)
    2. Eat well during the week (the weekends are for me though!)
    3. Plenty of water
    4. I have a fat photo of me and a cut out of a physique I am aiming for - good for motivation.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    I think Portion Control is the main thing, but you won't succeed (IMHO) unless you add consistant exercise to the program. Find something that you enjoy, then start slow --if you are not used to exercizing--and add a little to it each week.
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck on your Journey. You will find all the tools you need here on MFP to keep you going on the right path.
This discussion has been closed.